MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Inline FabricationWidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
RotoMetals2
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Vintage 22 Rifles / iron sights / 50 yds / 'Good Groups' ?

Good stuff 303Guy... works like a charm.

Well I shot my last 2 cards early of the morning on Thursday and then went right to work on the stock and remaining blueing I had to do...my shooting hasn't improved just yet but I still have another trick in store for this ole'Girl.

Here's how she turned out this afternoon, I am rather pleased. A friend on another board said she doesn't look 86 years old anymore...just about 25 now. I figured that was a pretty good compliment. Anyway here's the pics. of the Remington mod. 33...

About that 'TRICK' I mentioned earlier..."do any of you have any experience working the sear of these old rifles? At the moment the trigger pull is between 4 pounds and 4 pounds 6 ounces...I would like to 'safely' trim that down to about 2 to 2.5 pounds?
    Is it doable & if so...what do I need to do to make this work?
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

I wish you didn't live so far away. I have an old rifle that could benefit from your touch.
    Nice work.

Going to try something new tomorrow. Remember this thread? ...
    I think that lab jack may be a fine tune for elevation? Got set up and the Internet man showed up to put us on a different WIFI so this is as far as I got...

I like that! it lets you use a single bag for a number of different rifle with the same front rest. No need for different height rear bags.
    I ran into that issue with a couple of rifles I have. I used a folded blanket under the rear bag. This works better.

Boolit Grand Master

Very nicely done cleaning and rebuilding the sight and stock. I've done much the same but I use Tung Oil - the pure type from Woodcraft. Mix with mineral spirits at 50/50 and over several days let the mineral spirits evaporate and the Tung Oil gets to about 70% for the final coat that you rub in. I sand in the first two or three coats - to about 400 grit - to use the sanding dust to fill the pores. Can't do this if you are staining it, though.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Mold
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020488.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	289606

Name:	P1020247_zps84b00738.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	289610

Pre-WW II Winchester 69A. It's the second from the top. Inherited it from my dad. Pretty typical accuracy for that rifle.

Hector
    Last edited by HectorFuego; 10-03-2021 at 01:14 AM.

Banned
    That 33 looks great. I have one on the winter project list, it looks worse than yours but the bore is clean and shiny. Alas it does not have that nice Lyman 55 sight. Test firing on the 50 foot indoor range showed it's a shooter, makes me glad I allowed it to follow me home. And stay inspired by this thread.

Ken

Boolit Grand Master
    Nice job Charlie on the refinish!! I need to get my butt in gear and do my old .22 even though I rarely shoot it anymore. It has almost 60 years of use and shows it.
    Don Verna

Thanks for all the kind words boys...but...it's not very difficult to get a minimal level of restoration going, these products make it real easy. If any of you are hesitant to tackle an old rifle, don't be...don't hesitate. When you get done I'm sure you'll reflect and say to yourself..."Next time I'll do 'such-n-such differently . . . " But, that's how it is with most of us, we live, do & learn as we go.

Sunday I shot my last card, that trigger is getting to be a real problem...if I can't loose a round without changing my POA then it's time to shut her down and figure the problem out.

Luckily HARRY TOBIN called and between the two of us and two hours sending photos back and forth & Harry doing the web search thing...we figured this lil'Bugger out.
    The problem lies with a gizmo called a 'striker release'...this is what it should look like on the top left side where it engages the striker extension inside the bolt...

This is what mine looks like...one side of the contact points is worn smooth and it was causing the heavy spring of the striker to push the trigger/striker assembly into the side of the rails they hang within and bind.

This is the striker release (top) & trigger, the right end of the arm on the trigger fits into the slot on the left side of the striker release and when the trigger is pulled it in turn pulls the striker release down away from the striker assembly within the bolt. Needless to say, I didn't buy this set from Florida...they are in terrible shape.

This is the underside of the receiver where the trigger hinges against the striker and pulls it down to release the striker extension...

The new/used part Harry found on the ebay and I ordered it. We should be seeing this rifle shooting much better groups in a couple weeks.

Boolit Master
    Interesting, OS OK
    The basic lock up of your Rem M33 is the same Double locking lug bolt handle ass'y that Rem continued in the later 500 series except for the M514 which only used.
    a single lock at the root of the bolt handle.

I wonder about the Rem 37 match rifle? probably the same Double lugs. ???
    beltfed/arnie

Banned
    I am glad you posted this; it will be easier to sort out the heavy, gritty trigger on mine. It feels like two files rubbing together. Looking at the striker release shows no unusual wear which corresponds to other wear points that show little actual firing over its life. The rifle looks like it spent all of its life tucked away in a corner of the barn in case of need. Seriously weathered but not beat up.

For those who have never had the chance to own a 33, they are great utility rifles made in a time when craftsmanship meant something.

Doing a little digging I found that I have a Model 33, OS-OK has the more desirable Model 33 NRA with the Lyman sight.
    Last edited by Pressman; 10-05-2021 at 08:33 AM.

I found an interesting comment about the various models, mentioning the mod. 33, 33-P & 33 NRA and hoped mine was the NRA?

However, since mine is just marked '33', I figured someone must have added the Lyman sight?

Boolit Buddy

Name:	C1821008-0535-4ED0-9437-17E73BA0990F.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	289811

Only 25 yards. Rem. 510 with open sights, CCI SV 15 rds., and 75 yo eyes.

johniv... I think that's pretty fine shooting for those 75 yo eyes. Well done. 'Varmints beware!'

Finally received the two 'striker releases' I ordered...I compared all three, picked the best and went after it and the trigger with 600 grit wet sand paper and a buffing wheel and jewelers rouge. Didn't want to change any angles of the sear surface, just make them slick. The trigger pull dropped from 4lbs. 8ozs. to 3lbs 8 ozs...the trigger is smooth now, after the small amount of 'take-up' it is crisp (if you can call that weight 'crisp'?)

I used a loop and photos I could 'blow up in size' to see the mating surfaces well...

Got back out on the 50 yd. line in style this morning with a utility cart I picked up a couple days ago...this is going to be handy for all the property work and tree trimming, hauling trash cans to the main road etc...but most important, hauling the toys to the 50 yd. bench!

This morning was the first time I've used the 'lab jack' for control of the rear bag...so far I like it, I can control vertical and horizontal very easily...

Here's what I was able to get done today...I am a little rusty with this rifle after the long wait for parts but I was able to start building some pretty good groups before I sent a couple of 'my fault fliers' down range.

Keep in mind, this ammo is 'Eley Contact', their cheapest .22lr rounds...it is $4.75/box-50 cnt. This ammo is outstanding in these old rifles.

Boolit Bub
    OS,
    I've enjoyed this post and it's been fun to follow what you're doing, keep it up.

This rifle may not fit here as it's not an old one, it's a new casting of an old one... A Wesson Mid-Range #1 which if it were original would make it right at a 150 years old these days... Frank didn't make any of the 20 or so he made in a 22rf but that didn't stop me... I have it shooting -just barely and my intentions with it are to make it shoot bullets I cast, breech seated, using Fed-Arms cases and charged with black powder. Today was it's maiden voyage shooting black - I've shot a few mfg. rounds through it and it has potential. For today, I only found time to load 8 rounds so two groups of 4 - here's the better group, the first group tried was nearly 2.5", the second group I beared down on the sights and the target, the wind let up a little and group stayed under a 1.5 MOA. My velocities were where I wanted them with 4 grains of 4F at 1030 fps but there's still some tweaking to do.

More testing soon... maybe even some more finish work on the rifle.
    Greg

Name:	MR85.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	290811Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MR82.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	290813Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MR84.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	27.2 KB 
ID:	290814Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MR86.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	290816

shutinlead... Of course you posted in the right place, we all enjoy seeing what others are doing...not just the stuff I putts around with.
    That's a cool repro, I hope you keep us posted with the progress you make.
    We've seen already that it's not just the rifle + ammo + shooter's ability that go into lil'groups but even the bench and the rest & bags we shoot off of.
    Oh yeah, the wind too...that unpredictable wind...so many things go into a lil'group!

Boolit Grand Master

OSOK where did you get your 'lab rack' - I've been looking for something like that for years. I'm 6'2" and all the range tables are way too short for me!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Because of my recent finding about the carbon ring in my match rifle, I decided to check my vintage rifles to see what was there.
    I found a mess.
    They are now clean but it took a couple of hours to clean all four of them properly. This HAD to be affecting the accuracy.
    It will be interesting to see if there is a significant improvement in accuracy.
    While looking at the inside of the barrels with my borescope, I found that the transition from the chamber throat to the rifling is very different between these older rifles and my new ones.
    The taper on the rifling is much longer and farther out than on the new rifles. The taper is probably three or four times as long before the rifling reaches full height on those old rifles. Far less abrupt. There is also a bit of space between the chamber mouth and where the rifling starts. Almost a freebore situation.
    I can't be certain, at this point, if that long taper is by design or from the years of use and thousands of rounds down the barrels. One of the rifles had a bore that seemed far less used than the others and it still had the long taper so I am leaning towards by design.
    This may have something to do with the accuracy and dependability of these old rifles.
    The rifle that had been my father's had some very minor pitting in the barrel which looked to be from having corrosive ammo fired in it long ago.
    Not bad but enough to notice. I had not noticed it having an effect on the accuracy but I haven;t fired it a lot either.
    Anyone with more information about these design differences, please chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    OSOK where did you get your 'lab rack' - I've been looking for something like that for years. I'm 6'2" and all the range tables are way too short for me!
    They call them Lab Jacks...got mine from Amazon... https://www.amazon.com/lab-jack/s?k=lab+jack

I use a 4' x 4' for a mould stand on my 10 pound Lee and the 6" x 6" for the rifles, the 6x6 is not as stable as the 4x4 because it has an extra set of scissors in it but it doesn't hinder me, I'd just prefer it solid as a rock.

The 6x6 I glued some tool box liner to for keeping the bag from slipping around...

tazman my vintage rifles also have a longer leade, don't know what to compare it to other than the custom CZ where the projectile jams the lands & I'd rather they did that.
    I hope you'll post what you find when you re-test for accuracy?

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast