WidenersRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: "UKKO-WAARIN HIRWILATINGIT" (Finland)."MOOSE LOADS OF GREAT-GRANDFATHER"

Boolit Master

"UKKO-WAARIN HIRWILATINGIT" (Finland)."MOOSE LOADS OF GREAT-GRANDFATHER"

Found this and thought some would like. It is wrote in Finnish and English. http://guns.connect.fi/gow/historia4.html The one I liked was the making of round ball rounds.

Boolit Grand Master

Round ball loads can produce quite good accuracy from smoothbore to at least 50 yards and maybe out to 70 yards or so if you keep them centered and avoid rattling or rolling in the bore.

Slightly over bore diameter RB's (0.735"+ ball) and RB's in shotcups (snug fit) have shot very well for me and generally group 4" or less out to 50 yards.

Donut wad under the ball and wrap for sub bore diameter RB's as shown in the link should work just fine.

For me, best accuracy is with a solid hard card wad column with bore diameter RB's and with nitro card wads under sub bore diameter balls when loaded into shotcups.

If using a cushion leg wad the wad will try to swage itself around the ball without good support under the ball.

Longbow

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    Have you shot that loading at a steel plate? I feel that a 735 roundball must be powerfull, would beat the crap out of a steel plate, send it flying.

What kind sights on a shotgun are you getting a 4 inch group at 50 yards? My first gun was a shotgun, I made the mistake of picking that up and it feels good in the hands, and the trigger is excellent for a match rifle... and the bead sight is foot and a half wide at 50 yards.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

OK FYI the Steel he was talking about for the first slugs mentioned in the text (with drawing) is known as 12L14. It is essentially Cold Rolled steel with some lead added for free machining. It was originally made for use in Screw Machines where the stringy chips from regular Cold Rolled Steel would be a problem. Chips from 12L14 typical are flakes not strings.
    He also mentioned "Case Hardening" for increased penetration of hard targets. An Example of a common usage is in Lathe and Mill Collets. These are all made from 12L14 and then Case Hardened and then finish ground.

It should be noted that this material is used extensively in Industry and has been since WW1. I use it exclusively for any round steel part, and every single round part that I made for my Jeeps over the years has been made out of 12L14. Tensile Strength is around 80,00 psi. Regular Cold Rolled is around 60,000 psi.

I guess everyone on the planet is making their own ammo? And probably always have since the one thing that any Suppressive Regime has to control most is Ammo, since the guns are hidden in every nook and cranny and they'd never get them all. I saw a movie recently where the people were in some part of Ireland and to make money they were reloading ammo. They actually had Dillon Square Deals and 550's set up to do the most common calibers. Then they got blown up by a bunch of German Mercenaries and that was that.

Lots of good info in that Finnish Paper. You'll also note the Russian Influence.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Interesting,thanks!

That page has lots of other stories,too. This one I never saw before.

Shotguns and slugs are still strictly banned for hunting moose here.

( I finally got a 20 gauge SxS and my Economy RB:s just happen to shoot 3" @ 35 meters from the 1/2 choke barrel.) Those balls are loaded into factory trap ammo.

About making ammo : It will be interesting to see what all will happen with the global lead ban threat...

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    Shotguns and slugs are still strictly banned for hunting moose here.
    Here too! Deer and black bear are legal with slugs but nothing larger.

Oddly, as far as I know a smoothbore musket like a .62 trade musket or Brown Bess or similar is legal for elk and moose but a 12 ga. with slug ir round ball is not!

Global lead ban!?! When is this supposed to happen?

Yes, Gunwriters on the web is full of good info. I'm guessing much of the content is the result of the Russian occupation of Finland.

Longbow

When did Russia occupy Finland? Finland defeated Russia( USSR) both times that they had a war. The quote from a Finn soldier -
    " Look at all these men- where will we bury them?" comes to mind.. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

I stand corrected! I thought the Russians had occupied Finland but not so.

There were hostilities and two wars but no Russian occupation.

Longbow