RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pulling teeth...literally

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    I grew up with tie a string to the tooth and the other end to a door knob and slam the door shut!
    Exactly how we did it!

DG

Best thing to do is just let it fall out. I think that's what I did when I lost my baby teeth, but it's hard to remember that far back. It was so long ago that the tooth fairy only left me a dime.

Boolit Buddy
    I knocked my sister’s loose tooth the rest of the way out during a pillow fight… I felt terrible about it.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    That's how I handled it. Me and all four of my brothers, my three daughters. If there's no pain or complications, just wait for it to fall out.
    +1

They don't need to be pulled out. They fall out.

Terrorizing kids with the whole "let's rip out that baby tooth" Channellocks routine seems like an unnecessary cruelty to me, kind of like telling a 3-year-old, "Yeah, you're gonna die just like Barky did when he got hit by that car." Learning about mortality, like learning about baby teeth, seems to work fine all by itself without our help.

Remember, your kids are the ones who will choose your nursing home.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Buck Shot View Post
    +1

They don't need to be pulled out. They fall out.

Terrorizing kids with the whole "let's rip out that baby tooth" Channellocks routine seems like an unnecessary cruelty to me, kind of like telling a 3-year-old, "Yeah, you're gonna die just like Barky did when he got hit by that car." Learning about mortality, like learning about baby teeth, seems to work fine all by itself without our help.

Remember, your kids are the ones who will choose your nursing home.
    ATTABOY Buck Shot !
    Well said ... Remember , when they putting you away ... them Channel Locks and Vice Grips and Strings on Door Knob Paybacks can be Hell !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Back in my day the tooth fairy left a quarter for a tooth, wonder what the going rate is today?
    We got a nickel. Two of my older brothers knocked my still sound buck teeth out in a jousting match when I was seven. They got a beating.

Boolit Master
    Here is how one kid pulls his tooth with a bow and arrow.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTXrK6MtE5M

Boolit Master
    Holy cow y'all are a bunch of fun haters!!
    No, they don't necessarily need to be pulled - but it does lead to a number of incredible memories!! I asked my 19 year old daughter about this subject last night on the phone. We laughed until I had tears thinking back about using a bow, rc car, ski boat, etc to extract the teeth. She said that she remembers being scared, but they are all happy memories (as are mine from childhood).

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Awhile back - about 1917 - but my dad said his grandfather tied a string around the tooth, and tied the other end around the cocked hammer of his old muzzle loading double barrel shotgun. Pulled it taut and then pulled the trigger.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Boy . . . it's been well past a half a century and a few more years that would require both hands and taking my shoes off . . . but my folks just let then do their own thing - I remember them getting loose - and of course, I then had to keep wiggling then with y fingers - my Dad may have taken one or two out by his thumb and index finger. I don't remember it being unpleasant - sort of a "right of passage" actually. I'm guessing things have changed though - in those days, the tooth fairy left a nickel under the pillow.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    I'm guessing things have changed though - in those days, the tooth fairy left a nickel under the pillow.
    A nickel back then instantly put you in the big league. I’d have gladly traded the Oranges, apples, walnuts or occasional lump of coal in my Christmas stocking for a nickel.

There is a YouTube video with the brother sitting on the carpet complaining and wiggling his tooth. All of a sudden his little sister jumps on him, reaches in and pulls it out. Then, sits up and throws the tooth at him and tells him to shut up. He's sitting there poking in his mouth with his fingertip. By far the coolest, funniest video I've ever seen on youtube. Ive lost track of it which makes me sad.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Bmi48219 - LOL . . . . right you are about the nickel . . . only problem was that there was no place for a kid to spend it on the farm. It went into a bank on the dresser. I don't remember how old I was when my mother took the bank and me into town to the local bank to set up a savings account to teach us the importance of "saving money for a rainy day". An account was opened and a passbook was made up for the account - I do remember that the amount that was in the bank on my dresser that was deposited was between $2 and $3. Those were the days when the local banks encouraged parents to do such things. I had that account for all the time I was growing up - I mowed lawns for some of the neighbors and friends - IIRC I git 50 to 75 cents a lawn - all with a push mower and I paid for the gas. A lot of folks don't do that with their kids anymore, but it gave me a sense of pride every time I would go in and deposit my hard earned money, even though the deposits were not large, it was satisfying to see the balance grow, even if slowly. By the time I graduated from high school and went off to college, I had saved enough to pay for my books for the fist two years - which even in those days were not cheap.

Funny how life cycles around and now that I'm on the opposite end of the life cycle, I have lost a few teeth but each time I have, I never find anything under the pillow! Must be that the tooth fairy got old too and died? LOL

Boolit Master
    its just about apple season now, they work pretty darn good

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by lavenatti View Post
    My Dad did this to me, probably thought it was funny at the time. Years later following some prostate surgery he needed to remove a urinary catheter but it was stuck.

You can guess what I suggested.....
    Attachment 288844
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    Bmi48219 - LOL . . . . right you are about the nickel . . . only problem was that there was no place for a kid to spend it on the farm. It went into a bank on the dresser. I don't remember how old I was when my mother took the bank and me into town to the local bank to set up a savings account to teach us the importance of "saving money for a rainy day". An account was opened and a passbook was made up for the account - I do remember that the amount that was in the bank on my dresser that was deposited was between $2 and $3.LOL
    That’s funny. My bank was a replica red plastic fireplug. Tooth fair ‘buy back’ funds were my sole deposits until my First Communion. I think I netted another $7 or $8 then. Same trip with mom to the neighborhood bank. Shoveling snow and mowing neighborhood lawns augmented my rainy day fund.
    At 9 yrs old my need of transportation nearly bankrupted me. As he had for my older brothers Dad withdrew 90% of my net worth to buy me a bicycle. My dreams of a sporty English Racer evaporated as he unloaded a red Evans Heavy Duty paper boy special from his pickup. It did have a spring loaded front paper carrier with a durable chrome finish. Sadly the chrome on the wheel rims wasn’t of the same quality and exuded rust almost daily. I’ve never been easily embarrassed but despite weekly cleaning and polishing my bike soon was nicknamed Vic’s Red Rims by friend and foe alike. Old Red was capable of blinding speed when you stood up and pedaled. Not so much while seated because the (white ��) seat height adjustment topped out about 24 inches above the ground. Ole Red quickly set me apart from the Macho black Schwinn Wasps of my fellow Night Free Press paperboys as we waited at the paper drop for delivery of our quota of supplies. Between earnings from snow, lawn work, paper route and 3% compound interest my savings account grew to the point I was able to supplement my wardrobe with Levi jeans ($3 / pair), Arrow shirts ($3 each) and ties for school. Cars and tuition came later.
    It all started with those nickels from the tooth fairy, and my parent’s’ commitment to see their kids become self-reliant, and I appreciate both to this day.

Boolit Master
    BMI48219, it’s pouring rain outside and after reading your post I got to thinking how much I hated delivering papers in the pouring rain especially on days I had to collect money for the weeks delivery. I’d rather it be snowing out.
    Boy how bad memories stick.

Back on topic, I think most of my baby teeth were swallowed with food cause they fell out on their own mostly. My dad helped loosen some of them but if they weren’t ready yet he left them alone.

Oh no, another bad memory, his fingers were always full of nicotine ( Kent cigarettes )and stunk so bad that I never gave him much of a chance to pull any !!

Mike

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12