Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersLee Precision
Titan Reloading
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Recoil difference between the .40 S&W and 9mm in Glock mid-sized pistols.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b74.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	289082
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Yeah the 40 bashers never stop , started when the round first came out the snide short and weak , now its on to the glory of the reborn 9mm only missing the 45 is king and if it is not a magnum it is to puny .

All pistols need parts replaced , the higher pressure faster you run them the sooner it needs done , thread started out with a simple video , I wish I could say I have shot them to death but I have not , have bought parts for all my calibers and change as I think they need it .

I have bought more then a few police trade ins , most hardly shot , some still brand new but no box , magazines had weak springs in a few , easily replaced , best buy for the dollar in my experiences .

My father always bought used when I was young as money was tight , look the firearm over , check it out , let someone else take the depreciation hit , I still buy some that way , those who switch to the latest greatest firearm of the moment as they have to have it so trade in the hardly shot for newer .

I am always amazed on a casting forum when the jacketed latest greatest comes into play , I have not shot or loaded any jacketed in so long now in pistols , yet I confess to loading jacketed in my rifles , mainly the semi auto or long range flavors , all the levers and the single shots are on lead only diets .

When the 40 fell from law enforcement favor in their rush to follow the feebs , 40 calibers were cheap , was a great time to buy , it was the last large stash of ammo at sportsmans locally when the plandemic was getting into full swing , then it disappeared when it was all that was left .

I do carry a semi auto , but the revolver is still my favorite , a 45 colt just has that special place , anyway shoot what you want I do .

Boolit Master

I have an old (if something barely past 30yrs is old) Glock 23. One of the very first.
    It's been a great Pistol. Functioned perfectly right outa the box. Put about 12,000rds thru it in the first 5yrs I owned her. Only Handgun I fired that wasn't a Single Action Colt or Ruger for a long time.
    My Daughter's started shooting it about 2000, just fell in Love with it. Bought a 9mm conversion bbl about 15yrs ago.
    She usually shoots 9mm, just because it's cheaper. She will say it's a bit snappier in .40S&W, doesn't seem to bother Her.
    I replaced recoil springs at 10,000rds, just seemed like a good limit. Three so far, it seems to like Lee bullets the best. The #401-175-TC & #356-125-2R, both over Titegroup.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    In my limited experience with guns in 380, 9mm, 40, and 45, I would much rather shoot a 45 than a 40. It's not so much the amount of recoil, but the unpleasant snap of the 40 compared to the meaty push of the 45.

Don't put more credence in my opinion than what you paid for it though, I load my 357mag J-frame rounds to 9mm energy. A tactical operator commando I am not.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Boolit Master
    I shot my granddaughter's husband's SR 40. The recoil didn't seem all that fierce, compared to my S&W 586 357 with Mild Magnum loads, but I've never shot a 9mm of any flavor. A very controllable round, given reasonable gun weight. If you are reaally not sure, a local range may have rental examples of both you can try.
    IT IS A FINE AND PLEASANT MADNESS !

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    I think what he's saying is you should perform a function check on your pistols. I would also suggest you take your slide off, pull your firing pin the rear, then push it forward to see if it clicks past the firing pin safety. The FP and FPS on the G3 and G4 .40's have a tendency to batter each other where they interface. I have replaced significant quantities of both. It seems to be worse in the 22's than the 23's and 27's.

If you've got a Gen 3 Glock .40 that's been lubricated with water from the Fountain of Youth, we're happy for you and would like to know where to buy a bottle of the stuff. For estimate's sake, 20,000 rounds of .40 is a solid 10 .50 cal ammo cans filled to the top. If I haven't changed a recoil spring ever, by the time I got to the bottom of the second one, I'd be looking for broken locking block pins, and FP and FPS interface battered. At some point in that party, I'd expect rounds nose-diving in the mags against their tired springs and sticking against the bottom of the feed ramp. Less frequent occurrences might be broken locking blocks (depending on exact production date), a snapped trigger spring (later trigger bars were easier on them), broken frame rails (always the left rear, for some reason), and snapped springs on the slide stop lever. I personally added a snapped trigger pin (early in my secondhand ownership) and cracked frame above the locking pin hole to the list (much closer to it's retirement).

So if you're up to that kind of round count, all on the original OEM parts, and the gun still runs reliably, I'd like to know what you either are or are not doing differently. Pretty much all 180 grains at 1000 fps in my shop.
    i keep them lubed and my plinking ammo pressure is backed off a bit. Only max pressure ammo used is my carry ammo which is probably the same routine most here use in any self defense gun be it a glock or any other handgun or even an ar15. Only springs ive replaced are in my 27 and 29 that get shot will full power ammo all the time and ive NEVER had to replace a spring in a glock branded mag in any of my glocks. The guns get lubed with about anything i happen to have on the shelf but mostly tetra grease or oil. only mag spring malfunctions have been with cheap aftermarket mags. By the sounds of it youve had more glock failures just in your house then ive heard of from all the glock owners i know. But you have me figured out! Im a bald faced lyre that knows little about shooting handguns Ill bow to your vastly superior knowledge. After all ive only been doing this for 50 years. Well thats a lie too. I didnt get my first glock until i was 33 so only 32 years experience with them. Im out of this one. Kind of out of placed here. Not near the experience as some and just a macho redneck that isnt afraid of the violent recoil of a 40sw
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 09-23-2021 at 07:44 AM.

Banned

Yeah the 40 bashers never stop , started when the round first came out the snide short and weak , now its on to the glory of the reborn 9mm only missing the 45 is king and if it is not a magnum it is to puny .
    yup it brings out as many experts as a discussion on the 700 remington being dangerous.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by FLINTNFIRE View Post
    Yeah the 40 bashers never stop. .
    I consider it the Diane Feinstein of pistol cartridges: over many years, it EARNED my hate.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

I actually started out with a dislike and came to like it , but I load my own and I find the 40 and larger to be easier loading then 9mm , for years I did not load 223 either as I did not like handling the smaller bullets and brass .

I own quite a few 9mm pistols and only 1 carbine , I prefer the 40 and 45 carbines over the 9 , I carried a hi-power for awhile and then went back to the 1911 , It all boils down to preferences and dislikes , perceived recoil or something else , be a boring world with all 9mm pistols and no intermediate or larger .

I have seen 9mm pistols with cracks and showing the signs of pressure and abuse , hotrod anything and sooner or later it starts to come undone , maintenance and common sense keep a firearm shooting longer , but on the other hand every gun will sooner or later wear out from use or abuse .

Funny thing is when shooting pistols it was always the 40 that women did not like , well this thread has stirred up the 40 verse 9mm but seemed to be missing the 45acp is king .

Oh as to the diane f word person she was hated from the first time I saw her and heard her if it is a her , you have a good day bigslug

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I carried a hi-power for awhile and then went back to the 1911
    So, you devolved your carry gun?
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    So, you devolved your carry gun?
    I went from a Sig P238 and H&K P2000 to a S&W Mod. 60. Could we say that I devolved to a revolver?
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Boolit Master

Yes I went back to a earlier design , one I am comfortable with and have always liked , and in a caliber I like better then 9mm , once again when I am loading those smaller bullets and brass are more of a pain , maybe if I had more sensitive feelings , but time takes its toll or as the last doctor to stitch my hand said " I hate stitching you men who work outside with your hands and all the scar tissue " I still have my hi-powers and assorted copies of them .

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Snappy or not, I will choose and use my 40 S&W XDM pistol over the three 9 mm's I have for feel, fun, and accuracy any day. The XDM is dead accurate, while the 9's tend to wander hither, thither and yond. And loading the 40's is a lot easier than the 9's.

Boolit Grand Master
    Until reading this I did not realize the 9mm was difficult to reload because it was so small.

It sucks to get old. I know for sure I load 9mm on the 1050, but cannot remember if I ever loaded 9mm on the 650. I had a SDB in 9mm and cannot remember it being a PITA, but I did not shoot much 9mm back then. I did get a conversion for the 550 in case the 1050 dies and the world comes to an end...but have never used it.

I am working on setting up a bullet feeder die on the 1050. Keeping my fingers from getting pinched is the only thing keeping me from cranking out 1000 rounds an hour...lol.

Anyway, good points made by many. Agree with Lloyd about Glock 22’s being great combat guns and it is neat you can get 9mm barrels for them. I wish I had bought two more when PD’s were converting to 9mm.

Awaiting with eager anticipation the defunding of police. Should be lots of lightly used 9mm’s to stock up on.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

It may not be a issue for you , it is for me , but I load 9mm and I load a lot , I have a square deal b just for it , son has one to so does son in law so I guess we shoot it a lot and we stash a lot , just when it comes down to ease of handling I find the 40 and 45 to be easier .

Have worked with my hands all my life , grew up on a farm , worked highlead , slackline logging and cut timber , work on boats with wires and ropes , still do carpentry on the side , hands have took a beating , worked in a aluminum smelter years ago for awhile also , can pick up hot items and not feel it , just those small cases do not feel right and love the 380 that is always mixed in .

You missed out on all the 9mm berettas when the police switched to glocks , bought my g 34 pistols when I saw them for so low on gunbroker I could not pass up , same with the g 41 pistols and the g35 , and the ruger 9e pistols , if you watch there comes a time when someone is selling cheaper then opening bids on others and if it is a good buy I get them .

Last year the S&W M&P 40 calibers were going from one place for $250 buy now or opening bid of 240 , funny watching 2 people bid it up to 270 when the place would post another for same bids , bought 5 did not want to be greedy , needed some gifts for Christmas .

The 40 may not be for everybody just as the 9mm and 45acp are not , but it is good to have options . And yes I am a hoarder , I hoard brass and magazines and parts and reloading stuff , I know people only bought a 9mm because the military and police use it and as a option should the time ever come when it is pick up whats left laying about .

Banned

I actually started out with a dislike and came to like it , but I load my own and I find the 40 and larger to be easier loading then 9mm , for years I did not load 223 either as I did not like handling the smaller bullets and brass .

I own quite a few 9mm pistols and only 1 carbine , I prefer the 40 and 45 carbines over the 9 , I carried a hi-power for awhile and then went back to the 1911 , It all boils down to preferences and dislikes , perceived recoil or something else , be a boring world with all 9mm pistols and no intermediate or larger .

I have seen 9mm pistols with cracks and showing the signs of pressure and abuse , hotrod anything and sooner or later it starts to come undone , maintenance and common sense keep a firearm shooting longer , but on the other hand every gun will sooner or later wear out from use or abuse .

Funny thing is when shooting pistols it was always the 40 that women did not like , well this thread has stirred up the 40 verse 9mm but seemed to be missing the 45acp is king .

Oh as to the diane f word person she was hated from the first time I saw her and heard her if it is a her , you have a good day bigslug
    you would probably love my 40 sw springfield emp. It unlike the 9mm version is all steel and has a bit of weight to it and is a puppy dog to shoot.

Banned

It may not be a issue for you , it is for me , but I load 9mm and I load a lot , I have a square deal b just for it , son has one to so does son in law so I guess we shoot it a lot and we stash a lot , just when it comes down to ease of handling I find the 40 and 45 to be easier .

Have worked with my hands all my life , grew up on a farm , worked highlead , slackline logging and cut timber , work on boats with wires and ropes , still do carpentry on the side , hands have took a beating , worked in a aluminum smelter years ago for awhile also , can pick up hot items and not feel it , just those small cases do not feel right and love the 380 that is always mixed in .

You missed out on all the 9mm berettas when the police switched to glocks , bought my g 34 pistols when I saw them for so low on gunbroker I could not pass up , same with the g 41 pistols and the g35 , and the ruger 9e pistols , if you watch there comes a time when someone is selling cheaper then opening bids on others and if it is a good buy I get them .

Last year the S&W M&P 40 calibers were going from one place for $250 buy now or opening bid of 240 , funny watching 2 people bid it up to 270 when the place would post another for same bids , bought 5 did not want to be greedy , needed some gifts for Christmas .

The 40 may not be for everybody just as the 9mm and 45acp are not , but it is good to have options . And yes I am a hoarder , I hoard brass and magazines and parts and reloading stuff , I know people only bought a 9mm because the military and police use it and as a option should the time ever come when it is pick up whats left laying about .

I stole one of my 22s like that. The local prison used glock 22s and switched to 19s a couple years ago. My son in law works there and they gave the guards first crack at buying them. He told me there was some left overs and he could get one for 250 bucks with one mag. I told him to go for it. I waited about 3 months and asked him when he was going to get it. He checked that night and called me and said they were all sold but had some new ones left with 3 mags in the box for 300. Talk about a no brainer!! I was one dumb sob though. I was a bit tight for money and didnt try to get more. but i guess 3 22s is enough and i would have just used it as trading material anyway.

I think people who seriously think the recoil of 40sw matters are 9mm man-boys. Nobody else does. I've got a lot rounds in all calibers and I don't see any advantage to the 9mm.

dia I will bet you a hundred dollars your double taps are faster with a 9MM over the 40 cal when both are shot with factory ammo and when accuracy is factored. That is when recoil matters. To say, as you have that a 40 year old with rhomatoid arthritus in his hands, shouler or elbow is a man boy because he prefers less recoil in his handgun is just stupid. If you didn't mean to say that then amend your post because you are not likely a stupid person.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by robertbank View Post
    dia I will bet you a hundred dollars your double taps are faster with a 9MM over the 40 cal when both are shot with factory ammo and when accuracy is factored.
    So?
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast