RepackboxWidenersSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about a new Rossi 92 .357

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar

Thinking about a new Rossi 92 .357

Anybody have experience with the current Rossi 92 .357? I'm about to call the fun store and order one but want to see what your experiences are first. I know it's not a JM 1894 or Miroku 92, but are they pretty functional out of the box? I'm planning to feed it the same mid range .357's with the Lee 358-125-RF that my Marlin likes so much. If it's minute of coyote accurate to 100 yards I would be satisfied. The 16" carbine is what I am interested in.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

I bought the newest 20 inch iteration of the Rossi 92 in 44 Mag. I only shoot my cast Keith 44
    Specials in it. They feed fine.

The detents on the carrier were shallow. I fixed that. Second, the sear had a bur that caused the sear to catch on the half cock notch. I took
    The gun apart and filed the bur out.

You should not have to fix a new rifle. But once fixed, I like it better than my Winchester 92. It has a handier feel. Would buy again. It shoots cast bullets fine. I was not interested in sending it to the Rossi repair place. I used a YouTube video to guide the disassembly and reassembly. Sequence matters.
    Last edited by fn1889m; 09-12-2021 at 07:17 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Just bought a 16" 45 colt and haven't found anything wrong with it. Looking at a stainless 357magnum next. I think they have stepped up their game.

Boolit Master

I have the longer barrel version of that and it has never given any problems. 38 special and 357 cast of all weights have shot well. enjoy.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

I don't have experience with the .357, but I have an R92-55008 (16" .44 Magnum) that I purchased right at one year ago. The action is super smooth, it has a great trigger and seems to hit whatever I aim at; max. range of 50 yards, so far. It's become one of my favorite lever actions, and yes, I'm looking for one in .357 Magnum as well.

Had one in 45 Colt and won’t go that way again. After a year, I decided to remove wood and wax underside of forearm. There was a gouge that was open from the magazine tube to underside of wood. Rossi refused to make good as it was after 1 year. I tried to explain it was a manufacturers defect and it wasn’t abuse or even fair wear and tear on my part. Strike one. Could never get accurate groups with different bullets. What was 2” at 50 with my Win 94 turned to 15” with the Rossi. Eventually got 4” at 50. Strike two. Feeding from magazine tube was erratic. Cartridge came up too steeply to chamber. Strike three. Sold it at a pawn shop and got a Win 92

Boolit Buddy
    Had one. Worked ok. The first deer I shot at with it, it jammed. Have a henry now. Much better.
    siamese4570

Boolit Bub

Have one. Won't feed 357 rounds over 1.46 in length. Shoots 38sp OK. Isn't very smooth action wise. Save your money and look for a marlin or a Winchester.

Boolit Master
    Mine functions rough, gonna try the steve’s gunz suggestions on it since it shoots fine. Also gonna refinish the stock, the pores in the wood are sized to grab my beard stubble and it’s rather irritating.

Boolit Grand Master
    If you already have a Marlin, I suspect you will not be a happy camper with the Rossi unless you want to work on it.

I had one of the older ones and decided it was not worth keeping. Maybe the new ones are better, but I buy guns for the long haul so have learned to not compromise.

A lot of folks like them so it may be the luck of the draw, or not knowing any better. Good luck!!
    Don Verna

I have the 16 inch version you are looking for. I did the Steve's Guns alterations, and it wears a Trijicon RMR. It is the handiest, slickest operating Rossi I own. I do not own the Marlin 1894 but have a Miroku 92 44 Magnum. I really like the Rossi and must get another as this one has been claimed by my wife.
    Tony

My 16" Rossi M-92 .357, like above, has NP with factory ammo.

While not a target rifle, accuracy is very acceptable.

I never need to apply any mods, like Steve's Gunz.

I cannot speak to handloaded ammo, as some boolit nose configs may/may not feed/chamber as normal.

I D/T'd mine atop the receiver sidewalls for a Williams receiver sight designated for the Winchester 94AE; and can tell you that the receiver had the hardest steel I've ever D/T'd.

To do so, I had to fashion a bolt top plug to replace the lawyer safety, as it needed to be gone for the bolt to cycle under the receiver sight body.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Anybody have experience with the current Rossi 92 .357? I'm about to call the fun store and order one but want to see what your experiences are first. I know it's not a JM 1894 or Miroku 92, but are they pretty functional out of the box? I'm planning to feed it the same mid range .357's with the Lee 358-125-RF that my Marlin likes so much. If it's minute of coyote accurate to 100 yards I would be satisfied. The 16" carbine is what I am interested in.
    A Rossi '92 in .357 is what my wife uses for NCOWS cowboy action. Must be going on 5 or 6 years now. Had an initial problem of it not wanting to accept a cartridge, but a thorough cleaning of the magazine tube and follower solved that problem. NO problems after that. Accuracy is right there. For what it's worth, she is shooting .38 specials. The rifle simply does not care if you load it with .38s or .357s.

Boolit Master

I recently sold my Rossi 92 357 mag and kinda miss her, however, she didn't go very far as I sold it to my brother. I do have a Rossi 92 in 44 WCF that is equally as fine a rifle. 24" barrel and all in SS. Balance of this rifle is exceptional and she shoots MOA at 50 yds.

Boolit Master
    I don't have one in 357 but do have one in 454 Casull that I like very well. I got it about 10 years ago and have shot 45 colts and 454 rounds in it. I haven't had to do anything to it as it feeds smooth and shoots well enough. I did replace the safety switch with a home made peep.

Those who are commenting negatively about rifles more than 18 months old are not doing the OP any favors. The manufacturing went through an overhaul and most all the comments I hear are positive on the CBC guns. I would stay away from the 1995-2020 era (approximate) for sure UNLESS the price is good and you like to tinker. My .357 is from the 1980's and doesn't suffer from most of the ills brought about during the Braztech and Taurus eras. I had a .454 for a couple months and it was obviously a lower standard than my old .357 but way better than the ones from the period mentioned above.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Wow, thanks so much for the wealth of info. I am going to talk to the fun store owner this week and see what he thinks, he has sold a lot of them in the past and had some .45's there last week. It may come down to price. If the Rossi is within $200.00 of a Henry, I don't see any reason not to go with the latter. At the same time, this is going to be a rifle that gets used a lot to save wear on my JM 1894 so it doesnt have to be perfect or fancy.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    I like the older ones before they put the safety on the bolt. the best by far is a 45 colt I have that is stamped HARTFORD on the barrel, the action, function fit and finish is fantastic, and is very accurate for a 45 colt. my second favorite is the 44 puma with cast puma head emblem on receiver.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 16" and a 20" version of the new ones, both in .357. They are slick and accurate, I love these things.
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me I am that fool.

Boolit Master
    I bought 2 Rossi 92's about 20 years ago, a 24" octagonal in .357 and a 20" s/steel octagonal in 45 Colt.

Both functioned just fine with cast bullets.

I sold the 24" .357 because I found it to be muzzle heavy.

I still have the 20" S/S in 45 Colt and have no intentions of parting with it.

ukrifleman

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast