RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything

Thread: Trying to duplicate jacketed velocity in carbine with cast

Boolit Master

Trying to duplicate jacketed velocity in carbine with cast

I'm trying an experiment. I just cast a batch of "120 gr." RN bullets out of straight lino. They are PC'd. Plus they are gas checked. They weigh in at an average of 118.5 gr +/- .2 gr. I'm going to see if I can get up to 2000 fps with them without pressure signs or leading. If I can, I'll have duplicated the standard carbine load with cast. The other part of this experiment is to see if those hard bullets will still maintain accuracy at those velocities. Should be interesting. I'll post results when I get the chance to actually do the testing. Might take a while with my schedule....

Boolit Master
    I’ve actually done the same but easier.
    I’m using the Lee 6-cavity 93gr RN, cast from acww, and coated with Harbor Freight powder coat using “shake and bake” method.
    I’m sizing.311” and loading over 12.4gr of #2400.
    From my ‘43 Saginaw they’re more accurate than milspec ball. Which really isn’t saying much as it’s about 4” at 50yds. Think .22lr on steroids.
    But, it’s good, cheap, plinking fun!
    The Lee 113gr RFNGC, and 120gr RNGC over 14.5gr H110 are slightly more powerful but are also MUCH more time consuming and expensive to load.

I'm using a 115gn cast boolit with 12gn of red dot in my 308 for 2100fps, good accuracy and no leading. There is no doubt the boolit will take the higher velocity.

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master
    what caliber are we talking about? carbine? do you mean M1 30 carbine, I wish I had one.
    as far as getting cast to shoot factory round velocity, closest I've gotten so far is in 35 rem, not exactly a military rifle load.
    even in 30-06 best ive probably done is, like many others, is about 2100 fps. but ive never used straight Lino, as hard as ive cast in my limited experience is clip on wheel weights with some tin added it just works, for me anyway.

Boolit Grand Master

Some confusion regards the "carbine" and cartridge in question?
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    With that combination of alloy and gas checks you should be able to do it.

Boolit Master

Carbine. .30M1......You know that little pipsqueek round that won't go through a Chinese winter coat (the heck it won't). Milspec ammo is 110 gr at 1950fps. That is what I want to duplicate with cast.

Quote Originally Posted by jimb16 View Post
    I'm trying an experiment. I just cast a batch of "120 gr." RN bullets out of straight lino. They are PC'd. Plus they are gas checked. They weigh in at an average of 118.5 gr +/- .2 gr. I'm going to see if I can get up to 2000 fps with them without pressure signs or leading. If I can, I'll have duplicated the standard carbine load with cast. The other part of this experiment is to see if those hard bullets will still maintain accuracy at those velocities. Should be interesting. I'll post results when I get the chance to actually do the testing. Might take a while with my schedule....
    Given the fact that you mentioned "120 gr." and "carbine" in your post, I'm going to assume you're referring to an M1 Carbine and its original cartridge.

I have been shooting cast in my M1 Carbines for over a year now. I cast from straight ACWW, check with either commercial copper or home-punched aluminum, and lube/size .309" with a Star lubrisizer. I cast mostly from an RCBS 30-115SP mold(118 gr. +/- RN) but also from a Lyman 311576 (125 gr. +/- RN) and occasionally from a Lee C309-113-F (118 gr. +/- RN).

Here are bullets from the RCBS and Lyman mold flanking a 110 gr. jacketed-

The bullet from the RCBS most closely resembles the profile of the jacketed bullet, so I shoot it most. I have used data for the jacketed bullet, mostly 15.0 gr. of H110/W296 and run it right up to 2000 fps. I've fired this bullet and load through 8 or 9 different carbines and the only one that leaded was an Israeli Arms Int'l (IAI) which leaded slightly the last 6" of the bore. None of the others exhibited any leading at all. This was very surprising to me, but even more surprising was the level of accuracy. By and large these bullets outshoot their jacketed counterparts, even if only slightly. I've since switch to AL2400 and AL410 for cast loads and typically run them 1925-1950 fps with these powders.

Odd thing about cast bullets in these carbines is their POI's seem to vary vs. jacketed. With similar velocities, some of them shoot the bullets from the RCBS mold very close to the 100 gr. FMJ, others shoot them high.

Bullets from the Lyman 311576 mold generally run 150 fps or so slower, but they're really accurate.

I'd say if you can find one of these molds to latch on to it!

I sure am anxious to see how your tests turn out, so please post a range report!

35W
    Last edited by 35 Whelen; 09-17-2021 at 06:39 PM.
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

I keep the fmj and jsp .30 Carbine ammo stashed back and we do all of our fun shooting with the C309113F over the same charges of 296/110 as 110gr jacketed. My wife's Howa Sporter eats them like candy. I'm still a young un when it comes to .30 Carbine- but I like it a lot.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I keep the fmj and jsp .30 Carbine ammo stashed back and we do all of our fun shooting with the C309113F over the same charges of 296/110 as 110gr jacketed. My wife's Howa Sporter eats them like candy. I'm still a young un when it comes to .30 Carbine- but I like it a lot.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
    I'm with you, man! I cast a bunch of these some time back, checked, lubed and sized them, then put them in an empty sour cream tub. I found them a few weeks back and fired a few. Pretty good shooting bullets.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

jimb 16 did you ever try any loads in your carbine?

35W

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master

I've only had a chance to shoot a small number of them so far. Didn't have the chrono with me that day, but the group was comparable to the jacketed 110 gr. loads I was shooting. I was function testing a Rock-Ola that I had just finished sorting out a bunch of problems with. Function was fine and not leading. I'll get to the range pretty soon with a batch of them to chrono.