Thread: New CZ 527 .22 Hornet

Boolit Master
    What CZ was before CZ. www.gunbroker.com/item/909310157

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by PB234 View Post
    What CZ was before CZ. www.gunbroker.com/item/909310157
    That is really slick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Zbrojovka BRNO Model 1 in 22lr my grandfather got in Brazil in 1950 it has the express rear and hooded front sights and 2 5.round clips it even has a chec scope.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master

the best brass that I have found for the 22 Hornet is RWS brand,
    after that comes Winchester/Remington
    after that comes Prvi
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by "Spoon" View Post
    That is really slick.

I am the second owner of one that was mostly a safe queen. It is a safe queen for me too. The balance of it is far superior to the CZ which is also a very nice rifle. The bid was about $1200 last time I looked at the auction with the top bidder having 2 bits sitting in a row. One cold bid him up just is one wanted to cost hime some money.

I am tempted to place a bid even though the magazines are very very difficult to did. My guess is the magazine is worth $150 to $200.

So here is a terrific rifle in great shape probably selling for about $1400 and one can't get ammo and probably best off not shooting it much or chancing scratching the stock. It is very tempting, but I am not buying things that me heirs will have to deal with.

The old Brno 22s are also terrific. I like the number 1 for its feel for me. Only thing I have found with better balance/feel is the Zephyr - the old ones which now sell for a a lot of money especially is with double set trigger.

Shame I am too old to buy much of anything. This auction is very nice and a decent value at these price levels. Hate to say it but $1600 would not surprise me if a couple of knowledgeable buyers who want it turn up. I would rather have it than a new Annie Hornet. Is it worth 2 or 3 times a CZ527? Probably not but it is nice.

Boolit Master
    Thank goodness it is missing the front sight hood reducing the collector value by a few hundred making me keep my $ in my pocket. Otherwise it is beautiful. Prices on this auction site have become very high. This is the Hornet I would buy and even try to find the right low sized bullets for as it has the old (.223?) sizing rather than the newer .224 (?). No idea how it shoots cast.

Glad it is missing a part.

Boolit Master
    $1625 and sold. A good CZ527 is a far better value. One could refinish the CZ stock and have a stunning rifle that shoots great and magazines are easy to get and about $39. I would far rather have the CZ and a bunch of money. Shoots as well. Doesn't fit as a safe queen. CZ is just a great rifle and a great value. Enjoy the Hornet and start hoping they reproduce in your safe and a Fireball coming along.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by PB234 View Post
    $1625 and sold. A good CZ527 is a far better value. One could refinish the CZ stock and have a stunning rifle that shoots great and magazines are easy to get and about $39. I would far rather have the CZ and a bunch of money. Shoots as well. Doesn't fit as a safe queen. CZ is just a great rifle and a great value. Enjoy the Hornet and start hoping they reproduce in your safe and a Fireball coming along.
    I think the wood on my 527s is pretty sharp and refinishing seems unnecessary, but I’m just a common fella with simple tastes. All my CZs shoot way better than I do. Thanks for all the help.

Boolit Master
    I am really no longer buying rifles, but I paid over original manufacturer's suggested retail for a NIB 527 that was discontinued years ago. Wanted it back then and let it slip away. Took a few years to find a good one.

A decade or two ago I had a gunsmith that worked for himself part time and part time as a shotgun smith for CZ. He would refinishing stocks on CZ long guns and they were absolutely beautiful. Not just nice wood like we all hope for when buying a CZ, but after being refinished absolutely beautiful, The wood CZ was using was much better than the factory finish would show. At the time I would not consider spending the $ to have him refinish a stock. Probably still would not. If I were anything of a woodworker it is something I would look at closely.

You know how sometimes one sees a picture of an excellent stock and thinks I wish I had the $ to have that? The stocks under the CZ factory finishes are often that nice after refinishing. Wish I had some skill refinishing .

Great rifle you have. Hornet is a fun round. Every CZ I have touched has been excellent. Built well enough they can be eventually handed down to the next generation.

I am a simple guy who enjoys what he has too, but the refinished CZ stocks I have seen make me shake my head in wonder.

Boolit Bub
    One of these days I may give it a try and refinish mine.

Boolit Grand Master
    I had a #1A in 22 hornet and foolishly sold it. It really liked Lil Gun. First load I tried went under an inch.

Boolit Bub

New CZ 527 .22 Hornet

I’m ready to fire mine up. Ordered a cz rail from DIP so I can use some rings I already had. A dear member on here helped me with some cases. Loaded up some test rounds with a 40 gr Sierra with 10.7 grs of win 296. I shot a couple just looking over the barrel to check length, cleanliness and for any pressure signs. I should have the tail by the end of the week so I’m excited.

Last edited by "Spoon"; 09-29-2021 at 10:22 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12