Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RotoMetals2

Thread: 348 Winchester jacketed load suggestions....

348 Winchester jacketed load suggestions....

Well...I'll just have to beg forgiveness for posting this here, but I'm not set up yet to cast for my newly acquired Model 71, but I do have jacketed bullets on hand.... I have the 200gn Hornady FPs and the old Barnes 250gn. I've found some data I think I can work with given the powder I have on hand, but.....just wanted to throw this out there amongst this crowd for input. FWIW... I have RL19 and IMR4350 on hand in enough quantity to work with....also some SW powders (4350 and maybe Precision Rifle?) but I'm hesitant to go down that road as I'm getting mixed reports on its speed and not much data to work with.

Anyone got a favorite load for the 200gn Hdy or the 250gn Barnes?
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master
    Here is a good place to start!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    My 71 likes 59 grains of old surplus H 4831 or 57 grains of IMR 4350 with the Hornady 200 grain flat point. It shoots as good as I can hold and see. Both of which are getting more difficult.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

250 gr is the original bullet weight.

Boolit Grand Master
    Although I had my best results with WW-760, 57.0 grains of IMR 4350 was very accurate with Hornady 200 grain FP boolits. I have also used 4064, but if you want the most power you can safely wring out of the old girls skirts, IMR 4895 gives the highest top end, at least according to Lyman.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by freakonaleash View Post
    250 gr is the original bullet weight.
    I think Barnes still makes a 250 but I've not ever tried any bullets of that weight. At first the 348 was available in other weights than just the 200 grain. I do have an old box of (if IIRC Remington) factory 348 that is loaded with 180 grain bullets. I think I'll put the 180's in Wards Auction one of these days and use the money to buy some Barnes bullets just to try them.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

I'm staring with 63.5gn of RL19 and the 200gn bullet at 2.810. According to QL should give around 2,450(IIRC) which should be a gracious plenty for my needs without really pushing pressure at all. I don't need to hot-rod it....any deer I shoot at will likely be within 100yds. I'll try to shoot over a chrony sometime in the near future and report back.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master
    I've used 65 gr H414, CCI 250, Winchester with the Hornady Flat nose for 2475 fps in an early long tang Winchester 71 beater, good accuracy though,about 2" at 100 yards.