WidenersInline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
Snyders JerkyLoad DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IMR 4831 in 500 s&w magnum

Boolit Bub

IMR 4831 in 500 s&w magnum

Just curious if anyone has tried a compressed case full of IMR 4831 in 500 s&w. I’m aware it isn’t an ideal powder for the caliber. But was wondering if it would be a reliable light load with the Lee 440gn boolit. I was just going to give it a shot, but id rather not have to pound the slug out of the barrel. Any insight appreciated!

I ask because I have a significant amount of IMR 4831 and I’d shoot the barrel out of my 25-06 before I used it all up.

Boolit Master

IMR 4831 is like 70 to 80 notches down the burn rate chart. I believe this is powder used for big bore magnum rifle calibers, but it MAY work, just haven't seen any load data for it. I have used IMR 4227, H 4895 and Lil Gun. Mine actually prefers 4227 over H110.
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

That would be a horrible combination in theory, but probably would be fun to try.

I have used cfeblk and imr 4759 for the 44 mag 240gr berry's fmj fp with pleasant results. Which would be almost as out of place as 4831 in 500

If you decide would be interesting to hear how it went

IMR 4831 in the 500 S&W

Imr 1999. The old data list all the powders. Doesnt mean its a good choice. It will not blow up. Lightly compressed, IMR 4831 in 500 s&w. should be ok.
    Last edited by 243winxb; 09-13-2021 at 05:45 PM.

The above is rifle 44 mag data. The rifle has no vent between cylinder & barrel to bleed off pressure. May make a difference In the 500?

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by 500aquasteve View Post
    That would be a horrible combination in theory, but probably would be fun to try.

I have used cfeblk and imr 4759 for the 44 mag 240gr berry's fmj fp with pleasant results. Which would be almost as out of place as 4831 in 500

If you decide would be interesting to hear how it went

Yeah I definitely want to try it, I was just hoping I’d get enough velocity to leave the barrel reliably, I’m completely aware it’s out of place but was hoping it would end up somewhere in the 650-800fps range for light loads, I have plenty of H110 and Ramshot enforcer I use for magnum loads, even tried unique a couple times for light loads, I was hoping I’d be able to use up some 4831 and get some lighter loads for the 500, getting two birds stoned at once as they say.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieselhorses View Post
    IMR 4831 is like 70 to 80 notches down the burn rate chart. I believe this is powder used for big bore magnum rifle calibers, but it MAY work, just haven't seen any load data for it. I have used IMR 4227, H 4895 and Lil Gun. Mine actually prefers 4227 over H110.
    Yeah I wish I could find some reasonably priced 4227, I still haven’t gotten to try it yet. I’ve been using H110 and Ramshot enforcer with great results, I don’t even mind the full magnum loads, just thought it would be fun to have some light loads to play around with and would like to burn up some 4831 due to the fact I have so much of it.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by 243winxb View Post
    Imr 1999. The old data list all the powders. Doesnt mean its a good choice. It will not blow up. Lightly compressed, IMR 4831 in 500 s&w. should be ok.
    Thanks, seeing this data for 4831 in a straight walled cartridge makes me want to give it a try. The Lee 440 has a second crimp groove, so I can try a case full at both overall lengths and see what the velocity ends up at and if it gives any consistency whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter Mcgun View Post
    Yeah I wish I could find some reasonably priced 4227, I still haven’t gotten to try it yet. I’ve been using H110 and Ramshot enforcer with great results, I don’t even mind the full magnum loads, just thought it would be fun to have some light loads to play around with and would like to burn up some 4831 due to the fact I have so much of it.
    I just wish I could find some 4227! I just want to experiment, not ready to buy 8 pounds ......yet! memtb
    You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“LETS GO BRANDON”

Boolit Bub
    Keep an eye on powdervalley, they get some in fairly often, it’s just gone immediately. Sign up to the reloading discord for stock notifications!

Boolit Grand Master
    There will be considerable unburned powder. In revolvers having a load of powder fall under the extractor star is a pain. In rifles not so much.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    There will be considerable unburned powder. In revolvers having a load of powder fall under the extractor star is a pain. In rifles not so much.
    So do you think it’s even worth trying? It’s not something I need to do, was just trying to use up all this 4831 I have, it’s pretty old and I don’t want it to go bad, it’s milsurp for 20mm, no idea on the age.

Boolit Master

Shooter, there is nothing wrong with trying it as long as you stay with reasonable loads that have a history(loading manuals). From my experience with 4831, expect to get a lot of unburned powder residue in even a 10" barreled pistol caliber. You don't get a complete burn in some of the rifles with 22" barrels. I know, I have used a lot of 4831` in the past and still do in certain applications(heavy for caliber bullets). Experimenting is fun and interesting if done correctly. That is how we learn how some things work and others don't. james

Point muzzle up when ejecting shells to a avoid unburnt powder under the extractor star.

I have to do this with 2400 in a 357 mag.

Boolit Master
    Having a lot of 4831 is a good problem to have , I have used it in everything from 223 rem - 300 mag , although I never thought of trying it in a handgun .

Wonder if a little extra roll crimp with magnum match primers might help too.

Boolit Grand Master
    Interesting to see stuff like this. I would never have considered using a "rifle" powder in a pistol case but these are desperate times.

My only use for 4831 is in the .300 Win Mag with jacketed bullets.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Interesting to see stuff like this. I would never have considered using a "rifle" powder in a pistol case but these are desperate times.

My only use for 4831 is in the .300 Win Mag with jacketed bullets.
    And a pound won't load a hundred round box .

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Just as a guide .

I loaded H322 in a 45 Colts with data from a trusted source with a 350 gr bullet . The start load was 1240 fps in a 16" carbine with a desired max pressure of 23kpsi . It was under 800 fps in a 7.5" Blackhawk . I tried 4350 once in a 357 . I felt lucky the 158 cleared the carbine barrel .

Stepping up to 50 cal and slowing down the powder down ........ I did shoot a near full case of 4350 in a 358 Win with good results under a 250 gr . I have a 45 Raptor and hadn't really thought about anything slower than 4198 as it's a bolt gun though no big deal if I don't make the pressure needs .

I think 4831 might be ok in a carbine or rifle but it's not going to do much in a pistol .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast