MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
WidenersReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: 30-06 and the Lee 312-155 2R

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico

30-06 and the Lee 312-155 2R

Ok, i finally got to shoot some of my loads for accuracy today.
    65 yards, not measured, just long steps, 30-06 Hornady brass, CCI 200 primer, 57 grains of Scot Brigadier 4831,seated to the crimp groove on the boolit. Cast of 50/50 ww/ pure with 2% SN added, air cooled cast, gas checked before powder coated, PC, baked at 420*F for 1 hour, then splashed in ice water to cool, and sized to .310". Boolits came out weighing 163 grains fully dressed. IF this computer will let me load a picture, ill post the target.

WELL< AS USUAL, this site wont load my pictures. ( i cant figure out why it wont load pictures, aggravates the living fire out of me)OH well, it was a good target anyway!!!!!!!!!!!! 3 into a 1/2", one 1/4" away, and of course the first one was a flyer about 1" away!

good shooting to all.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Master
    Congrats. How fast are those going? 57gn sounds like a lot of powder.

Boolit Master

charlie b, I didn’t chronograph them, it was sprinkling rain, just a quick set up and five shots to check for group! ( of course it was raining, where else but Louisiana?? ) I’ve loaded that 4831 in ‘06 for several years now, just works for me. ( I got it CHEAP) so I went with the 165 grain jacketed data, works wonderfully!

SCOT Powder supplied Hodgdon with 4831 until 1994? Then , from what I can learn, Hodgdon had someone else make it for them. It was stored correctly, and is good stuff for my uses.

Rifle was a stock Remington 700, 24” barrel, I set the trigger pull,( it was horrible from the factory), free floated the barrel, new 6-24 x50 scope on new mounts, put it back together, it shoots wonderful! That same 57 grain powder load runs a Lee 200 grain RNFP cast boolit to 2499 fps! That’ll get your attention as this rifle is in a synthetic stock!

Barrel deposits? NONE! Slick, and clean. Love it.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Master
    Thanks.

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E0BD2E7C-2FCA-4316-82C7-B0AB080AF696.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	288978 hopefully this will load the picture of the group

Well, hallelujah, it loaded the photo.

My 30.06 with 210gn Lyman (#311284) groups well with 31.5gn of 3031! I have found over many years that a 'swat' with a medium burning powder is best. BTW mine chronograph at 1,740fps.

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Banned

Wallace, I like the 311284 a lot in the '06 too. Never would have thought of a charge of 3031 like that. Do you use any dacron or other filler?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Ass Wallace View Post
    My 30.06 with 210gn Lyman (#311284) groups well with 31.5gn of 3031! I have found over many years that a 'swat' with a medium burning powder is best. BTW mine chronograph at 1,740fps.
    Interesting. I use 28gn of 3031 in my .308 with a 210gn cast bullet. 1950fps.

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Do you use any dacron or other filler?
    No filler in any cast loads unless the powder capacity s less than 50%

(NB) the powder that I use is locally made ADI 2206 which is supposed to duplicate IMR3031, thus the variances in velocity)
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!