Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A good 1000 yard PP Bullet

Boolit Master
    38 points out of a possible 50.

KW

Quote Originally Posted by Abert Rim View Post
    Thanks Kurt. One issue that lies ahead is finding a chamber reamer with that 7-degree leade transition and that will accommodate the rim thickness of BACO reformed brass. I may have to have friend Dave Manson cut one for me. Then I can really start playing with bullet moulds based on the wisdom and experience shared here.

Abert,

Dave has made reamers for me and they all have been top rate.
    If you have an existing rifle and you want to change the transition of the chamber end, say from a .45º to a 7º you mentioned a throating reamer like the photo below will work just fine, but it also could make junk out of your chamber if you don't take the proper precautions making a straight uniform cut. You don't just want to push the reamer into the chamber and start the cut. Have a bushing that will hold the reamer shank centered supported in the rim recess when you don't have use of a lathe and do the job with a "T" handle.
    Also that throating reamer should be made for the existing chamber for best results.

If your existing rifle has the 45º transition now the DD PP will shoot just fine in it. You don't need a long funnel transition to make it shoot. But that 45 wall can cause problems.
    I call the long funnel transitions a lead or PP bullet throat. I have changed several 45º to the 5 and even 4º compound throats and all improved the performance. I even have chamber reamers made from original rifles used during the 1870's Creedmoor matches that had even longer tapered throats.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0563.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	291826

Boolit Master
    Kurt, I haven't bought the barrel yet, so the chamber will be brand-new. Haven't decided on my smith yet, either, but will ask very carefully about just which .44-77 reamer the smith plans to use. This may mean that I will need to order the reamer from Dave M., in which case I would specify the 7-degree leade so as to accommodate both PP and greasers.
    John Taylor has done very good work for me in the past.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12