Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackbox
Wideners

Thread: A new 3DP skill for Me....3 hinging parts-one print-zero hardware

A new 3DP skill for Me....3 hinging parts-one print-zero hardware

It started with the wife asking me if I could print a cell phone stand that is easily carried and adjustable in angle. Sometimes she has meetings (women's group) when we have to be out of town, but she's so "irreplaceable" that they want to face book her in our motel at night .....and she's tired of having to hold her phone where they can see her lips move (I know) for a solid hour or more.

So I said, first lets see what we can find in Thingiverse, that might save me a lot of time......

Bingo!..... https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4924660

It has two pivots and I'm thinking I have a drill and some tiny screws....no problem.

So I look at the download (picture below) and its only one part......huh? Well, I guess I'll print it and see......

So I did and guess what, it works!.....no screws.....printed at 25% infill in 3hrs 20 min. I had to take a closer look on how he did that......

I put the .STL file back into the slicer, sliced it again, and looked at the results magnified half way down the slice. See below:

The brown color denotes the outside edges. You will see that the three parts are really separate and the "hinge" is the cone shapes you see that are printed in recesses. It works perfect.....happy wife....happy me....because I learned a trick that I'm sure I can use in a future print in the reloading hobby. Slick stuff.....am I the only one who would never have thought of this? BTW he also designed stops to it can be carried flat without falling open....neat. Kudos to Joew1120!

Last edited by GWS; 09-13-2021 at 08:31 PM.

Yep, there are a lot of different designs with gaps making hinges or at least movable parts. Wouldn't trust for hard use, but for things like you show they work great

Moderator Emeritus

We have a few folk here who can design and such for the 3d printers. I am not one of them yet (someday), but do have the printer and have grabbed a lot off thingverse and other sites. Had to put the printer away for a bit as gf is working from home on desk I was using. Some of the ideas out there are unbelievable. Good luck.