MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Load DataRepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A good 1000 yard PP Bullet

Boolit Master

A good 1000 yard PP Bullet

A good 1000 yard bullet.

38/50, 5 consecutive bulls first 5 shots. Winner at 1000 yards tied 3 ways @800 with 44/50.

Bullet is a dual diameter Elliptical design based on help from Jim Kluskins and Arnie Seitz.

Cut by Jim Brannon at BACO. This great bullet netted me 2nd overall in the Creedmoor match and in the aggregate for the Wasserburger Mile match.

Kw
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails E79B02BD-2A7A-4680-8454-73751BF5912A.jpg   477E4046-7EBA-47BD-84BA-5B52C8770A3F.jpg   86DB8C56-CE81-4CE9-8003-1599E23DAABA.jpg  
    Last edited by Kenny Wasserburger; 09-16-2021 at 03:49 PM.

I am currious as to how your chamber is cut, freebore length if any, and how deep your are seating the bullet.

Thanks
    Dave
    "How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."
    --Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)

Kenny,

You mean Arnie Seitz don't you?

Boolit Master
    Yup you’re right Kurt.

KW

Boolit Master
    Standard Shiloh chamber with about .050 leade. Bullet seated against the lands, I use my 3 Wad stack to facilitate that, last wad being the Sagebrush felt wad.

KW

Boolit Grand Master

Is that boolit patched to groove on the larger diameter base and patched to bore for the nose?

Longbow

Boolit Master
    Exactly.
    KW

Boolit Buddy

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	46-365C-D.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	22.6 KB 
ID:	288823

Interestingly it is kind of similar to the 1866 Chassepot bullet (with the exception of the groove diameter belt at the base) which was paper patched to a linen and silk case.

This has been a work in progress for me and I have minimal experience in paper patching. On your paper patch template is it the standard trapezoid patch, or is it shaped differently?

Thanks

Tom

Boolit Mold
    Lubed felt wad... or dry?
    Very nice, btw

Boolit Master
    Dry wad. No lube.

And patch was altered to allow for the larger base diameter.

KW.

Boolit Master
    I forgot to mention this bullet is patched with Seth Cole 55W paper. And wet patched, the water has a bit of rubbing Alcohol to speed in drying, also a side benefit of removing some of the sizing of the paper. The patches dry and shrink tight to the bullet, confetti is the end result at the muzzle.

Boolit Mold
    With the step on the bullet, are you keeping the paper tight around the bullet with your fingers or just worrying about keeping it tight around the base and letting it "shrink" down toward the ogive?

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Impressive! That’s the shooting I dream about.

Boolit Master
    Rainmaker,

I wet patch and paper shrinks tight to the bullet.

KW

Boolit Master
    So Kenny, that same design but cut to .438 on the base band and .429 on the bore shank, and patched up .008, should approximately be the nuts in a Green Mountain .44-77 barrel (.437/.446) with 7 degree leade?

Boolit Master

1,000 yds with a 38 ? WOW Who would have guessed that? well done

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Abert Rim View Post
    So Kenny, that same design but cut to .438 on the base band and .429 on the bore shank, and patched up .008, should approximately be the nuts in a Green Mountain .44-77 barrel (.437/.446) with 7 degree leade?
    I would suggest the bore shank at .437 and the base of the nose at .432. Keep the length to 1.4, and wet patch it in Seth Cole 55 w.
    Lenth of the base section at 3/4 of the the diameter.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master
    Thanks, Don.

Quote Originally Posted by Abert Rim View Post
    Abert,

I have two .44-77's and several other .44's with the BN and straight case with 1/19, 1/17 and 1/16 twists with the funnel transitions from 7º to 4/1.5º compound funnel transitions and Don is right that the 1.400" long bullets shoot very well past 1000 yards with the proper ogive and ball nose. I don't favor the sharp pointed ellipticals of less than a .250" nose. I want the shank longer than the ogive.
    There is nothing wrong with a .429" shank when it's patched to a proper diameter.
    That bullet below is from a straight shank BA mould that was .429" shank 1.4" long that I used for many years at long range paper and gong shoots and it has performed very well.
    When Arnie started to work with DDPPE bullets I changed this mould using my Mill and I just had to try his lead with the DD projectiles but I wanted a little larger base for my early Wolfgang 1980's Shiloh that had a little more generous chamber so I made the base diameter .443" .250" long so it would fit all of my lead angles and set out of the case mouth enough that the bullet would not fall out handling it on line loading during the match. I don't like to pick up a bullet that fell on the ground when time gets short.
    I patch this bullet using 100% cotton cockle finish Southworth paper wrapped dry .0018" thick.
    What you see below is what it looks like fired with the hard alloy I use.
    That bullets shoots very good with the 1/16 to 1/19 twist .44's.

Kurt

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3739 2.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	291770
    Last edited by Lead pot; 11-16-2021 at 12:45 AM.

Boolit Master
    Thanks Kurt. One issue that lies ahead is finding a chamber reamer with that 7-degree leade transition and that will accommodate the rim thickness of BACO reformed brass. I may have to have friend Dave Manson cut one for me. Then I can really start playing with bullet moulds based on the wisdom and experience shared here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast