RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: Hodgdon Clays in .45 Colt?

Hodgdon Clays in .45 Colt?

I need to load some plinking loads for a friend's Colt replica. I have both 200 and 250 grain lead bullets. Is Clays position sensitive? Too much left over space in .45 Colt? What are your thoughts/experiences? Thanks, hc18flyer

Boolit Master

Hodgdon publishes data for Clays with those bullets. I doubt they would do so if there was a problem.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master

From the Hodgdon Cowboy Data Handbook,dated 1/03;
    .45Colt
    200gr bullet; 4.6grs - 5.9grs
    250gr bullet; 4.2grs - 5.1grs

I've been shooting the Lee # 45-230-TC over a Clay's load of 5.0grs since Clay's came out, rifle & revolver.
    Excellent accuracy. If there was a position sensitivity problem ? That load would not be accurate.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I used Clay's all the time in 38's and 45LC's when my LGS had 20+ pounds of the stuff at a really nice price.

Published data IS out there. The internet search engines are YOUR friends! Just look.

banger

Boolit Grand Master

I've shot a LOT of Clays in 38's and 45 ACP's, I've loaded the 45 down to 3.4 grs with a 185 gr. bullet for plinking loads and have had good accuracy.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by hc18flyer View Post
    I need to load some plinking loads for a friend's Colt replica. I have both 200 and 250 grain lead bullets. Is Clays position sensitive? Too much left over space in .45 Colt? What are your thoughts/experiences? Thanks, hc18flyer
    I've never used Clays, but based on my experience with Universal, I'd go for it.

Thanks Guys! I have load data from the Hodgdon website, just questioned how well it works with all that empty space in a .45 Colt case. Tom

Boolit Blub Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang's Avatar
    Clays is great for 45 Colt, shot 50 rds at the range yesterday. Lee 452255 WW, 4.5 grains Clays

Boolit Blub Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang's Avatar
    Also, get your load data right from the horses mouth if you’d like: https://hodgdon.com/clays/

I use clays for 45colt - 45acp - 455 webley, good powder. Also like red dot and clay dot.

Boolit Buddy
    I have found an interesting anomaly with these bulky fast pistol powders (I've tried 700X and e3), which normally you use standard primers for increased consistency and accuracy. During the primer shortage, I had a lot of large rifle primers that I was no longer using, so . . . I bought a LRP pocket reamer (normally used to equalize pocket depth to accurize rifle cartridges) and reamed some pistol brass to .130 depth so I could use the LRPs. These should be much hotter than standard pistol primers, yet they give terrific accuracy with mild charges of these fast pistol powders in my 44 magnums and 45 Colts.

Any thoughts on why???

Boolit Buddy
    Clays is probably in the top 5 powders for Cowboy Action and it is what I use (although I shoot 38s).

Boolit Mold
    Was beginning to get a bit low on HP-38 a few months ago (have since found more), so tried some Clays I had for shotgun shells in my 45 Colt. Works just fine. No more positionally sensitive than HP-38 was. Neither one comes close to filling the case. Cheers!

Don't reload the 45lc but clays is my go-to powder in the 44spl/44mag/45acp's.

Anything that begins with a 4 uses clays, anything that begins with a 3 (38spl/357/9mm) uses bullseye

Loaded .45 Colt with Clays just fine. Large airspace is not a problem. Clays will be a little weak in cold weather - freezing or cooler. Clay Dot substitutes real well at just about the same powder weight, or 5% more, to make same velocities, and it's not cold-weak. Very accurate powder in revolvers.

good luck, garrisonjoe

Boolit Buddy
    I use it in in 45 Colt, 45 acp, and 12 gauge. I really like this powder.
    TF