Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New CZ 527 .22 Hornet

Boolit Bub

New CZ 527 .22 Hornet

I just picked up this CZ. Always wanted a .22 Hornet but never had the pleasure. Anybody got any leads on .22 Hornet brass. I got boolits, powder and even primers but no brass. I am a long time reader but not much of a poster, hence, I can't do a thread on Swappin'. Any help would be appreciated.

"Spoon"

It's tough to find these special brass. I have a 17 Hornet and was looking for some to down size since 17 is even harder to find right now. I haven't found any in stock at all the usual outlets. You can start a WTB (want to buy) ad in S&S just not a want to trade of sell until you reach 30 posts. Just don't ask for help outside S&S.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Buddy
    You will enjoy the Hornet, real easy to load for and the 527 will shoot.

I bought one abut 15 years ago for the wife, the only work I had to do to it, was glass bed the rear of the barrel. The receiver was good in the factory inletting, but the rear of the barrel needed support to shoot well.

Put a 2x7 Leupold on it and have not looked back, nice groups under and inch with Speer 45 gr J words, on top of some 2400 powder.

PM sent as I have some new Hornady brass that is surplus to my needs.

J Wisner

Boolit Master
    when I saw title of this thread the first thing that popped into my mind is that right about now ammo or brass for the hornet must be like unobtanium.
    its the caliber for me that is the most difficult policing the brass when out shooting right next to the 25-20. if and when you do find brass might want to stock up real good.

I gave you some bad info on a want to buy ad. You don't have access to S&S until you have 30 posts so you were right. Sorry about that.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    NAGR member

Boolit Master
    Hornet will bend necks when reloading if not very careful. Suspect it might be a couple years before it is produced again and on the shelves. Lots of interesting rifles will be impossible to get ammo for. Suggest overpaying for any factory you can find and getting some brass that way. Interesting cartridge and CZ is an excellent rifle, but what use is the rifle if you can't feed it? I like the 527 Hornet but don't have one. About the only thing worth buying now, unless you have all the components in hand, is a 223 which you can download if wanting Hornet like ballistics. People are going to have a lot of paper weights. Plan to check out the pricing of rifles that use uncommon ammo and see how demand has changed. Imagine liking old Mannlichers and their specialized calibers. What is a 221 Fireball worth when ammo or brass is probably a couple years down the road at best. There was a fellow who used to make it selling here but he passed away.

When thinking about it if one can find the CZ in 221 Fireball and learn to convert 223 cases to 221 Fireball one might have a solution to the ballistic solution sought. Might be hard to find the CZ Fireball but there are probably some folks who have one and can't find ammo to shoot and willing to unload a rifle that can't easily be fed.

Boolit Master
    The CZ527 and Hornet is a great combo. A friend has one and REALLY likes it. Too bad about brass scarcity though.

For saving cases I would recommend slightly belling your case necks even for jacketed bullets though.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

I also found using a Factory crimp die solves the bent necks on my 17HH and as Three44s belling the mouth really helps to keep from having to roll crimp I use one of the NOE expanders to put a slight bell even with jacketed.

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/prod...er-plug-rifle/
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    NAGR member

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for all the advice. I hope to get some brass in and would buy overpriced factory. I love the cz platform. I have a .223 and .204 Ruger. Still like to find a .17 Hornet. For the .22 Hornet I have some win 296 and I may try some of the 50ish grain .223 stuff I have 4895. Like to find some lil gun. Anybody got pics of their scope mounts. Typically I go cheap from the bushnell outlet. I plan on putting a takeoff bushnell trophy series 6-24. It’s not a first focal plane but it does pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Minerat View Post
    I also found using a Factory crimp die solves the bent necks on my 17HH and as Three44s belling the mouth really helps to keep from having to roll crimp I use one of the NOE expanders to put a slight bell even with jacketed.

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/prod...er-plug-rifle/
    I will check out the expander. I ordered a Lee set either FCD also went ahead and got a collet neck sizing die.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by "Spoon" View Post
    I will check out the expander. I ordered a Lee set either FCD also went ahead and got a collet neck sizing die.

Question on the expanding die. I have one but if I understand the link I just need to get the .226 insert, right?

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by James Wisner View Post
    You will enjoy the Hornet, real easy to load for and the 527 will shoot.

I bought one abut 15 years ago for the wife, the only work I had to do to it, was glass bed the rear of the barrel. The receiver was good in the factory inletting, but the rear of the barrel needed support to shoot well.

