Titan ReloadingLoad DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using Magnum Primers

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska

Using Magnum Primers

In which cases do people use magnum primers when a normal one is called for? I first tried using them in a 45/70 round that wasn’t getting complete powder burn. Didn’t help much. I finally went to a faster powder. I bought a box of 1000, so have plenty left to use on something. Do you think they have any advantages with BP? Any other situations to use them in?

Boolit Master

I use them and sometimes have to back off powder charge 0.5 grains loading hot loads, which I don't do much anymore. Like you I don't see much difference using them.

Boolit Master
    Using HS6 you see the difference.

Boolit Master
    I use magnum primers simply because you can use magnum with all powders but cannot use regular where magnums are called for. The caveat is that you should back off a bit when substituting magnum for regular while watching for pressure signs.

Moderator Emeritus

I use them (Mag primers) when the reloading manual specifies it.

As to going "off book":
    I've read on the interwebs that Mag primers are good to use,
    1. For loads of slow burning and/or hard to ignite powders (typically used in Large Magnum Rifle cartridges).
    2. For loads that will be shot in extreme cold temps.
    3. For Loads where the powder charge takes up very little of the case capacity (ie 38 spl and 45 colt).
    *Now there is much controversy over the third suggestion.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Use them with BLC2 and Win 748 for more reliable ignition. Tried them with WW 473 in 45 ACP when the regular primers were leaving a bit of unburned powder, didn't seem to make any difference.

Boolit Grand Master

I have used Magnum Pistol Primers in lieu of Standard, but as with any change in components, did another load workup. Of course when using slower powders I normally started with Magnum primers and as experiments tried Standard. Yes, not really a straight across comparison because of doing another load workup, but that's my SOP. IIRC; some loads (powder/bullet combos) were better with Magnum, more consistent, more accurate, but overall not a lot of difference...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master

Seems like the main use ... lately ... is when that's all you have and / or all you can get .

I was reading a magazine article about using small rifle primers in place of small pistol primers for the same lack of availability problems .

Necessity makes you do strange things sometimes ... just be careful !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I have never used small rifle magnum, small pistol magnum, or large pistol magnum primers and I've been loading since 1972. I've used a lot of large rifle magnum primers for ball powder and general use because I was given near 6000 of them way back when. I have saved them for primer shortages- and those come around as most of you know.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Banner Sponsor

I use Fed215s in the 470NE, 375 Ruger and 300 Win mag where called for.
    For handguns, I use mag primers with 296.
    John Linebaugh cautioned me against using mag primers in the 500 Linebaugh, he said that it would jump the pressure around 10kpsi.

I use Magnum primers in Magnum rifles but its good to know that I can use them in standard as well.

Boolit Master

If I'm shooting in cold weather I'll use a mag primer.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by 243winxb View Post
    Very interesting link. Thanks

Boolit Buddy
    I use Russian (Wolf? Tula? I forget) SRMs for all match 223 loads (regardless of powder) in my SR simply because they're so consistent.
    From what I've heard and seen, no American primer can hold a candle to them...and they are (were) cheap!

Boolit Buddy
    WLP for mag or regular. No difference.

Boolit Buddy
    LPM in 480 Ruger and SPM in 357 mag with W296. LRM in .375H&H (with RL15).

FWIW I did an experiment in .450 Marlin with CCI, Federal, Winchester and S&B LR and CCI 250s (LRM). Load was significant (50gr H322 400gr FNGC) but not near max. Zero was the same and groups were all acceptable for 150yd hunting.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I've used magnum small pistol primers in some cast bullet loads for the .223 Remington .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Handguns: I don't use magnum primers. I only use Bullseye, Unique and 2400 powders.

Small Rifles: I don't load anything that needs a SRP

Large Rifles: I have a large supply of older Remington 9.5M primers so I used them with cast bullet. I notice very little if any difference with them.

Caveat: Winchester Large Rifle Primers may be problematic in cast bullet loads. The primer itself can, with some loads, start the bullet down the barrel by itself and the the powder change ignites and treats the started bullet like a barrel obstruction. This is based on 20 year old information and Winchester may have changed the primer formula, but I avoid Win. LRM primers...period.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    the decision to use magnum primers or not has lots of conflicting sources of information involved. the first reloading book I ever bought for myself was Speer no 11, prior to that I relied on hand me down Lyman manual from my dad and the free little pamphlets from winchester and Hercules that they gave out at the gun shop. I thought the Speer book was the absolute guide to follow. and it called for magnum primers for basically all ball powders and then some other loads too.
    and as a matter of habit that is what I still do today

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast