Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
WidenersLoad DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2

Thread: A rose by any other name is still as sweet - Marky's Farky

Boolit Mold

A rose by any other name is still as sweet - Marky's Farky

I am the proud owner of a 700 Nitro Express on a custom build Farquharson.
    Since my first name is Mark - I call it Marky's Farky.
    I note that .700 is not that far away from a 12 gauge shotgun at .729. So lets call it a 13 gauge.
    Shooting it with a full load is nostalgic - it reminds me when Kenny Kalinski punched me in the side of the head as hard as he could in grade school, and it is equally painful on my wallet.
    I thought I could get a mould or two made - shaped like a paradox bullet. One at about 500 grains and another at 1000 for days when I feel the need for speed as well as another punch to the head. I thought I would start out with 70 grains of black and work my way up to say 100 - well within 12 ga muzzleloading and bp shotgun shell data.
    Two questions for my gentle readers:
    1 Who would you get to make the moulds?
    2. What are your thoughts

Boolit Grand Master

Tom at Accurate Molds is your best bet I think. He will make pretty much any diameter you need or want and if he has something in his catalogue you like but wrong caliber he will scale up or down.

You can also design your own boolit and he will make the mould.

He does have some designs similar to the Paradox boolits and I have a copy of the original Kynoch drawings for 12 bore Paradox boolits originally posted by James Gates of Dixie Slugs. I can send it to you or a search of the Casting for Shotguns form should get you there.

https://www.accuratemolds.com/catalo...catalog-anchor

Longbow

Boolit Mold
    thank you longbow!

Mark: I think you could go with 12 ga Slug Loading data and be safe. The Farquharson action is alot stronger than any Shotgun. You could creep up on this load until you couldn't take any more.

I wouldn't go above 700 gr on the slug. I think if you could get 1600 fps out of that you'd be good to go for anything on the planet and most of LA County!

Brenneke makes a 3" 12 ga round called the "Magnum Crush" which is a 1 1/2 oz slug (655gr) at 1604 fps! The TKO (Taylor Knock Out) on that load is 110! .458 Win Mag is 70! Shooting one in a regular shotgun like my M500s would be a once in a lifetime event. They come in packs of 5 rounds so you'd probably have extras.

How much does that gun weigh? I'm thinking 12-14 lbs? We are going to need good pics of the gun ! This is something we don't see often here, so keep it coming.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    It is going to hurt on both ends! Before my shoulder got torn up I bought a 50-90 Sharps with a heavy barrel and it came with some 500gr loaded to 1800fps. The bruises lasted about 2 weeks. It was summer and I was wearing a tee shirt which didn't help. It sounds like you got yourself a hog rifle.

We want pictures !!!

A gun like this is not a common thing! We want to see it. As far as the upcoming shooting part I'd start with some light loads and work up to whatever you can stand. 12 ga. shotgun loads sound about right.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

I guess Marky is not with us anymore?

Randy

Banned

Being a Farquharson fan I’d sure like to see some pictures!

Boolit Master
    According to the gent at Kentucky Ballistics 700 nitro factory ammo $100 a round. He was firing one in a video awhile back. As much as I'd like a double rifle too rich for my pockets

Yeah,, You'd definitely have to reload for that one.

The TKO for that round assuming @ 1600 fps velocity is 160! And you could see why TKO is actually more Representative than Ft. Lbs. when it comes to assessing the power of big bore projectiles. That round dumped all it's energy on the front piece of glass and that carried thru to the other two . The .458 Lott made it thru 3 panes and left a half inch hole.

The TKO of a .458 Lott is around 85-90. The .700 NE is close to twice that. It would literally stop a pickup truck dead in it's tracks.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 09-30-2021 at 05:38 PM.

Boolit Mold
    Marky is still here, having been waylaid by work and other issues....
    The rifle ways 14 pounds.
    I shot it in the white, it is being finished up and I hope to have it back in the next 45 days and I will provide a picture to prove it is not a unicorn.
    I am thinking either black or shotgun powders for the 750 grainers, and the 4031 for the 1000 grain bullets. Honestly I would be happy with something I could more or less comfortably shoot a few rounds as a safari is never in the cards for me.