Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about a new Rossi 92 .357

I had one and enjoyed it. Mine was well built but had sights that were difficult to see with seven decade eyes. FI tried a springer front sight on the gun and my enjoyment increased using the peep sight. I sold the gun and acquired a Matlin in .357. The Remlin is a much better gun as to fit and finish and much easier to clean. Both rifles were accurate using the factory sights. Where the Marlin excelled was when I wanted to install a scope. The side ejection sold me on the Marlin.

If you like the '92 the Rossi is a good example and will serve you well.

Take Care

Bob
    ps I still own a Rossi n 44mag and like it a lot..
    Last edited by robertbank; 10-11-2021 at 01:53 PM.
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master
    Since Jan, I have purchased a .44, .45LC and a .357, all with 20" round barrel. I have had no issues with any of them, and the .357 is much more accurate than any of the JM Marlin .357s I have ever had, just plain shoots lights out. Both of the other calibers too, and the .44 works .44 specials as good as .44 mags.

Boolit Mold
    My experience with the new generation Rossi has been nothing but positive. Mine is the 16” stainless 357. Very slick, to be honest more so than my Miroku built Winchesters. It does not compare to the Winchesters as far as fit and finish but yet they are half the price. Very much worth the $$$.
    Now that I think about it the only negative for me is the front sight is very wide, like a brick.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Thanks. I'm going to the fun store tomorrow to see what kind of deal I can get.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Well, I talked to the shop today and he said he hasn't been able to get a .357 lever action from any maker for more than a year now. He has gotten a handful of .44' s and .45's from Henry and Rossi but thats all. He said he has standing orders with all the big distributors and nothing. Guess I'll be looking for a little while!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Well, I talked to the shop today and he said he hasn't been able to get a .357 lever action from any maker for more than a year now. He has gotten a handful of .44' s and .45's from Henry and Rossi but thats all. He said he has standing orders with all the big distributors and nothing. Guess I'll be looking for a little while!
    Go gently used. I don't regret my purchase. I saved a little on the price plus taxes and got what I wanted. I may put my Rossi in 44mag up for sale on one of our gun sites up here and look for a Marlin in the same caliber. I need to use a scope for rifle shooting now due to my "experienced" eyes. Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master
    I have a stainless pre silly safety model I purchased 3 yrs ago and just took delivery of. My first range outing showed it would sort of feed 38 special but refused to feed 357 in any brand, it was accurate when loaded single shot so I thought it was worth the effort to fix. I stripped it down to bare bones and removed all the sharp edges that could cause problems, I had to remove metal to allow the ejector to operate properly, the hammer needed work as it galled on left side at times, I found the spring in the cartridge guide stop was installed the wrong way, the grooves in the cartridge guides were not even close to being correct and needed considerable work to allow the cartridge to align with chamber, the chamber entrance had to be deburred to allow cartridge to enter chamber without locking up action, mag spring had to be shortened a good 5'' and loading gate had to be filed to remove all the sharp edges which had made loading painful. Yes it was a lot of work but considering I got the rifle a carved saddle scabbard 1'000 rounds of ammo new unused dies and a hard case for less that half rifle value I considered the work was worth it. I just finished the work yesterday and will be taking a range trip this weekend and the rifle is so slick and feeds everything now except my 156gr Lyman cast. If you want the possibility of a project rifle which will fill your heart with pride yes buy a Rossi. Regards Stephen

I bought a 20" 357 mag. About 6 months ago. Love this gun. Did some action smoothing and shorten the mag spring. Got it on gunbroker, you should find one there.
    Endeavor to persevere

Boolit Bub
    I just sold a Puma 92 in 16" 44mag. I personally have never shot it, but it was a tight little used gun, and the action and trigger was pretty smooth. It was quite a treat to carry. If I still needed a little powerhouse to carry around, I surely would have kept it.
    How meaningful can you be, there is only so much to say before you are talking too much.

I'll keep my eyes peeled. No need to get in a hurry and spend too much. Been there, done that.

Boolit Master

A Rossi 92 stamped with "HARTFORD" on the barrel was imported by EMF of Santa Ana, CA
    It was made to a Higher standard then the Interarms imports. A far better Fit & Finish then ever before. I have a 24" bbl'd Octagon Rifle. Best looking/working Rossi then I'd seen before or since.

Shoots great and functions perfectly from the day I got it.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Bub
    Paid about $525 new 5 yrs or so for my .357 octagonal. Couldn't find a reasonably priced Winny/Marlin at the time. I was pleasantly surprised with fit & finish as i got this from a midwest dealer and didn't have a chance to inspect it. Action/feeding with both .38/.357 was smooth. Have NEVER shot a jacketed round through it. It was only to be used with my lead reloads. Factory sights suck and I later found out that twist may be a major concern mine being something like 1:32. At first it was very finicky. Didn't seem to like the standard 150-158gr offerings. After much trial & error and then suggestions from others on this site and the net who had the same experiences, I tried some 125-130gr offerings from Matts Bullets. Became a tack driver. Curiously, it shoots a 180 gr very well, but they have to be driven much harder. I still don't like my present sight set-up. I'm using a Skinners and it still swivels around too much w/o using tape around the threads. The best sight I think would be the Williams above, but requires D&T.

I'm planning to feed it the Lee 358-125-RF which will do just about anything I need it to do.

I'm currently bidding on a NOS Henry .357 without the side gate. The lack of side gate doesn't bother me, hopefully I can get it cheap.

Boolit Master
    Pm sent, I know where there is a brand new one for sale at a decent price, 16" .357, $650

I have a 16" Ross in 357 for the years I have it , one part broke on me that I had my gunsmith fix it something to do with the firing pin. I had him do some other work on it , it shot good for me all the time right out of the box. What ever I put in it , I can shoot the same ammo I shoot in my 357 BH with out any problems. When my gunsmith test fire it after he fixed it He said it was right on at 100yards on a 6" steel plate . He could not believe it and he shot factory ammo in it. I shoot just cast mainly in it that I made up myself. I gone up to 200 grs boolit that 125 gr shoots good in it .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Buddy
    I have one in 20" for Cowboy Action. The 125 Lee RF is great for that. i was going to use a hollow point in it for deer hunting but it doesn't really shoot that great. I may either try a SWC or a J word and see. It's a great shooting rifle though, just not with my 158 grain hollow points.

I’d get a SS Rossi 357 in a minute and then give it the Steve Gunz treatment.

Well, the listing for the NOS Henry turned out to be a bust. Seller was really sketchy and would only accept PP so I backed out of that one. Koger gave me a tip on a Rossi carbine in stock locally so I will check them out.

The new guns are made in Brazil and are marked that way. I've a 357 SS version 20 inch barrel that I bought about 2 years ago. This was one of the first shipments from the new factory. It loves 38spec, and does ok with 357 rounds. Length does matter a bit, but action is smooth, and it is more accurate than I am. I changed to peep sight to replace the rear ramp buckhorn and it helps me. Price should be about 250 to 300 less than similar Henry.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast