Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Wideners Load Data

Thread: shotgun mold. what is this guy doing?

Boolit Grand Master

shotgun mold. what is this guy doing?

I can't get just the video to upload. The link is to a reddit bullet casting page. The setup has the person melting lead sinkers for shot. I'm interested in whether this is a typical mold to do it and also what he is dropping the pellets into, it looks like a gel of some type. In the comments it says it's an "Oasis Dripper". Never seen one

Go to the reloading page and down a few posts to "dove season is lowering my lead reserves" and watch this then comment, please

https://www.reddit.com/r/reloading/?...t%20Casting%22

Oasis Lead Dripper https://www.amazon.com/Oasis-Lead-Sh...1MU0FD0N&psc=1

Is this a normal mold for pellets as in, does anyone here have an Oasis and what is that gel type stuff? Ebay has the Oasis for over $400. Amazon $500
    Last edited by jonp; 09-12-2021 at 07:36 AM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

It looks easy to make but from what I’ve read it is a challenge to make shot.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Master

Time & Money ....

https://imgur.com/ToyEvxb

This is my little two dripper, running pure Pb

Scott
    Last edited by dsh1106; 09-12-2021 at 08:39 AM.
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Boolit Master
    http://www.oasisleadshotmaker.com/up...shot_maker.pdf

Page 19
    "Oasis Lead Shot Maker

Coolants
    Water Soluble Oil.
    Water soluble oil comes in many forms and brands. The object is to dilute it with
    water to decrease its density, or thin it out some. You must use a thinner base oil
    to begin with, NAPA’s cutting and grinding oil as it comes out of the bottle is
    about 90 weight, it calls for a cutting dilution of 1 part oil to 40 parts water, this
    would be a poor choice for coolant. Rustlick on the other hand is about 20 weight
    out of the bottle and calls for a dilution of 1 part oil to 10 parts water. While this
    may be a better choice some experimentation would be necessary to get a
    dilution that would work. Even though water soluble oil does not separate like fabric softener does it
    will smoke and steam while in use and the smell can be unpleasant. Water soluble oil will grow a
    bacteria that eventually can have a foul smell and some people can have violent allergic reactions to it. If you choose to use water soluble oil a good place to start is with a dilution of 2 parts oil to 3
    parts distilled water. Metsafe FR 210 seems to be the best choice but can be expensive. If your shot is
    out of round add more water and mix well. If your shot has dimples add a little more oil and mix well.
    The downfall of using water soluble oil is the cleaning of your shot afterword’s, it will be
    necessary to use a detergent such as Borax laundry soap and agitating the shot while in the detergent.
    Rinse the shot very well before drying and applying graphite to your shot. Another choice of coolants is Liquid Soap. The best of these seems to be ALL, this is available in
    most locations and rinses off the shot well if using lots of water. You will need to thin the detergent a
    little with distilled water, watch your shot for out of round or dimples and add distilled water or soap as
    needed. We do not recommend this as a coolant because it is so hard to wash off. An easy choice of coolants to find is antifreeze, the best seems to be RV antifreeze. Use
    antifreeze straight with no dilution, again, this is hard to wash off and requires lots of soap and lots of
    rinsing. Several customers have reported very good results with Altra Performance Products FR 200 WG
    from Alegany Petroleum. This water soluble, flame retardant machine oil is used without dilution as it is
    a 10 weight oil. While it does not cause dimples it is hard to rinse off the shot and requires soap and
    water, lots of water.

Fabric Softener, the cheap stuff can be purchased at any dollar store. Some of
    the cheaper softeners may separate and look white in color, replace it with the
    cheap stuff or spending a little more will achieve a quality that lasts longer before
    separating."

Boolit Master

I'm using Sam's Club fabric softener - straight, no dilution.
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Boolit Grand Master

Nobody has one? Would Moose Milk work in this with a little tinkering? I didn't see the purpose of it, is it to soften the drop into the liquid?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dsh1106 View Post
    Time & Money ....

https://imgur.com/ToyEvxb

This is my little two dripper, running pure Pb

Scott
    Scott, that looks like it works great. What is it? A two hole looks to be plenty for someone not shooting trap or skeet.

Boolit Buddy
    Oasis is the old Littleton shot maker group.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Scott, that looks like it works great. What is it? A two hole looks to be plenty for someone not shooting trap or skeet.
    Mine is a Shannon Shot Maker.
    What you see in the video is #9 shot with two single hole drippers, using Sam's Club fabric softener - straight, no dilution. If I keep at it, I can get about 6.5# per hour once everything is up to temperature and the recirculation pump is working.

Scott
    Scott

Boolit Master

check out ghosthawks thread on this, it will answer all your questions. a bunch of us made drippers.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Buddy
    I have the oasis shotmaker. I use brake fluid for coolant. I can run about 100 lbs an hour when it's up to temp

Boolit Master
    Dollar store fabric softener works good. Water causes the shot to blow up like popcorn (well almost). It just ain't round no more. Circulation pump helps keep the coolant cool in your catch bucket so your shot stays good. If your coolant temp gets to 130degF it will mess up too. Vehicle heater core with a small fan gets the temp back down but by that time you've already got about 100lbs of shot to deal with. There are a number of items you can use for a coolant. Fabric softener seems the easiest to deal with. Clean with water and dry. Then tumble and add graffiti.