Put a 2x7 Leupold on it and have not looked back, nice groups under and inch with Speer 45 gr J words, on top of some 2400 powder.

PM sent as I have some new Hornady brass that is surplus to my needs.

J Wisner
    Thanks for the brass. I ordered some Speer Bullets from midway. I’ll keep my eye out for powder. Right now I have some win 296. I traded a Ruger vaquero talo last cowboy in 45 Colt in for it. I loved the pistol with the birds head grips but I just couldn’t shoot it well. I did manage to prove that you can cut a chain with it just like in the movies. Shot my steel gong chain with it. Blew it apart.

Question on the expanding die. I have one but if I understand the link I just need to get the .226 insert, right?

That's what I would get. I started with the universal case expander and it worked alright but you had to really fine tune it or it would over expand unlike the NOE expander. The FDC resizes the neck without crushing it. I tried taking the decaping pin out and resizing the neck with the bullet in to take the flair out. Nope didn't work just crushed the shoulder leaving a bulge right where the shoulder meets the case body.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Minerat View Post
    That's what I would get. I started with the universal case expander and it worked alright but you had to really fine tune it or it would over expand unlike the NOE expander. The FDC resizes the neck without crushing it. I tried taking the decaping pin out and resizing the neck with the bullet in to take the flair out. Nope didn't work just crushed the shoulder leaving a bulge right where the shoulder meets the case body.
    Thanks for the tip. I ordered the expander. Lol it ended up with shipping costing more than I paid for the universal die. But with the lack of replacement cases it would not take long to break even with damaged cases.

Boolit Master
    Three CZ 527 all with similar needs might be served by one really good scope rather than three lesser and cheaper scopes by using detachable rings like those from Warne and moving the scope from rifle to rifle. Don't know what is available these days, but the SWFA brand ultra light scope (think that is the right name) variable sold by SWFA was a very well priced very light small scope when I bought one. The make it in both a 50 and 100 yard parallax version to use for either rimfire or centerfire. I use the rimfire one and would like to get one for a centerfire. Unfortunately it doesn't have an adjustable parallax, but it is small, light and has good glass.

Great group of CZ rifles you have. I saw a CZ where the wood was stripped of the OEM finish and refinished with something nicer. The wood was beautiful. Someone here was posting groups from a CZ 527 Russian carbine where the group at 100 yards was one ragged hole using H335 (I think I recall correctly) and a boolit cast from a Lee mold.

Great rifle. This review is absolutely right: www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMg_tKSSX9Q .

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Nice, always wanted one in a 17 hornet. I keep contemplating on a 22 hornet but then I just keep telling myself to download my 223 LTR and call it a day.

......I love the cz platform. I have a .223 and .204 Ruger. Still like to find a .17 Hornet. For the .22 Hornet I have some win 296 and I may try some of the 50ish grain .223 stuff I have 4895. Like to find some lil gun. Anybody got pics of their scope mounts.....
    I don't use mounts on my CZ 527's, I use rings that attach directly to the action. My Hornet came with factory rings and the other 2 have Burris rings I bought off Amazon ($44 right now). The Burris are very nicely finished.

Lots of love for Lil-Gun on the internets, not from me, I tried it a few times; but my Hornet prefers H110. Try your 296, you might be all set for 5600 shots with your jug.

Set your dies to match your rifle the right way, be gentle guiding the brass into your dies and brass life can be long in the CZ Hornet. My original box of Winchester is very near 20 reloads. I set my size die back a bit and loaded/shot the brass until it was hard to chamber, then I moved the die in just enough to bump the shoulder to fit; locked it in and left it there.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Happiness is a couple of 38's and a bucket of ammo.

My 527 has a Nikon Prostaff BDC 3.5x14x50 mounted with CZ rings. It shoots ligit sub 1/2 MOA 5 shot groups at 100 yds. I use 9.7 gr LtlGun @ 3530 fps 20gr Vmax and 11.3 gr CFE BLk for the 25gr Vmax. Remember this is a 17 HH so you may have different results in another calibar.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    NAGR member

Boolit Buddy
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/910950937

That's a buck a piece but times are what they are. On ammoseek you can find factory loaded for two bucks.

Let me add that, totally unrelated to this offer, in the past, I have had bulk repacked W-W brass like this cleanly head-separate after 3 shots where others normally last for ages.
    Last edited by crackers; 09-18-2021 at 12:01 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for all the help. My .204 has cz rings on it. Sometimes they are hard to get.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast