MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Got a Drill Press, Where to Get Clamps?

Boolit Grand Master

Ive got a little 4 ounce ball peen I use for lay out work makes a nice light prick punch mark. But it still hurts when you get a finger. Very few know how to use a height gage, dividers or trammels any more

Learning from a couple old tradesman. They would do a bolt hole circle with dividers and a scale and drill press. punch center lay out circle and a starting spot then set dividers to evenly space the number of holes.

I have several auto center punches and a set of transfer punches made up for the one starrett. those see a lot of use.

Boolit Master
    Good links Jim, I will have to build one this winter, once we are into January and things slow down.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Ive got a little 4 ounce ball peen I use for lay out work makes a nice light prick punch mark. But it still hurts when you get a finger. Very few know how to use a height gage, dividers or trammels any more

Learning from a couple old tradesman. They would do a bolt hole circle with dividers and a scale and drill press. punch center lay out circle and a starting spot then set dividers to evenly space the number of holes.

I have several auto center punches and a set of transfer punches made up for the one starrett. those see a lot of use.
    There are a series of books, the Workshop Practice series, from the UK, with several books on layout, marking metals, and benchwork, and operating various machine tools, plus making your own tooling that are very worth having.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Workshop+...f=nb_sb_noss_2 will help you find them on Amazon, but you can order them from a couple of publishers in the UK for cheaper than Amazon sometimes.

In Nevil Shute's book, Trustee from the Toolroom, the protagonist is based loosely on a model engineer who used Tubal Cain as a pen name writing in the Model Engineer, a UK magazine for model railroad enthusiast and machinists. He's also the author of several of the books in the Workshop Practice series. Written The Queens English, the idiom is a bit different. They call set screws "grub screws" for example. But you can usually figure things out.

YouTube;

Don Bailey,owner of Suburban machine has a series that I've been enjoying. More towards higher end grinding and metrology but it will answer questions about uber precision to any level. Just a nice gentleman sharing a lifelong passion. He grew up in a grinding shop.

Boolit Grand Master

There is also a tubalcain ( Mrpete222) on you tube that does videos on home machining and techniques. an old shop teacher.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    Yes those appear to be of the similar quality of the ones I have been using for over 20 years (no resharpening needed yet!). You can almost cut yourself on the ground flutes! Avoid the TiN plated ones (HF and others). That gold -colored plating is molecules thick and the 1st catch, scratch or resharpening, all the (so-called) protection is gone. Just an advertising gimmick.

I used to live in Farmington, MI and I think I have been to their place to buy tooling. Lots of tool mongers in and around Motown!

Always make sure your chuck is tightened down TIGHT on the drill shank. I have never had a drill slip and create gouge marks and wipe out the ID info on the shank. Pretty much junk pile fodder after that..............to me. Hand power drills are notorious at that.
    Wow. I received the bits. It’s like I’ve never seen a real drill bit before. What a difference. Thanks!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    There is also a tubalcain ( Mrpete222) on you tube that does videos on home machining and techniques. an old shop teacher.
    Yep. He's a bit young to be the Tubal Cain I was talking about, but he is a fine shop teacher, and does some really interesting and useful videos. The name is biblical, so it's not surprising that some folks borrow it now and then.

apropos the subject of this thread: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...22+drill+press

Enjoy!

Bill

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rfeustel View Post
    Wow. I received the bits. It’s like I’ve never seen a real drill bit before. What a difference. Thanks!!
    Glad you are happy.

Treat them like any other fine precision tool! Never use them in a hand drill unless you REALLY crank the chuck down extra tight to prevent spinning ( and destruction) of the shank. I have two sets of those cheap-o soft steel HF gold drills around for general field drilling and cobbling.

If you treat them right, they will last a lifetime and probably will never need sharpening.

Boolit Master
    The HF cobalt drills are not bad, much better than the tin coated HF drills. They are about $115 for the 115 pc drill set.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    The HF cobalt drills are not bad, much better than the tin coated HF drills. They are about $115 for the 115 pc drill set.
    Yes they are OK......but they do not have micro ground precision flutes like the good American-made drills do! I can cut my fingers on the flutes of my drill set. And the "business end" maintains a diamond ground and sharpened edge for many years, even under hard but caring usage. Very precision ground and sharpened for years of quality cutting.

That is why I have a couple HF cheap sets for general drilling. If one breaks, I throw it way, If one is dull, I sharpen it on my DAREX sharpener. Never any need to use the DAREX on the quality set.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234