Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
Titan Reloading

Thread: Heaviest cast bullet used in a 32-20 rifle?

Heaviest cast bullet used in a 32-20 rifle?

I have a Marlin 94CL in 32-20. I have primarily been shooting a Lee 115gr GC ( 118gr from my WW ) . Shoots quite accurately. Was wondering if it would be practicle to shoot, say a 125 to 130gr bullet ? What would be the advantage of a heavier bullet. I am not looking to shoot deer with this cartridge, although I know it has been used for that many times in the past. Just wondering if I'm overlooking some aspect of this round ?

Boolit Master
    there is a lot of info her going back a bunch of years and also Paco Kelly did an extensive write up on 32-20

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...g-with-a-32-20

Not a lot of point to going very heavy, and you're twist rate limited if you go too long. It still has to feed through the action and have some room left for gunpowder in the case. Now a TC Contender, that's another matter but not in the Marlin.

Boolit Grand Master

A quick search shows a typical 32-20 twist rate is 1:20". That is going to be the limiting factor. You will be just fine with 125 and 130 grain bullets. 140+, and you will likely start to run into stability issues.

I run heavier bullets in its hot headed grandson, the 327 federal because they shoot more accurately than the light bullets. That's a big advantage if you ask me.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    My experience has been that with bullets heavier than 120 grains, when seated to OAL to fit revolver cylinder or feed in lever action, that bullet base is below neck - shoulder junction, reducing powder capacity and being subject to base upset which impairs accuracy. The Ideal #3118 is optimum.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I use the Accurate 313120B bullet with standard bullet lube. Works well for me in a T/C single shot. Your cartridge O.A.L. may be determined by the rifle action so it would be a grand idea to determine what the max COAL is for your Marlin and ensure the bullet you pick will function. I seat mine to 1.60" COAL. When fired over 7gr of Accurate #7, these deliver 1250fps out of a 10" tube. Bear in mind that the T/C has a .308 bore so these bullets, sized to .313, are getting squeezed down some and that is contributory to the higher pressure (velocity).

Attachment 288657