Snyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: Help with Krag scope rail!

Boolit Buddy

Help with Krag scope rail!

A few years ago I was sprucing up my Krag with a new barrel and blue job so I had my smith add a Kraghouse long rail, just in case a scope would let me shoot tighter groups.
    I finally got a 2-7 power scout scope and had some see thru rings. but try as I might I could not get it even close to zero at 25 or 50 yards, even with my best loadings. 4' down and 3' right was all I could adjust for.

I think the rail is not on the gun square and even. I don't know what to do?

Boolit Master
    4 feet down and 3 foot to the right @ 25 yards, is way off. I am experimenting with my 1899 Krag for a scout setup, with a 2X leupold scope. The Krag barrel has considerable taper. I experimented with fitting an old weaver base, using the existing rear sight holes. I retapped them to 8-40 threads. I was shooting high @ max adjustment, and had to put about .050 of shims, at the front, to bring the zero down. Windage was good. The Kraghause mount is tapered to compensate for the barrel contour. I contacted Kraghause by email, for more info on their mounts, and never got a response. I don't know if they are in business anymore or not. I think I will try to make my own custom mount by modifying a thick weaver base, and cutting a taper, to match the barrel.

Is it possible the gunsmith put the mount on backwards? Was your new barrel drilled and tapped for the rear sight, or did the gunsmith do it? Can you post a detailed photo?

Get yourself some thin brass shim material and a boresighter [laser or oldtime screen] and shim between the mount and bbl or scope and mount to remove as much runout as you can and then adjust the scope. I had the long Kraghaus mount put on my Krag and have had no problems. Of course with the rifle clamped down you can always remove the bolt and look through the bbl at a target and line up crosshairs the old school way.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5A121617-DA4F-47CB-B788-36DDF05795CF.jpg  
    Last edited by Baltimoreed; 09-17-2021 at 04:13 PM.

Boolit Master
    Is it an orginal barrel or has it been rebarreled the kraghaus mount will work on an org. but have problems with other than org.

Pull the bolt and bore sight it to see if it lines up to avoid wasting ammo.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk