Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
RotoMetals2

Thread: Steve's Gunz' receiver sight for Rossi Model 92?

Boolit Master

Steve's Gunz' receiver sight for Rossi Model 92?

I just picked up another stainless steel Rossi 92 in 45 Colt. I will be buying Steve's 92 kit for it. I am undecided whether to buy his safety plug for the 92 with its integral receiver sight or having the 92 drilled & tapped for a Marble's W&E tang sight. I will be needing adjustability for one lighter handload and another for its very heavy handload for 305-grain Saeco SWC-GC. I also want certain durability. My other 92s have tang sights and I obtain durability by the tang sights' folding down and out of harm's way. But I had not considered doing away with Rossi's safety on either of them. This time, I'm considering but have no experience with doing the replacement thing. I also have no experience with how that safety plug is to be installed to have the integral receiver sight correctly for the sight assembly, nor do I know how the sight is adjusted and set for a load that it stays set.
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Boolit Buddy
    I'd stick with a Marbles tang sight. They have a repeatable adjustment and are probably more accurate than that small peep sight. But it's what you are used to using. I have grown used to using a Marbles tang sight on my Puma 92 in 45 Colt...just had to make the peep a little bigger.

Boolit Master

I bought one of his sights. After installing it I found it wobbled around in the hole. I never could get it to hold zero. I ended up buying a tang sight.
    Remember the Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

Boolit Master
    sounds like I may be I'm all wrong and it may have been a good thing I didn't order a sight

Midway has both the sight and screw set (Marbles) in stock. Sight $119.99 and screw set $6.19.
    If your tang has two screws, large back and small front you shouldn't have to drill and tap it.

The lawyer bolt top safety in retained in the bolt via a crosspin through the sides of the bolt in the locking lug recess'.

Just open the action to expose the locking lug recess' & tap the pin out.

The crosspin is an interference fit in a shallow groove just above the lower end of the plug.

The sight is only adjustable for elevation vise screwing the aperture staff up/down in it's plug.

Steve has also designed his the lower part of the sight's plug to act as a safety when the aperture staff is rotated 90-degrees

Before Steve made his sight available, I made my own using round bar stock shaped/etc for the plug - which I then D/T'd for a Skinner Lo-Pro peep.

There were no windage issues, the rifle zeroing perfectly, due to the safety hole being directly over the FP/bore C/L.

The elevation then zeroed with only a small adjustment, as described above.

These sights, while adjustable for elevation, are best used as "set-n-forget" sights.

This is what the plug I fashioned looked like before I D/T'd it (6-48), plus an installed view.

This is the Skinner Lo-Pro (Skinner's example pic)

http://www.skinnersights.com/lo-pro_sight_7.html

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Bub
    Have one. Works fine. I really like it on the trapper. As I recall, I fitted a thin brass shim to make it fit securely, no wobble on mine. As far as adjustability, there is no windage adjustment--must drift the front sight. Elevation is adjustable, but I would not like having to change it frequently. For me it's a set-and-forget thing. I have tang sights on a couple of other rifles, Skinner Express sights on others. For a Rossi 92 trapper, the Steves Guns sight is my first choice. For 20" rifles I could go either way. For 24", I wouldn't waste that sight radius on anything other than a tang sight.

Boolit Buddy
    I have two of the Stevesgunz peeps. If it fits loose using the provided groove for the retaining pin, you can cut a new one. Did that with both of mine and they don't move. As mentioned, they are elevation adjustable, but not conveniently. I have a Lyman 17A front sight with one. The other will eventually have one, too. I've been doing a pistol caliber silhouette competition that needs sight adjustments. I 3d printed inserts of different heights to make adjustments by swapping inserts.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I'm planning to put a Marble's Bullseye on my next one.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

They are drilled and tapped under the rear sight, nice spot for a scout scope, which I put on mine with.

I like the setup. NOE molds sells the base.

Boolit Master
    I bought a scope base from NOE to fit my Rossi Puma in 454 and found out mine is not drilled and tapped under the rear sight. I did build my own version of the Steve's Gunz' rear sight and I like it. It no longer works as a safety but is solid and easily adjustable for elevation.
    I will drill and tap my Rossi for the scope mount one of these days.

Boolit Master
    FYI, Skinner Sights now makes and sells a sight base for the Rossi, too. They also make a barrel mount aperture sight that fits the Rossi barrel dovetail. GF