RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vintage scope for sporterized M1903 Springfield

Boolit Master
    I have a nice sporterized 03A3, when I got it was not set up for a scope but had a nice Lyman all steel aperture sight. It now wears a nice Weaver steel tube 3 X 9, just looks right. The peeps are still there and I use them occasionally.

I have probably a dozen old Weavers laying around, guess I like them but they have gotten pricey lately. Picked up a mint K4 a couple years ago, it doesn't have the centered cross hairs. I am not sure when that was changed.

Dave

Hello 4given,

Not a Springfield, but when I scoped my 1891 Mauser I purchased a Weaver V7 with fine cross hairs and a command post for it.
    Unfortunately the bolt wouldn't clear the scope so I ended up putting a Weaver K4 on it. Then installed the V7 on my fathers Remington 740.
    Those old classic Weavers make the rifles look great and fit the era perfect with good service also.

AntiqueSledMan.

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	99994289-9BAA-4067-96CA-D14053CC9414.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	288995. I was gifted my grandfather’s 03. I went vintage scope too. I think it’s a Lyman. Can’t remember, have to pull it out and check.

For you guys that have sporterized Springfields: One thing I notice with Dads rifle, there is no way to mount the scope far enough forward or backward there it does not interfear with the safety. any of you have the same problem? If so is there a way to deal with it?

I think I will start a different thread about this issue. Here are a couple of pictures:

Safety ON

Name:	IMG-0177.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	288999

Safety OFF

Name:	IMG-0176.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	288998

Name:	IMG-0175.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	289000
    Romans 10:9"...If you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Jesus from the dead, you shall be saved.."

My trading feedback thread: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t=#post3092680

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    For you guys that have sporterized Springfields: One thing I notice with Dads rifle, there is no way to mount the scope far enough forward or backward there it does not interfear with the safety. any of you have the same problem? If so is there a way to deal with it?

I think I will start a different thread about this issue. Here are a couple of pictures:

Safety ON

Name:	IMG-0177.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	288999

Safety OFF

Name:	IMG-0176.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	288998

Name:	IMG-0175.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	289000
    Most convert them to side swing safety's for scope use or use the Timney Trigger with the safety. https://timneytriggers.com/springfie...weight-deluxe/
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    I'm still using K4 and K6 steel-tube El Paso Weavers on a couple of rifles. I bought the K6 in the late 1960s and the K4 in the 1970s. Very good, accurate adjustments and clear optics on both. The K6 has been on the same .243 since I bought it; several hundred shots fired with no recoil battering. The K4 has been on the same .308 since bought with also several hundred full-power jacketed bullet shots fired; that rifle now a dedicated cast bullet rifle.

No fogging problems (in response to question below)
    Last edited by higgins; 10-06-2021 at 08:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by higgins View Post
    I'm still using K4 and K6 steel-tube El Paso Weavers on a couple of rifles. I bought the K6 in the late 1960s and the K4 in the 1970s. Very good, accurate adjustments and clear optics on both. The K6 has been on the same .243 since I bought it; several hundred shots fired with no recoil battering. The K4 has been on the same .308 since bought with also several hundred full-power jacketed bullet shots fired; that rifle now a dedicated cast bullet rifle.
    Nice! Any fogging issues?
    Romans 10:9"...If you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Jesus from the dead, you shall be saved.."

My trading feedback thread: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t=#post3092680

Boolit Bub
    The early sporterized 1903's by Griffin & Howe used the Griffin & Howe side mount... with a 7/8" tube scope. Often with a Zeiss or Hensolt & Wetzler scope mounted. There are some really nice custom rifles by famous gunsmiths of that era that utilize this mount. A couple G&H custom 1903's owned by actor Gary Cooper just sold at auction for $21,000 and $34,000.
    Here's a link: https://www.rockislandauction.com/de...tion-22-hornet
    The same mount was adapted to the WWII era Springfield Garand M1C sniper using the Lyman Alaskan scope. The earliest Lyman Alaskans used on the M1C snipers were actually commercial scopes and the later that were marked M82 were the government contract version. Wollensak also made the M82 scope under military contract. They were used in the Korean & Vietnam wars as well. The subject 1903 has the Echo mount from post WWII... the existing scope body does limit eye relief. You have some options to achieve the eye relief desired & not interfere with safety operation: 1) Change the upper portion of the Echo mount (they are often on ebay) to one that fits a 7/8" tube scope. 7/8" diameter scopes typically have a smaller diameter eye piece. 2) install the Wisner 2 position safety (I provided the link in your other thread). good luck.
    Last edited by BenTolson; 10-04-2021 at 11:07 AM.

Thanks for all the great input you guys! Rich/WIS sent me a Buehler Low Swing Safety so I am going to try that first. I'll let you all know how that works out.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't consider a Weaver K4 unusable ... I mounted one on my 1903-A3 Springfield sporter in 1967 and have taken many deer and hogs with it ...
    Gave great service from The Crazy Mountains in Montana to the Louisiana Atchafalaya Basin Swamps
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 10-11-2021 at 07:18 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    Montana Vintage Arms : Their Winchester "B" Scope.

While i don’t have an ‘03,my 1917 Eddystone built at Baldwin Locomotive’s Eddystone PA works has vintage Lyman Alaskan glass & mount.
    J.m Shrader

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12