Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad Data
WidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Repackbox Reloading Everything

View Poll Results: What caliber will you be using? Let's try to keep it to "large bore".

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • 30-30

21 41.18%
  • 35 Remington

1 1.96%
  • 38-40 Winchester

2 3.92%
  • 38-55 Winchester

8 15.69%
  • 44-40 Winchester

5 9.80%
  • 44 Magnum

3 5.88%
  • 45 Colt

3 5.88%
  • 45-70 Gov. 405gr

11 21.57%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who is ready for a leveraction 200 yard contest?

Who is ready for a leveraction 200 yard contest?

Just checking to see if any of you guys are ready for some shooting as the weather cool!!!

How about a 50, 75, 100, 150 and 200 yard LEVERACTION challenge? (some guys don't have access to longer ranges.

Here is what the Roster looks like so far. Look at the blanks and send me the information needed to fill them.
    Attachment 288741
    CHECK THE GOOGLE DOC LINK FOR FURTHER INFORMATION

Here is what the Category, Classes and Sub-classes look like.
    Attachment 288742
    Attachment 288743
    CHECK THE GOOGLE DOC LINK FOR FURTHER ADDITIONS and changes.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1242120395

How many shots? hmmmmmm, maybe I can just note how many per target...we'll check on that. I think we should at least make it our best 5 shot groups for the season.

Objective - To see how shooters group a high trajectory cartridge at different ranges for the purpose of hunting white tail deer. This "contest" is centered more around hunting skills rather that just target shooting.

Remember, your true competitor is yourself!

RULES:

1. Please use loads and methods appropriate for hunting. (Bench rests are allowed), "mouse farts" are not. Standing, leaning, propping, slings, scopes, peep sights, sticks...any method that can be used while hunting is allowed.
    2. I think that first shot is important so lets count that fowling shot.
    3. Including and document the first shot,
    4. Try to use at least 5 shot groups. A 5 shot group may beat a 3 shot group if the MOA's are equal. A 10 shot group may beat a 5 shot group...we will see how this works out.
    5. If using a scope, zero in for a concrete range (your desired hunting range) and use elevation for other ranges. This will help you become familiar with and better your skills at calculating elevation at different ranges, especially if your scope is zeroed in at a longer distance and your target is at a closer range. This is one of the reasons for only using higher trajectory cartridges.
    6. Lets stay with one cartridge type for right now.

Results can be seen here as we work out details. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...Cus/edit#gid=0
    If anyone is interested, I think I can enable you to edit your own information if you so desire.

I use iPhone app, Balistic X to get the numers

Attachment 288557 Attachment 288558Attachment 288560

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1242120395
    Last edited by Savvy Jack; 09-15-2021 at 03:28 PM.

Boolit Master
    you mean similar to CBA postal matches?

Quote Originally Posted by kens View Post
    you mean similar to CBA postal matches?
    Yeap, food for thought.

Trying to stay with larger deer hunting cartridges with large trajectories BUT we could add 357 Magnum if needed.
    Oh darn, leveractions

I’m game, but only if you separate the shooting stances so those that prefer standing has a fair chance. I’m down for 50 and 75 yards, standing and setting (no sling).

Boolit Mold
    200 yards is ok, except I have no where close to shoot that far. I voted 45-70, lob that sucker in there no problem. I prefer 100 or less though.

No love for the 71 and the 348 Winchester??
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Grand Master
    The only caliber I have is .30/30...so that was easy
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by trails4u View Post
    No love for the 71 and the 348 Winchester??
    The 348 doesnt have much of a trajectory? Might be nice to add it anyway for documentation
    Last edited by Savvy Jack; 09-11-2021 at 10:59 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Just put a new receiver sight on my '94 30/30.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Bub
    I might be game, does a wheelchair count as sitting, lol. I have quite a few calibers to choose from as well, just not sure if I can get to the range anytime soon though. What are the rules? IE how many shots and can I use more than one gun to do it with?

Quote Originally Posted by Savvy Jack View Post
    The 348 doesnt have much of a trajectory? Might be nice to add it anyway for documentation
    Well....it's 'brand new' to me so what you've shared about trajectory I really appreciate! It's been on my bucket list for a long time for reasons I haven't fully come to understand yet, just had to have one. Now I have one.... Haven't shot it yet, but do have dies, brass, bullets....just lacking time to make it happen. The bore is mirror-like with really sharp and deep rifling so if it doesn't shoot....well that's on me.

Long story short.....I'm in for a postal match! I'll be shooting a yet to be determined load, and probably using a williams fp-71 peep for a sight. Shooting from a bench with bags.

FWIW -- I don't expect to compete strongly....but I like the comradery of it!
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver Scout View Post
    I might be game, does a wheelchair count as sitting, lol. I have quite a few calibers to choose from as well, just not sure if I can get to the range anytime soon though. What are the rules? IE how many shots and can I use more than one gun to do it with?
    I guess "sitting" is fine...maybe we can call it resting (bench rest) or no resting?

Quote Originally Posted by trails4u View Post
    Well....it's 'brand new' to me so what you've shared about trajectory I really appreciate! It's been on my bucket list for a long time for reasons I haven't fully come to understand yet, just had to have one. Now I have one.... Haven't shot it yet, but do have dies, brass, bullets....just lacking time to make it happen. The bore is mirror-like with really sharp and deep rifling so if it doesn't shoot....well that's on me.

Long story short.....I'm in for a postal match! I'll be shooting a yet to be determined load, and probably using a williams fp-71 peep for a sight. Shooting from a bench with bags.

FWIW -- I don't expect to compete strongly....but I like the comradery of it!
    Same here, not really into competing...just trying to gather some information and this is great stuff!!!

Great stuff indeed! Our challenge, if you will, for deer camp in KY this year is to kill our deer with the most obscure rifle... Not points, not mass, not weight, not age.....nope, none of that matters. Hell....kill a young doe (which I actually prefer) BUT....the gauntlet has been laid, kill it as obscurely as you can. I think I'm going with the Werndl for the win!! (NOT a lever action, so admittedly fully off-topic.)

I like what you're doing with this challenge..... Let's bring out the old stuff and see what we can do!

I use iPhone app, Balistic X to get the numers

Attachment 288557 Attachment 288558Attachment 288560

Boolit Master
    The bunch I shoot with here in Central Oregon does this shoot with pistol cartridge leverguns, which is why I went with the 38/40 for my choice of weapon. We shoot the 50 yard off-hand and the 100, 150, 200 sitting with cross-sticks. (Don't shoot at 75 yards). For the rifle cartridge leverguns we shoot 2, 3, 4, and 500 yards, also sitting with cross-sticks.

We haven't shot it yet because our range got closed down for fire danger but we are going to try a pistol-cartridge shoot at 3, 4, 5, and 600 yards. The receiver sight on the old 38/40 doesn't go high enough for that 600 yard critter so I filed a little notch in the top of the sight insert to use as an open sight which should get me the elevation to at least raise some dust at the 600 yard buffalo. We got an inch of rain yesterday so maybe the dang govm't will lower the fire danger level so we can have our September shoot in a couple weeks. Need to burn some powder!

Boolit Bub
    I'd like to do it, just for fun, something I am in need of having. I have a 94 in 38-55 and a new 94AE in 444Marlin, 95 in 38-72 and an 86 in 40-82, all 3 might be options.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver Scout View Post
    I'd like to do it, just for fun, something I am in need of having. I have a 94 in 38-55 and a new 94AE in 444Marlin, 95 in 38-72 and an 86 in 40-82, all 3 might be options.
    Absolutely!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast