Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataReloading Everything
WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee Precision

Thread: Just got a new to me, Marlin 39 Mountie.

Boolit Master

Just got a new to me, Marlin 39 Mountie.

I had been looking for a deal on one of these, and got one on auction, where most of the stuff was whizz bang tactical. The blue is perfect, except for one spot at the muzzle, small rub spot about 1/2 the size of a #2 pencil. The wood had a couple of impressions, but no real damage. This rifle had originally been made with the oil finished, I presume linseed, wood and it was dried out. The first 2 coats of tru oil I rubbed on just disappeared, the 3rd one looked just right. I have to check the #"s to see what year it was made, but I am thinking early 60's. Best of all, she works slick as snot, but very tight. I would bet it has had very few rounds thru it, because there is no blue wear, inside the receiver, where the bolt rubs back and forth. I loaded it up and she shot dead on at 50 yds, and made a little over 1.5" 5 shot group, using some Winchester super X, at the point of aim. I moved the rear sight elevator up a couple of notches and proceeded to hit my 6x6" clanger at 150 yds, 10 in a row, off hand. I am liking this one a lot. I can send pics to someone to post if you want to.

Boolit Master

I have a Marlin 39A that I bought in 1966. It is one rifle that will never leave me as long as I am alive. I would have liked to have bought a mountie to go with it but the only thing stopping me was having the money to buy one. I have had some accurate rifles in my time but no .22lr ever came close to matching it for accuracy (at least the ones I have owned). I expect you will enjoy that rifle and find it a "keeper". james

I dont believe it without pics, Mr. Koger send them and I'll post them! My 39 Mountie story is sad- I traded into one in good shape, loved it, cleaned a copious amount of grease from it and took it to Colorado to visit cowboy brother #1. You guessed it, I gave it to him to keep in the family, you know. A few days later he gave it to the ranch foreman!
    I dont give him guns any more....

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Great find. I've got one, don't shoot 22 much anymore. It is accurate as you say. And one fine piece of American craftsmanship. Enjoy!!

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    The 39 carbine is sweet, I hope Ruger decides to bring it back. I never cared much for the rifle version.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Deal? I've just plain been looking for one. They're pretty rare around here, seems everybody bought M-39A's, still a great rifle, a little more than I care to walk around with though.

Banned

I bought one in 1981 as a divorce gift to myself for $145.00………………….refinished the stock not long after. Traded it at a LGS about 5 years ago for $750.00 in trade! Never cared for the micro groove rifling.

The Mountie was made from 1953-57

The Golden Mountie from 1957-72
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by koger View Post
    I had been looking for a deal on one of these, and got one on auction, where most of the stuff was whizz bang tactical. The blue is perfect, except for one spot at the muzzle, small rub spot about 1/2 the size of a #2 pencil. The wood had a couple of impressions, but no real damage. This rifle had originally been made with the oil finished, I presume linseed, wood and it was dried out. The first 2 coats of tru oil I rubbed on just disappeared, the 3rd one looked just right. I have to check the #"s to see what year it was made, but I am thinking early 60's. Best of all, she works slick as snot, but very tight. I would bet it has had very few rounds thru it, because there is no blue wear, inside the receiver, where the bolt rubs back and forth. I loaded it up and she shot dead on at 50 yds, and made a little over 1.5" 5 shot group, using some Winchester super X, at the point of aim. I moved the rear sight elevator up a couple of notches and proceeded to hit my 6x6" clanger at 150 yds, 10 in a row, off hand. I am liking this one a lot. I can send pics to someone to post if you want to.
    Just over 1.5” group at 50 yards....not bad!

But that would be a 9”+ group at 150 yards...and you hit a 6x6 target offhand...ten out of ten...with iron sights.

The gun must be shooting less than 1” groups at 50 yards, and you are one heck of a shot.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I will get some picks to you TBG. Dverna to be fair, I shoot at this range, every day but Sunday, right by my shop, in my field. I have shot between 3000-5000 rounds a year, for the past 30 years, doing load development, shooting guns I have worked on, and shooting offhand ML competition on a local, state and National level. I am a firm believer that if you get good at traditional ML shooting offhand, when you pick up any other weapon, you will be surprised at how good you can shoot. I was sitting on a stool, but still offhand, cant stand and shoot on my own due to 3 strokes in one day, and associated issues. Most of what I shoot everyday, is either a .22 of some type, or a Rolling block or sharps of some sort.

That's a nice one, Sam. I like the 39 rifle and carbine, but the carbine is my favorite. It looks like it's keeping good company, too.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Thanks TBG for posting pics. Yep it is in good company, Model 38 Gustaf 6.5x55 ready to hunt as soon as it gets a scope on it.

Boolit Buddy
    I traded into a Golden 39A Mountie about 20 years ago. A plain Jane Ruger 10-22 and $100 bill and I had the gun I had searched a long time for.

I absolutely love shooting it in the back yard with CCI .22 short CB's. Very quiet, but very deadly combo for short range on critters that shouldn't be in the yard, garden, flower beds, etc. I put an old steel Sears / Weaver 3 x 20 power scope on it and it looks just right.

Enjoy your Mountie. In my experience they are great rifles.

Steve

Boolit Master

I have a 39D from 1971, 20" Carbine, pistol grip. Bought it right before I went into the Service. Left it with My Mom. My little brother got his hands on it, I think he used it to beat squirrels to death instead of shooting them.
    Still it shoots like a house afire.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Buddy
    Marlin 39 Mountie and Marlin 39 carbine are two different rifles...

Boolit Master
    My 39A Mountie is an M . Built in 1955
    Bought it in about 1960. $45
    Had a 2.5X "period correct" Steel USA Weaver on it for all these years.
    But, I had "stolen" it from the Mountie when I needed a scope for a Diana 75 air rifle.
    This thread is catching:
    Just mounted a Redfield Widefield 2 3/4X and sighted it in at 50 yds yesterday.
    beltfed/arnie