Reloading EverythingLoad DataWidenersLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Out of africa

Boolit Buddy
    Great hunt. Thanks for letting us be there with you.
    Steve

Moderator Emeritus

wow, great story, great photos
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    :grin Outstanding Sir.Thank you for taking the time and effort to post.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    Last edited by woodbutcher; 09-13-2021 at 08:30 PM.
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Thanks for sharing and hope your toe feels better!!! Want to adopt me??? I can carry you around on a piggyback Safari next time!

Thanks for sharing your amazing adventure. You've inspired me to use my .41 magnum more by itself!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Thanks again guys! Normally the 41 magnum is my most used caliber so on this hunt I planned on using the bisley 45 a bit more, as it turned out I used it a lot. Larry & Riley used the FA 41 on the Wildebeest, the Zebra, the Nyala, one of the Impala's & one other animal, don't remember which one. That 272 gr cast bullet was a real hammer.
    Normally we use a 230 gr Keith or a 250 gr LBT but wanted to try the bigger slug on this trip. Bullet placement makes it happen.

Boolit Master

Great story, thanks for sharing it.

So what did they think of pistoleers by the time the hunts end came around?
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master
    At first they were suspect of two things, if the revolvers had enough power to do the job & if me & Larry had the ability to make the shot. So we were under a bit of pressure as you might imagine since we were the first hand gun hunters they had ever had at the lodge.
    Also, even though they were very experienced with solids they were not experienced with cast bullets, so another hurdle we had to cross to convince them we belonged. After the first 2 days we could finally take a breath & say they liked us, they were enjoying it as much, if not more than we were & it was good to know they trusted our ability to make good shots.
    The vitals on most African animals is farther forward than our American game & they stressed that from the beginning & it helped us with shot placement, we didn't make any mistakes & for the most part I took 5 animals with 6 shots although they like you to put a "finisher" in about everything you shoot. It wasn't necessary on my Zebra, I think it was dead before it hit the ground.

Dick

Thanks for sharing the great story and photos. Congratulations to you for your very successful hunt! Africa and Alaska have been my fantasies since junior high! I’ll live my hunts vicariously through you! Taking your animals with handguns, makes the hunt even more special! memtb
    You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“LETS GO BRANDON”

Boolit Buddy
    Kudos to you sir.
    These stories are going to resonate in the hunting experiences by providing the data you had provided.
    Excellent shooting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

Great write up and pictures, Thanks Sixshot.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master
    Just wonderfull, six shot. Great photos and story to go with it. I hunted the Limpopo area back in 2002, so, many of your photos really bring back the memories.

Looks like a great Trip Sixshot. I was just across the river from you, Sass Post/Tuli Block Botswana, the 1st 2 weeks of August. Was neither a Handgun Hunt nor with CB's but had an indescribable time. But I guess I might try to if I can figure out how to post pics.
    Congrats on a great looking trip
    Kevin
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? (Sgt. Oddball, KELLY'S HEROES)
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    my feedback thread
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

Boolit Master

Being from South Africa, you're making me homesick! Congrats on a successful hunt and introducing the PH's to the capabilities of handgun/cast.

Old kudu joke: "Why is it called a kudu?" - "Because his balls are so big that when he walks they bounce together and it sounds like "ku-DOOH! ku-DOOH!".

Speaking of the potjie (pronounced "poy-kee", which means "little pot"), I bought a #3 size a few years back and have used it a good number of times to introduce my local Texans to the pleasures of African slow-cooking:

The one rule about doing a potjie is that it is NEVER stirring while cooking; the food is layered and then left to bubble gently for at least 4 hours, preferably 8.
    Last edited by AndyC; 09-19-2021 at 11:16 AM.
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Boolit Mold
    Thank you for sharing your Hunt, Great Pictures, Great Story.

Boolit Master

WOW! Vehicular nostalgia! Those Land Cruisers in the long wheelbase FJ(gas)/BJ(diesel)-45 format are really rare birds in the U.S., never having been officially imported in the pickup models, and only in the wagon versions to the late 1960's.

I had a 1978 FJ-40 (short wheelbase) from '96 to 2016 which I parted with out of a need to increase creature comfort, but mechanically, INCREDIBLE vehicle. That there are 50 year old examples still operating as daily work trucks IN RURAL AFRICA tells you all you need to know about how they're built. Body rust was the real killer of them in places where it rains - that -45 looks like a real time capsule!

Great job of proving the boolit concept! Lead works. Who knew?
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

This was a very depressing thread, A 454 fa in Africa...I have a 454 fa and it will never get to go there. I think it will always be under utilized here in the states. Thanks for sharing your adventures! I can only dream...
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Boolit Master

I enjoyed the hunt thanks,

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you for this write up, I really enjoyed it.

Boolit Master
    Thank you for sharing your hunt with photos and write up.... and especially the prices. For some reason in this country folks tend not to wish to talk about "cost" of things. I'm impressed with the cost - when reading your first few posts I was thinking "tens of thousands". I started looking and was surprised how low the cost was for plains type animals, as long as you stay away "high dollar" animals (lion, elephant, etc).

Again sixshot - THANK YOU for posting and sharing with us.

Ken H>
    Last edited by KenH; 09-24-2021 at 01:56 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast