RepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: Give Lead to Get Lead?

Boolit Master

Give Lead to Get Lead?

Besides casting boolits, I also cast fishing sinkers and jigheads. Since I get my lead for free, I give these away. One unintended consequence is that it I have probably received more lead due to these freebies than I have given away. Just last night, a friend who I gave maybe a pound of sinkers showed up with three ingots that probably weight five pounds apiece. I gave another guy a dozen insulator pins with the heads intact and he gave me a 20 pound ingot to make up for my "loss". Another fisherman gave me a cannonball trolling weight and the contact for more lead insulator pins that half filled a pickup truck.

Scripture says, "Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.”

Boolit Bub
    I have always found that when you give freely, you will rarely find yourself in need, and experience other's generosity quite often. You can't go wrong with scripture.

You know though, it is funny. When you come across certain folk, they find your generosity to be suspect. That goes with "you cant give what you don't have". They wouldn't and don't understand.
    How meaningful can you be, there is only so much to say before you are talking too much.

Boolit Grand Master

Theres nothing like the barter system when both parties are contentious. I gave the Lady that answers the phone and runs the office (the owners Wife) at the local tire shop a Lee ingot that she uses as a paper weight. I get a 2 gallon bucket of weights about once a month for free. Well, I do take them donuts occasionally.

They were asking me what I did with their weights and I showed them some 405 grain 45 caliber bullets and a few ingots.

Boolit Master
    I think that it gets one's name out as "the guy who looks for lead". Being able to give your fishing buddy some sinkers and saying, "That one guy who looks for lead gave them to me." can start people thinking about the pile of lead in grandpa's barn or a bucket of wheelweights somebody kept.

Boolit Master

I have put my name out there requesting lead to all of my friends and I'll go a year with nothing and then 3 or 4 friends will show up with 20 or 30 pounds each of scrap that they had been saving for me. That's always a good day.