WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LILGUN Powder in the 300 Blackout

LILGUN Powder in the 300 Blackout

Picked up a lb of Lilgun powder today. Thought maybe it might work in the 300blk AR I put together, Has anyone tried it with cast bullets from 130 to 230 gr. Do not have to be sub loads .

Ive not used it for cast in 300blk but Ive shot A LOT of jacketed with it. Its my go.to powder.for 300blk supers

bstevns: Lil Gun is my go to powder for sonic rounds in the 300 Blackout My favorite cast bullet in the rounds is a 129 SP by Noe. Gp

Boolit Master

I've got a bunch of cast 150s loaded, but haven't had a chance to range test them yet. My AR has a 1:9 twist. Lil Gun works very well with my jacketed 150 Gr. loads.

Boolit Buddy
    Lil gun is my go to for the 220gr Sierra Game Kings (think that it right) that I load sub sonic. Worked the best of the powders I had on hand to try.

Anyone have any loads they care to share

I can pull my load book out tomorrow and tell you some numbers

Boolit Grand Master
    I haven't used it for the .300 Blackout, but I did use it for the .32 H&R Mag with 122 gr RNFP. Worked fine for me in that application.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    Interesting.. I didnt have much joy with lilgun in the BO, which was disappointing because its my goto in the hornets. But I only load the BO supersonic, jacketed or cast.
    I never got the accuracy out of it I get with 1680 and pressure seemed kind of erratic,, as in loads that shot fine today, produced flattening, cratered primers next week.
    But at the time, I was also testing in a single AR carbine. Now that I have 3 BO's in the stable, I may have to revisit it again..

Quote Originally Posted by badguybuster View Post
    I can pull my load book out tomorrow and tell you some numbers
    That would be great!

Still could use a few starting loads Lots of comments about how well it has worked but need some loads.
    My AR has a pistol gas system with adjustable gas block . Favorite bullets are the Lee 155gr Lyman 120gr and the Lee 230gr if this is of help
    Last edited by brstevns; 09-21-2021 at 10:07 PM.

Tuesday bump

I use it with the Hornady 150 grain SP BT, and a Federal Small Rifle Primer:

16”AR with a Carbine Gas System and an H2 buffer—cycles fine

17.20 grains LilGun=2005 fps

With a Berry 150 grain Flat Nose plated Swaged Lead bullet in the same AR had to be single shot loaded:

15.0 grain LilGun=1796 fps
    16.9 grain LilGun=1899 fps

Accuracy was good enough, not measured, but appeared to be 1moa capable at 100yards on the right day with the right shooter. I have only run a handful of these to chronograph and zero my scope.

I should add that most of what I have read indicates that max loads have much greater pressure variations. 17.2 might be as hot as I can go with a boat tail. Speer Gold dots have a flat base and the Speer data goes up to 20 grains. My brass and primers do not show any signs of over pressure with 17.2 grains. In fact, the loads that I have tested with other powders (2400, and Reloader 7) have generated greater signs of pressure and less velocity.

Quote Originally Posted by 1006 View Post
    I should add that most of what I have read indicates that max loads have much greater pressure variations. 17.2 might be as hot as I can go with a boat tail. Speer Gold dots have a flat base and the Speer data goes up to 20 grains. My brass and primers do not show any signs of over pressure with 17.2 grains. In fact, the loads that I have tested with other powders (2400, and Reloader 7) have generated greater signs of pressure and less velocity.
    Thanks for the loads and information

Boolit Master
    The LilGun load listed in the online Hodgdon's data for the 125gr Jacketed bullet shoots lights out with no apparent pressure irregularities
    in my 8 twist 300 BO.
    beltfed/arnie

From all the reports I see on 300blk site, lilgun burns hot (heats the barrel fast) and give high fps but somewhat erratic. Pretty much like H110. 2400 & Rl7 ae somewhat cooler and more consistent but toward the top there isn't much fps difference. Hodgdon recommends magnum primers and that does burn 2400 better. Lilgun is a powder I've never used.
    Whatever!

Lilgun was the only powder my local shop had on the shelves that I though would work, the only other was LongShot.
    Last edited by brstevns; 10-07-2021 at 06:34 PM.

LilGun works great for me.

I have tried 2400, and Reloader 7. You can’t fit enough Reloader 7 in the case to get enough speed with a 150grain for my tastes, and it leaves a gummy carbon filth inside the BCG. 2400 seemed to leave a hard to remove charring on the firing pin of my AR. They both cycled and were accurate.

I went out today to verify a few things on my Lilgun Load. I switched from Federal Small Rifle to Fiocchi, and lost 50fps either to the primer change or to the cooler daytime temperatures (65 verses 95). The Fiocchi works 100% in an AR, but misfires frequently in a Ruger American Ranch.The Federal Primers have produced the most accurate results for me.

The Lilgun does heat the barrel more than other powders at max loads, but the extra velocity seems worth it to me. I think it gives the highest of velocities to the mid weight bullets. If I matched the velocity between powders by using less Lilgun, it would be a very cool running powder. As a reference, it does not heat my AR barrel any more than my hunting rifles in 30.06 or 243 heat up. I just take it easy and do not rapid fire. My SD’s for five shot strings are running at 16fps.
    Last edited by 1006; 09-23-2021 at 07:44 PM.

Any super loads with the Lee 230gr and LilGun?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast