Load DataRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Out of africa

Boolit Master
    Thanks again to all of you for putting up with my long winded report, I'm sure some of you could have swam to Africa in the time it took to read it. Prices are really low right now & while I expect them to go up I still think they will be a bargain for at least another year because of covid.
    If you've been vaccinated & have a passport you are perfectly safe to go, just pick the package that suits you with Mothswhere & do it. I wish I could have taken even more photo's but we would have had to stop the truck & go back & you just can't do it, you have to keep going but there's so much to see!
    We saw many, many women washing their clothes in the rivers & hanging the clothes on the rocks or bushes to dry. Now the water doesn't just have fish in there, it also has Croc's & Hippo's in there as well. Maybe there's warning signs, I don't know but most Croc's & Hippo's can't read. I know my friend Fred that shot the 14' Croc took it from the same river where the women were washing, yikes!!
    Many of these people lived in tin sheds with dirt floors, some lived under tarps with dirt floors & they cooked outside over wood fire pits. You just have to see the culture, telling it doesn't really sink in.

Dick
    Last edited by sixshot; 09-20-2021 at 02:13 PM.

Just a few questions.

How was the security situation?
    What happens to the meat from the critters that are killed?
    What about trophies? How expensive is it for mounts and getting them home?

How was getting your guns through the airlines and customs coming and going?

Thanks
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    I've always loved reading about African Hunting since first picking up Dad's American Hunter Magazines with Finn Agaard as one of their lead contributors. Then a friend introduced me to Peter Hathaway Capstick's tomes that carried my thoughts to the varied scenes of that distant land. Bell of Africa, even Blixin, who was the light villian in Out of Africa, the movie, was portrayed in a different light by his nephew's book. Fuel for the imagination all these years. Will I ever make the trip? Not sure, but reading of your rewarding adventure is pure enjoyment. Good for you.

Boolit Master
    thumbcocker, security is fine, when you land at the airport in JB your PH will be standing there at customs to help you retrieve your guns & help you get everything gathered up & out of the airport. They have their own van & parking area & you go right out to it & make a 4 hour drive north to their lodge which is very secure & very remote. The area is enclosed my several remote controlled, locked gates and you pass through about 4 of them.
    This is wild, remote country & once you get there the closest town is about 60 miles as near as I could tell. There's lots of land & lots of game, what ever you want, you will get it. The meat is taken care of as soon as it's shot & we ate it every day & it was simply amazing. The chef working there could work at any fine restaurant in the states, it was over the top good. Nothing goes to waste, the Africans will even eat the tail or intestines if you give it to them they are so hungry for meat.
    The heads & hides are kept for 2 months, dipped & dried for parasites then either mounted there or shipped to about 4-5 different shipping points in the US to be delivered wherever you choose.
    It's much cheaper to have them tanned there, if you want them mounted it's up to you. I've always had mine done here but they do excellent work in Africa as well, then they crate them up & ship them to the different ports in the US.
    Prices are way down, maybe they will go up some but I expect them to stay down some for at least another year, if you want to go, don't wait, it won't last forever. Call Scott in Utah at the name I gave above or PM me & I'll put you in touch with either him or Bob Grace, they are the agents in the states for Motswhere Safaris in Africa. I don't know how it could be any better, it's 5 star all the way, from food to rooms to hunting.

Dick

Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

That's an awesome write up and picture show sixshot. I couldn't help but notice in the kudu pictures you had on a Soda Springs Cardinals sweat shirt!! Thanks so much for the information, I am trying to talk my wife in to going.

Boolit Man
    I'll mirror what most others have already said.. awesome hunt

One day if the funds are ever there, and Covid ever clears, I'd love to do a handgun trip to Africa "much" like yours. Great to be able to see & read successful hunts from guys like yourself. Congrats all the way around!

Boolit Buddy

That's one heck of a hunt and definitely sounds like this is the time to go while the prices are down. Thanks for sharing the info.

Boolit Master
    Idaho Mule, that Soda Springs sweat shirt now belongs to a young PH in Africa. Some mornings can be brisk riding in the open in the back of a land cruiser & I'm sure it will get a lot of use & I have several of them. I also gave him my range finder as a gift. He was a fun young fellow & was very much enjoying being with the "revolver" hunter, I liked him a lot.
    Too bad he had to leave part way through our hunt, he was going home to see family about 400 miles away, south of Johannesburg. Hadn't been home in months. He's the young fellow that's in the photo when I got the Zebra, name was Tian.

Dick

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123