MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kimber Micro 9? Not so fine.

Boolit Grand Master
    Hope it works out. A gun for defense has to function flawlessly.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master
    Well, that's better.

I ran 6 magazines, 43 shots of FMJ without a flaw, today. I'll run some more down range next week, maybe including some Hollow-Point ammo, if the FMJ's still work well. I don't have that many factory 9mm HP's, so I didn't take any with me, but overall, I was favorably impressed. The accuracy was acceptable, though the trigger is pretty stout. What I thought was pretty neat was that the laser sight was very well regulated at 10 yards with the Iron sights. With the 6 shot mag, the gun carries pretty well in a pocket, but is harder to hang on to when fired. The 7 & 8 round mags are much more comfortable to shoot.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

+1 on DougGuy’s recommendation.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Glad they fixed it for you.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have to give Kimber's customer service an A. I sent it to them Monday a week ago and it was back, REPAIRED, in my hands Tuesday. I was able to run another three magazines through it last night, including Remington FMJ's and one of Federal HP's without fault. I will say that the recoil is a bit sharp and I would not care to shoot an extended training session with it, (old hands and wrists that don't handle recoil well) but for what it's designed for, it seems to be pretty decent. I have not handled the Sig Variant (938?) but it is a bit better feeling in my hand than the Bel Air which does not have the Crimson trace grips. They really help reduce the twisting in the hand of the gun as it recoils.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

I have had a few Kimbers, a couple went back and CS was top notch.

You go to the 238/938 section of Sig Talk and it’s thread after thread of complaints. Like it’s been said before, the 9mm is just too much for it IMHO. Too many problems in the design across three or four companies. I’m sticking to Ultra/Defender size for my 1911 9mm fix.

Lefty
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Grand Master
    With the Ultra or its Colt derivative, You're going a half pound heavier, nearly 3/4" longer and taller, and a 1/4" thicker. Basically going out of the 9mm pocket category, unless you have pretty big pockets.

My hope is that this gun will be reliable enough to replace my Colt Mustang Pocketlite 380, with a slightly larger but more powerful 9mm. We shall see. I plan on running another 70 rounds through it Wednesday, 48 rounds of 115 FMJ's and 21 rounds of JHP's. If all goes well, I'll start running some of my reloads through it, including some boolits.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    Kimber can't be any worse than Ruger, or for that matter S&W. Out of 8 Rugers I bought between 2010 and 2018, 3 went back to the factory, and a 4th should have. The last two new S&W's had serious defects and the poor customer service response has determined that those are going to be the LAST two S&W new revolvers I buy. It seems as though nobody makes a consistent effort at quality control these days.
    Buying a new revolver should not be a crap shoot. Our Lgs has not had a good selection of them for sometime. I took a chance and got my last two Smith's off GB. 686+ and a Model 60 pro series. No problems with either of them.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Master

Right, the 9mm needs a larger pistol. This micro “1911ish” pistol started off as a 380. Nothing good happens when you try to scale up a pistol not designed around those pressures.

But maybe yours will work where others have failed.
    Good luck,
    Lefty
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    There are so many micro pistols today designed from the ground up for this cartridge that I don't see any advantage to the Micro 9/938, unless you just really like the gun. A Glock 43, Sig 365, or Hellcat is about the same size and will do anything the former can do.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master
    Well the FMJ's went through the gun with zero problems, but I did get one FTF with a JHP reload that hung up on the feed ramp. I think that was due to the overall length being too long. It did run through 15 rounds of NOE 130 grain hollowpoints--all I had with me--without a stutter.

Boolit Grand Master
    Still not having much joy with HP Ammo. Frequently, the first round will jam on the feed ramp and FTF. With factory HP very hard to find and costly if one does, It is pretty dismal. I wish I could find some Hornady Critical Defense loads, or at least some of those bullets.

Critical defense does work great in mine. Finally found some at a gunshow and cost dearly.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have taken the advice given on another board and lightly polished the feed lips of all 7 of my magazines. We shall see if this corrects the problem. I have found that cartridges >1.06" work better, much better, than those 1,10" or longer.

One fellow suggested I give it a 500 round break in. With 9mm running 2-3x more than it did B.C. (Before Covid), that can get pretty costly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12