Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad Data
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: the price of an axe

Boolit Master

the price of an axe

I was just gobsmacked with the current price of a top rated small axe some would call it a hatchet.
    I remember my first. it was a multi purpose hatchet with straight blade a nail puller and hammer head on the top of blade. it was sharp and effective and 50 years on and I still have it and use it I think it cost something like $4.99 back when I was a part time helper at the local hardware store/lumber yard

but this is like madness, $235
    https://www.amazon.com/Gransfors-Bru...language=en_US

Boolit Master
    Looks to me like it is just another ax that would sell anywhere else for $50 or less.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    USA made Snow & Kneeley is still best in its price range. More than common hardware store brand but much less than the much hyped Scandinavian imports.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Bub
    I really like Husqvarna axe for the money.

Boolit Buddy
    ue flea market, a

Unless you get lucky at the the flea market, a Snow & Neally will be about half the price of a Granfors Bruk. The internet is too educational sometimes.

I bought an 8$ hatchet from harbor freight that does a great job of splitting small sticks for my firepit.

They have bigger axes also.

Granted you may have to put a little work into it to get the sharpness and slicing ability you want.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Granfors is a great tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Boolit Grand Master

You can buy wine for $3 or $3,000, or anywhere in between. Some can appreciate and afford the nuances of the best. Others are poor and just want a buzz. Most are between the extremes.

So it is with axes.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Some people just seem enjoy paying too much for things. I think it might stroke their egos and makes them feel better about themselves..
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Thé inexpensive axes and hatchets can be a good deal, but you need to know how to read the grain in the wood handle to know how well it will hold up. It’s similar to way you hold a baseball bat.

It would be fifty dollar cool, if I was getting a gift for someone, and if I hadn't read the crappy reviews. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Buddy
    Council Tool is also worth a look. US made an usually what the Forest Service uses.

Have seen some good videos on the HF hatchets but I worry that the next batch may be different or junk.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    I was just gobsmacked with the current price of a top rated small axe some would call it a hatchet.
    I remember my first. it was a multi purpose hatchet with straight blade a nail puller and hammer head on the top of blade. it was sharp and effective and 50 years on and I still have it and use it I think it cost something like $4.99 back when I was a part time helper at the local hardware store/lumber yard

but this is like madness, $235
    https://www.amazon.com/Gransfors-Bru...language=en_US
    You're comparing an golden apple to a lingon berry. That axe is handmade. It's not machine made for sale to someone who needs a small axe now and then. It's for folks who live in the woods, and like traditional equipment.

THIS is closer to what you got all those years ago: https://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-X7-Ha.../dp/B0002YTO7E Not real close, mind you!

I might decide I want to make an axe like the first one, but I'm still using the one I bought for a dollar or so in Turkey when I was there in the mid-80's. Also hand forged and made by hand, but a working tool for a guy who just needs an axe once in a while, and would consider making $300 a year wealth. I also have a double-bitted axe that was my dads. I'll need to replace the handle. Bitt is still good. It was new in the 60's, IIRC, and was a relatively expensive axe then. And I've never actually used it. A new handle will probably cost more than the original axe, too. When I need to cut a tree, I use a chainsaw.

Bill
    Last edited by Scrounge; 09-16-2021 at 10:13 PM.

I actually have a 2.5 lb camping axe that had too short a handle on it.
    So after using it some I went to the local hardwood store and looked at axe handles.

I had to do some custom work on the handle, shortened it some 5 inches, reshaped the tool end to fit into the space. Drove it on and wedged it into place.
    Then proceeded to polish and thin down the working edge. Got it to where I could take a 2 to 2.5" branch and separate it from the trunk with one shot.

These were 2 year old dead trees snapped off 20+ feet in the air by a windstorm. I'd clean up everything I could clean up as I walked up the trunk. Then cut it loose so it would fall for easy cutting. Shin my way down the standing stub cleaning as I went. When my farmer friend JS got there with the chainsaw he had a clean safe working area. Saplings cut out, branches drug out of the way. He could concentrate on just cutting.
    We cut, split, hauled, stacked 60 cords of Oak, Ash, Elm that fall. Fueled 3 familys for the winter. My axe was my constant companion. You could just about shave with it. I still have it, its starting to show its age, but it still works.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!