MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boolit molds question

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Born American View Post
    I have purchased a .452 boolit mold, 252 gr. Next purchase is a sizer lubricator bushing to fit my Lyman 450 sizer/lubricator. (keep the laughter down on this question please, I'm new at this) Do I purchase the .452 bushing? I have read some info to get .001 to .002 inches larger, but if the mold is a true .452 that makes no sense. Just trying to do this right the first time without having to return stuff to the store. Same question but for a .457 340 gr Lee90373 mold.
    Everyone is giving you answers if you have a gun that's the exception to the rule.
    All Modern 45 caliber revolvers (45acp or 45colt), will have a .451 barrel and will want a .452 boolit. The mold you purchase will likely be very close to .452 But a boolit rarely drops from the mold perfectly uniform, that's why you want to size it...a Lyman sizer die that's .452 will do that.
    >>>The time to start measuring things, is when you have accuracy problems or Lead fouling problems...to see if your gun is the exception, rather than the rule.

Now for the 45-70. Marlin 45-70 gun's are notorious for being oversized, so a oversized mold is your best bet. If I where you, I'd look for a .460 mold. My Lee 457-340 mold, drops a bullet slightly smaller than .457
    ...Now a undersized bullet can work, but it needs to be cast with a fairly soft alloy and be pushed by a Load that will expand the boolit to fit the barrel.
    Good Luck
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Don't confuse him any more ... I'm sure he has no idea what a beagle has to do with casting boolits .
    See post #17 ... the only way to learn ... is to jump in the pool and start moving your arms and legs ... if you have problems , someone will throw you a rope .
    You can't anticipate the questions & answers in advance ... you will have to buy a few moulds and a couple different H&I sizing dies to get the best fit .
    And the sad part is different alloy's shrink or expand depending on content and the same mould will cast different diameters ... This boolit casting stuff is more black magic and voodoo than science ...
    But you have us ... we'll be here for you !
    And always state what gun you are loading for ... Make , Model , caliber , old or new - makes a big difference in advice given .
    Gary
    Got it! and THANK YOU

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12