MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
Repackbox

Thread: A Question about NAZI Ammo

Boolit Buddy

A Question about NAZI Ammo

What is this cartridge?

Found a weird cartridge at the range today. I was picking up my spent shells and picked this up. It has a G.F.L. 9 Police on the head stamp. Truncated Jacketed bullet. G.F.L stands for Giulio Fiochii Lecco Italy.

The Dimensions are .353 Dia bullet (8.98 mm) Case length = .704 (17.98mm) Rim= .369( 9.39mm)Note this is a rebated rim! The Dia at the base at the groove is.784 (9.76mm) OAL is .9915(25.18) The closest cartridge I could find was the 9x18mm Ultra. But I am unsure that it has a rebated rim like this one. The 9x18 looks like it has a bigger cut and greater rebated angle than this one. Tough to tell without both in your hand.
    It is not a .380 ACP, or Makarov. The Mak is shorter & bigger in Dia.

Photo #1 is 9x18 Ultra
    Attachment 288718
    Photo #2 is Rebated Rim. See how the rim is smaller than the base?
    Attachment 288723
    Photo #3 is all three. Left to right. .380 ACP, This thing??? and a 9mm Luger for comparison
    Attachment 288722

Attachment 288724

This is a bit of a puzzler. What do you guys think?
    Anyway, it will go on my collection shelf, next to the .380 ACP and .32 ACP

More info on the 9x18 Ultra.
    https://military.wikia.org/wiki/9%C3%9718mm_Ultra

Description
    It was originally developed in the 1936 for use by the Luftwaffe, but was not adopted at that time.[1] In the 1972–1973 time frame, Walther introduced the Walther PP Super chambered in the cartridge for the West German Police.[1] The Walther PP Super was discontinued in 1979.[2] The cartridge was made available to the civilian market in 1975.[1]

In addition to the Walther PP Super, the SIG Sauer P230,[1] Mauser HSc-80,[3] and Benelli B76[1] were also produced in 9×18mm Ultra.

The 9×18mm Ultra (.355-inch caliber) is not interchangeable with the 9×18mm Makarov (.365-inch caliber), as the latter uses a larger diameter bullet.

It sounds very much like a 9mm Ultra. Were it me, I'd phone Fiocchi of America (417) 725-4118 and ask them what it is.

DG