Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: casting season is upon us

Boolit Master

casting season is upon us

finally the heat of summer is about to break, rain and nights in the 40's are forecast for the weekend here on the edge of the smokies.
    for me this is great news I hate to melt lead and cast bullets when sweat is dripping off my brow and It seems I can't stop leaking.
    although I took a bit of a dive this summer with some 45 colt, 357 mag and 35 rem casting and loading
    I try to make goals, one is to work up 35 whelen loads with 35-250. am I just one of a few that does most of my casting in the cooler fall weather.

Boolit Grand Master

Its still hot here although its cooling down and the days are getting shorter. I do most of my casting in the Winter after hunting season closes. Pretty often I have a couple of buddies that come over and we cast together. Two of them leave their casting gear here, everything except their molds. Maybe once a week until it gets hot.

Boolit Master
    It was in the high 90s here until the last few days, woke up to fog today. I'm out of 125g HPs so I may cast a few today.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Moderator Emeritus

90º and windy as all heck yesterday in Minnesota.
    suppose to be another 90º on Sunday.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

Casting and Football Season ...
    ...Who Can Ask For Anything More
    Geaux LSU Tigers !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Doesn't look like I'll be doing much casting this winter. Finished powder-coating my most recent batch of RCBS 30-165SIL a couple days ago and, boxing them for storage, was reminded that I've got a lot more boolits on hand than primers. Oh well, I've got a few project that I've been putting off...a #5 RB to complete, an M700 that should be back from JES, in a few weeks, a 70's -vintage Marlin 1894 that needs some work...so I'll keep myself busy.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

On the Gulf Coast. We might see 40s by Christmas; January for sure.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Casting and Football Season ...
    ...Who Can Ask For Anything More
    Geaux LSU Tigers !
    Gary
    Where you want them to Geaux?

MSU Bulldog here....

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    For me, Fall and Spring are the best times to cast. When I cast in the Winter, my feet always get cold, because I am sitting and not moving around much. Melting scrap to make ingots during winter definitely uses more propane.

Boolit Master
    Due to the primer shortage, I have not been shooting very much. I think my casting equipment will just set on the shelf for this winter.

It will be a while before I can cast here in South Texas. Unless the Yankees come down here and tell us Texicans what we can and can't do.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    On the Gulf Coast. We might see 40s by Christmas; January for sure.
    Gonna be a while for for me too. low 90's every day. maybe by Nov. or Dec. it will cool off enough in the evenings.
    Last edited by Finster101; 09-18-2021 at 08:57 AM.

Boolit Master
    Mid 70’s here today. I just shut off my Lee pot 10 minutes ago. I like fall and spring casting.

Boolit Master

I need to cast a bunch this fall - winter. The wife wanted me to clean out one of the 20 foot storage containers out back - and danggggg. Found thousands and thousands of pieces of brass I had forgotten about (9mm, 38spcl, 357, 41 mag, 44 spill, 44mag, .223, 7mm, 30-30, 308, 30-06, 30-40, 300 win mag, 8mm, 50BMG and who knows what else is hiding in the boxes/ammo cans underneath.

Yep; got to cast a BUNCH this fall and winter. Only have a dozen or so Large Flat Rate boxes full lead - have to consider if I need more of that too. Yep; need to buy more primers or improve my "Primer Rebuild Skills".
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    Well, I dunno. I've already got plenty of boolits in multiple calibers. I really enjoy casting in the fall here in eastern TN. I need to shoot up some LP primer .45 acp so I can trade them off for SP brass. I'm in the process of changing all my .45 acp from LP to SP primer brass. Since I reload 9mm also it will benefit me to have all my pistol brass in SP primer configuration. That way when I buy SP primers I'll be buying for both calibers. Only large (LP) primers needed would be for .45 Colt. Everything else is LR primers. Once I get the LP primer brass shot up, anyone wanna trade 1 for 1, SP for LP? Bullet Caster
    Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father but by me."

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Handloader109 View Post
    Where you want them to Geaux?

MSU Bulldog here....
    Anywhere except UCLA

Sorry about that. Couldn't resist. When the Ducks lose, feel free to bash them.

Boolit Master
    Yesterday was my day to start the Fall casting sessions. Some time ago I bought a Lyman mold #429625 which is a 2-piece assembly - one mold for the base and another for the nose. The base casts are intended to be dropped with a harder lead to allow higher velocity and the noses with softer lead to allow expansion. Glue a nose cast into a base cast and all is well. However, the seller had only the base mold (the nose mold had been "misplaced") for sale. Not to worry, I will be experimenting with only the base section as a "yawning" HP pattern weighing 175 grains, similar to the weight range of the 180 grain Lyman #429348 WC mold (another of my favorites). Looking forward to group sizes and expansion results.

Boolit Grand Master

Since I still have a 10lb lifting limit I won't be casting this fall. Still can't bend either, which vastly limits what I can do. My surgeon told me one thing that made me sit up and take notice. "Wayne", he said, "If you don't follow my instructions you can literally bend the metal I put in your back." I had never heard that before. Yes, I'm taking it careful.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Cooling off here in NH, and I am getting ready to do a smelting session.
    I have two sorted FULL 5 gallon buckets to do. That should last me for the winter season and then some.
    I did some trading here and wiped out my ingots, so I need to be prepared for winter casting/reloading.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master

Wayne I can sympathize with your position, though I only had that for three months it seemed forever. Listen to the Doc. Fortunately there are some good commercially cast boolits available from some venders on the site here. you just have to get someone bring them in when delivered and put them next to the press for you when your ready. A box of 2000 147gr 9mm is WAY OVER your limit right now. Stay healthy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast