RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionLoad DataWidenersTitan Reloading
Repackbox

Thread: Lyman Handle Screws

Boolit Master

Lyman Handle Screws

I picked up a used 4 cavity Lyman 358156 mold yesterday. The vender didn't have a spare set of handles in this kit that would fit except for those already attached to another multiple cavity mold. He took them off and sold those handles to me, also, but did not include the long set screws to fasten the handles and mold together. The local hardware store doesn't carry set screws that would fit, but testing various screw sizes it appears that 12-24 threads work with what is available. Is this correct or is this a close fit but not an exact thread size? Where does a fellow obtain the set screws required to fasten the handles to the mold the way they should be?
    Thank you

Boolit Master
    I would contact Lyman Customer Service and tell them what you need.
    COME AND TAKE IT
    Let’s Go Brandon!!!!

Vendor Sponsor

This post made me wonder about the 4-cavities.
    I thought the 4-cavity screws would be the same as the one and two cavity molds. Nope. Mine 4-cavity molds measures 12-24 just like yours. The screws are headless and slotted. In other words, a ><0.218" steel dowel cylinder, threaded 24tpi on one end and slotted on the other. About an inch long.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    Chill,
    Thanks for looking at your screws and confirming what I thought was supposed to be used. Maybe I'll purchase a few of those screws, cut off the heads and hacksaw some slots in one end to screw it into place.

Boolit Master

Why don't you just call Lyman and get the proper screws.
    I've seen dozens of molds at Gun Shows ruined by some slub either too cheap or too impatient to get the proper screws from Lyman.
    Or get ahold of the vendor and get the proper screws that he OWES you.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    Why don't you just call Lyman and get the proper screws.
    I've seen dozens of molds at Gun Shows ruined by some slub either too cheap or too impatient to get the proper screws from Lyman.
    Or get ahold of the vendor and get the proper screws that he OWES you.
    Man, what a dandy idea. If only I were that bright to have thought of sumpin that smart, but being such a 'slub' puts me on the lower end of the carbon life form scale. If you meant to communicate in such a demeaning and snarky manner, you've succeeded. I originally posted on Sunday. Lyman customer service wasn't available then. I finally got home late last night and had the moment to see Chill's post. Lyman's customer service wasn't available then, either. I just had a few moments between life and business commitments to flip through my favorite forum board to see that my intelligence and competence has been called into question by a superior being. Good thing, too, as it prompted me not to ever screw up something so incredibly important as a used bullet mold by screwing in an exact duplicate of what the manufacturer tapped it for. Couldn't have that, can we...
    But, alas, the fine man at Lyman Customer service was on duty this morning and will kindly ship those two screws to my door! See, sir, your cajoling has prompted this lamentable creature to spur his errant ways and order the proper screws for the task. Didn't hurt that I have Lyman's number in my phone and they have my name and contact information from prior transactions. Good thing smart phones can make up the differences for deficient beings or one such as I would have no hope of surviving in this cruel world.

Boolit Master

Sorry, wasn't trying to be"snarky",
    Just Strongly Opinionated.
    And by the way, your sarcasm is first rate.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Moderator / Master Tool & Die Maker

Keep it civil gentleman, or the thread may get locked and a few infractions issued.
    "I Make the part.............................that makes the parts"

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Red-River-Rick

Boolit Master
    A tip of the hat to Ed_Shot and Walks for the recommendation to contact Lyman. You gentlemen were correct in your assessment of the need. Could I have fabricated the screws from the hardware store? Yes, but it wouldn't have turned out as pleasing to the eye as these Lyman sent in the mail. I would add a picture but CB isn't accepting my jpg's the past few days.
    Thanks again,

Christopher