RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: 12 ga. slug in 20 ga.

Boolit Buddy

12 ga. slug in 20 ga.

1st, THANKS to everyone that responded to my question about recoil pads. I bought a Limbsaver slip-on pad and a PAST recoil pad. The Limbsaver reduces recoil so much that I rarely use the Past pad.

I cut the hull on a Brenneke KO 12 ga. slug round and removed the slug and wad. The wad petals are very thick. The slug only measured 0.612 in diameter and weights 433.2 grains.
    I'm thinking that I can use the slug as a full bore slug in my rifled barrel 20 ga. Mossberg. Using a 1 oz. powder charge a BPI gas seal and spacers to raise the slug to fold crimp height.
    Your thoughts please.
    Thank you
    JAMESGR

Boolit Grand Master

I mean, you could. Those aren't KO's, Those are the TKO, or whatever they are calling them these days. They are expensive as can be, I wouldn't cut them open to use the slugs. You can buy 20 gauge Brenneke ammo, and it's probably cheaper than what you are paying for those TKO's.

Boolit Grand Master

I've never heard of Clark Armory, so proceed with caution.

https://clarkarmory.com/products/bre...ug-5-round-box

Boolit Grand Master

Per what msm said... if it fits your groove diameter you could probably load them as full bore slugs.

One concern... slug material/hardness? Are they lead alloy? If so they should engrave okay.

At the cost of those you could buy a full bore mould from Accurate Molds and the savings wouldn't take long to pay for the mould... unless you only want to try a couple of the Brennekes.

Longbow

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the replies.
    These aren't TKO slugs. They are KO slugs. Written on the box "KO Sabot Slugs ".
    This is really just an experiment. I cut a Remington 20 ga Slugger Slug round and removed the slug. I was SURPRISED that the column is : slug; some washing powder looking stuff as a spacer; a paper spacer; and a small plastic gas seal. Never expected the powder stuff.
    I then dropped the slug down my Mossberg 20 ga modified choke barrel. The slug fell through with no resistance.
    Unless the washing powder stuff causes the slug to obturate it's just going to raddle down the barrel, is what I'm thinking.
    This is the reason that I opened the 12 ga. Brenneke slugs. Just to see what is inside. And when I measured the Brenneke slug at 0.612" that when I started to wondering if it would make a 20 ga. full bore slug in the rifled barrel.
    The slugs are dead soft and I can scratch the lead my thumb nail.
    Thanks
    JAMES
    JAMESGR

Boolit Master

I found something better than a limbsaver. Inertia recoil system. I took out some of my full power 00 loads last week. I had been shooting them in my Benelli m4, but this time I brought the 870. Holy crap! I kinked my back on the first shot. The recoil impulse was at least double in the 870. Almost knocked my little **** off the range chair.

Boolit Buddy
    Hanzy4200, Thanks for the reply
    I have a mercury tube in the magazine of the Rem 870. But the Limbsaver still made a big difference. I'm trying to keep most of my loads in the 1250 fps or less range. I though about a Danuser Recoil Reducing system, but that's a lot of money for someone that can't hunt anymore. I have a buddy that says when I get my slug loads developed he'll be GLAAAAAD to hunt with them.
    JAMES
    JAMESGR

Boolit Master
    myself, being a stickler for "book" loads something like that would be like playing with poison, im just not a ballistics engineer. and in my past if it can go wrong it will go wrong.