Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pulling teeth...literally

Boolit Buddy

Pulling teeth...literally

Well my oldest girl has her first baby teeth ready to come out. How do reasonable modern parents pull loose teeth? My dad used needle nose pliers, I am told that is no longer the right way to do things.
    Last edited by .455 Webley; 09-14-2021 at 08:56 PM.

Boolit Master
    We left them until they were really hanging by a thread, most just dropped out on their own, pulled one or two by just grabbing it with a tissue.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    We left them until they were really hanging by a thread, most just dropped out on their own, pulled one or two by just grabbing it with a tissue.
    We did the same. Don't forget the bucks under the pillow. Quarters don't cut it anymore

Boolit Master
    I like to change it up a bit! Sometimes floss tied to an arrow, radio control car....etc.
    But the best was my youngest pulled his own with his fingers!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

We did the same and when they were ready there was almost no blood or pain. A lot of times kids cant leave them be always wiggling them and they drop out.

Back in my day the tooth fairy left a quarter for a tooth, wonder what the going rate is today?

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I grew up with tie a string to the tooth and the other end to a door knob and slam the door shut!

Boolit Master

Mine had one that just dangled, but she would not finish it off. Fed up with the thing I had her point to it with her finger, that is when a quick tap on her had knocked it out. Most just dropped off at random.

We taught ours to pull their own....basically making a game/challenge of it. We never explicitly said the TF wouldn't come otherwise, but we never really presented other alternatives either. That transaction was pretty much between them and the TF.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    We did the same and when they were ready there was almost no blood or pain. A lot of times kids cant leave them be always wiggling them and they drop out.

Back in my day the tooth fairy left a quarter for a tooth, wonder what the going rate is today?
    My kids were getting a buck 20 plus years ago. I think now it would have to be a fiver. Inflation, you know?

Boolit Grand Master

You don't have to do anything. If you can't pull it out with your fingers, it's not ready to come out.

Boolit Master
    Once they find out its painless, they aren't scared anymore. Making a game out of it, to me, is the way to go. I like the idea of using an R/C car, boat, plane, drone, etc. Sounds like fun to me and if I think its fun, they will see that I'm not scared. Tie it to a baseball and let them hit the baseball, tie it to a water ballon launcher, theres so many different fun ideas!

Boolit Buddy
    For the ones hanging by a thread, using a tissue to grab them does work well. I wouldn't go with pliers--seems a little excessive.

Our tooth fairy left a Susan B. Anthony dollar under the pillow--I believe she ran them in the brass tumbler to make them shiny beforehand.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    You don't have to do anything. If you can't pull it out with your fingers, it's not ready to come out.
    That's how I handled it. Me and all four of my brothers, my three daughters. If there's no pain or complications, just wait for it to fall out.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

One of mine came out when I took a bite of a caramel apple. Took a bite and tooth stayed in the apple. My dad pulled one of mine with needle nose pliers that he first dipped in Canadian Club bourbon. Ahh growing up in the 60's.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master

I lost my last baby tooth at 55 years old. I mailed it to my Mom and she mailed back a dime with 50 years interest at 5 percent.

Boolit Buddy
    I grew up with tie a string to the tooth and the other end to a door knob and slam the door shut!
    My Dad did this to me, probably thought it was funny at the time. Years later following some prostate surgery he needed to remove a urinary catheter but it was stuck.

You can guess what I suggested.....
    Last edited by lavenatti; 09-15-2021 at 12:04 PM.

Boolit Master
    My grandmother would have us gargle with whiskey before she pulled ours!! I didn't think it too strange, but I would bet she would be strung up today!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    We were a "string on a doorknob" family. More for the drama than need, I think.
    I had a wisdom tooth pulled a couple weeks ago. Things sure have changed over the years. Totally painless.
    When I was a kid, having a cavity drilled was pure torture, and I hate teeth cleanings. More lingering pain than having a tooth pulled.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

Let the child and their tooth alone ... eating an apple sometimes gets them free .
    Whatever you do ... Don't come after the child with a pair of Vice Grips telling him it's for his own good ... the child will be traumatized for the rest of his/her life .
    Stay out of it and let child , tooth and mother nature take care of itself ...
    Kids have lost teeth for ages and don't need any help from adults .
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 09-15-2021 at 02:38 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by lavenatti View Post
    My Dad did this to me, probably thought it was funny at the time. Years later following some prostate surgery he needed to remove a urinary catheter but it was stuck.

You can guess what I suggested.....
    ATTABOY ....

Paybacks can be Hell !!!

The mental picture I have of You with that doorknob , tied string , catheter, look on your old mans face and you getting ready to slam the door shut ... Is Priceless Funny !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast