MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Wideners Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need help with carseat cleaning

Boolit Buddy

need help with carseat cleaning

Hey all, kinda of a gross question but how do you get poop out of a perforated leather carseat?

Me and my dog were headed to atwoods and he had an accident in the seat. Normally I have stall matting on the seat to keep his toenails from tearing it, but as luck would have it, not this time.
    He's a 2 year old +100# rottweiler so high volume and high potentcy poop.
    As soon as I could I pulled into a gas station and scooped as much of it out as I could and wiped what I could with alcohol.
    Then when we got home I finished wiping with disinfectant wipes took the seat out and then sprayed with oxy clean.
    Right now it's sitting in the sun to help further. Problem is that the leather is perforated, so I KNOW some of the poop is still there and the potency of his anal emissions (gaseous, solid and liquid) are so legendary that they would gag a maggot up wind of them.
    Pretty sure if the seat were still in the vehicle the smell would permeate the rest of the vehicle

Super Moderator

If it was me I'd go after it very sparingly with some simple green spray, and then carefully go over it with a shop vac. I'd be apprehensive of rubbing my leather seats with alcohol.

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    Oh man, that is a crappy situation!

Take a picture of an uncontaminated car seat, so we know what you are working with , I don't need to see no dog poop, if it's anything like when the wine bottle exploded on the front seat in my truck, I used two sponges and two buckets and hot soapy water, my seats are fabric but I'm sure that blotting will work either way.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

try an upholstery cleaner, you can get a little steam one that has attachments for tight areas
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master

The Leather is only a cover. You don't state what type of vehicle it is but a little bit of internet searching and you should be able to find out how to remove it. There may be electrical connections to it if it is heated. Once you get it off you can clean it easily and possibly the foam seat cushion as well. Forgot to mention there may be hog rings or very strong velcro where the stitching or welting is. If it is a GM vehicle shoot me a PM and I may be able to help you in a bit more detail.

I'd look for cleaners at the auto parts store that will work on the leather without hurting it.

Use that, maybe a old tooth brush, and a vacuum. Then lots of a good quality brand of leather conditioner every 2-3 days for a week or so.
    It works like hand lotion does for our skin, and keeps it from drying out & cracking.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Flush repeatedly with water and detergent using a vacuum to suck out the mixture. A wet dry vac would be best after it dries you should treat it with something like saddle soap etc. If that doesn’t solve the problem, you may have to result in removing it as already mentioned. Another solution would be a solid vinyl cover to block the smell in and protect from future mishaps. A pet store may have deodorizers especially formulated for this purpose.

Boolit Buddy
    2003 Honda Pilot

seat Looks kinda like this (except mine are more worn)

Boolit Master

Do a search that seat and cushion should be easily removed if you are handy with a few tools. Depends on how far you want to take it.

Boolit Master
    First, I'd try contacting my insurance. Probably a waste of time but you never know---. If that don't work try the local auto wrecker to find a replacement seat.
    R.D.M.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Scrub it with Dawn and baking soda. Rinse with clean water. Should take care of the problem.

Janitor supply houses should have the deodorant that they use in semi trailers. I've not used it in years, but a single drop would deodorize a 40' trailer.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Just don't worry about it. You'll get to remember your Rot every time you get into the car.

I'll second soap and water and a really good shop vac or go to the closest carwash with a good vacuum. Take your spray bottle of water soap mix and spray, and vac.

Boolit Grand Master

Depends for the dog next time ... Grandpaw is not the only one who needs help when riding in the front seat .
    After a summer day in the sun with the windows up you might want to consult with an automotive upholstery shop on getting one or both front seats re-done ... strip out all the padding , replace with new and recover .
    That or sell the car "AS IS " to someone you don't like .

I honestly think new upholstery will be the real answer ... if the padding is soaked it needs to be removed and replaced .
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 09-14-2021 at 11:47 AM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    It's not out of order to go to the experts....car detailers have special knowledge for dealing with hard cases!

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    Yeah what Gary said,Pull the tag off and drive a new one underneath it.

Boolit Master

Even taking it to the Honda dealer and getting the seat cushion and cover replaced is cheaper than a new car. This is not a difficult fix to remove the offending material, albeit perhaps not cheap. Once the foam cushion and cover is gone so should be the odor.

Boolit Grand Master

Id treat it like a saddle. Saddle soap and elbow grease. In any case i think that seat needs to come out and the padding replaced.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Banned
    Take it to an upholstery shop and let them do a pro job on it it will come back better than ever.

Boolit Master
    Pro car upholstery cleaners have some amazing tools at their disposal to take care of about any situation. A lot cheaper than replacing stuff.

Boolit Master

Seat from a boneyard? But what was on it before? Get it recovered by a pro.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast