MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWideners
Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: casting season is upon us

Boolit Master
    I ran 2 pots worth of 359-125 HPs yesterday, it was in the 70s here. That was all my left arm was good for with the 4 cavity brass mold but they were 25lb pots. I'm going to have to start exercising in the off season now.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

January to April for me. I dont need much this year but I might add a few to a couple calibers.

I honestly don't think I've ever cast based on what time of the year it was. Either I need to cast some, or I don't. I guess it varies for a lot of us and what region of the country we live in. I'm not that far geographically located from Lightman over in Arkansas. Heat & humidity can make it mighty rough if you're in an un-airconditioned shop. I use the spring and fall when the temps are in the 70's to render WW's into ingots. When I cast, I tend to cast 3 pound coffee cans full of whatever it is I'm casting. The one exception at this time is the little NOE copy of Lyman's #356242 for my 380 Auto. I'm pretty sure a 3 pound coffee can of those would last a mighty good while. I seldom cast, size and lube then store my bullets. I leave them as cast until needed.

My casting sessions may be several hours long, or until I'm worn out. Why make it a job rather than an pleasurable extension of my shooting hobby? I've a great little shop, a good sound system and never in a hurry. One of the benefits of being retired

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Master

Murphy I'm like you I enjoy it, just not when it's 93* with 80% humidity or better. I have a nice pole barn with internet and good tunes. I like to be outside most of the time and the barn allows me to do that. I also like to stand when I cast so I have built a taller work bench that puts things at the level I like. I try to cast more than I will use so I just have them on hand when I want them and not forced to cast because I need them. I then powder coat and size to have them ready to go. They won't spoil. So when it cools off I can cast and watch the cows, horses and birds all at the same time. How could you not like that?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    Wayne I can sympathize with your position, though I only had that for three months it seemed forever. Listen to the Doc. Fortunately there are some good commercially cast boolits available from some venders on the site here. you just have to get someone bring them in when delivered and put them next to the press for you when your ready. A box of 2000 147gr 9mm is WAY OVER your limit right now. Stay healthy.
    Oh, yeah, WAY over! Since the range is a 50 minute drive and I'm limited to how long I can stay in the car - not a lot of shooting going on either. I have plenty if ammo already made up. That's not a problem - and some brass to load as well.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Winter is good for casting.

I didn't shoot much at all this summer... I figured I better concentrate on motorbikes while I still can @ 58 years, a-fib , stent etc. I'll shoot and cast all winter again.

Trying not to buy more molds but there is this 20 gauge slug mold that keeps calling my name.

Boolit Master
    I've been keeping my eye on the weather. Looks to be in the mid 70's for a few days anyhow. Due to the temps so far just barely been able to dip into the 6 gallon bucket of wheel weights I was given a few weeks ago. 23 pounds smelted into 1 pound ingots.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

It was 101 degrees here yesterday so I melted a pot full of poached lead eggs.
    I'll cast when it cools down which is starting to happen thankfully.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

For myself.....not until hunting season is over. However, I “was” multi-tasking.....melting wheel weights and pouring ingots in the pole barn, while I was doing other outside home chores! I got a lot of those much needed steps in preparation for hunting/packing!

As an addendum: we had a low of 32 F here yesterday morning..... wow was it nice! memtb
    You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“LETS GO BRANDON”

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12