MidSouth Shooters SupplyADvertise hereRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee PrecisionReloading UKRepackbox

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Vintage 22 Rifles / iron sights / 50 yds / 'Good Groups' ?

The pictures I posted in the other thread about the MTR and the carbon ring show how short the lead is on that rifle. The ammunition is engraved by the rifling in that barrel.
    The older rifles appears to be simply freebored for a little ways before the rifling starts. The reason I say this is there is a short distance between where the carbon ring ends and the rifling begins. It gives the appearance of a smooth metal tube right there.
    The freebored section also appears to be the same diameter as the groove diameter of the rest of the barrel. If it is, alignment should not be an issue.
    Unfortunately, I have no way to measure all this.
    All I can do is check the accuracy the next trip to the range.

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    The pictures I posted in the other thread about the MTR and the carbon ring show how short the lead is on that rifle. The ammunition is engraved by the rifling in that barrel.
    The older rifles appears to be simply freebored for a little ways before the rifling starts. The reason I say this is there is a short distance between where the carbon ring ends and the rifling begins. It gives the appearance of a smooth metal tube right there.
    The freebored section also appears to be the same diameter as the groove diameter of the rest of the barrel. If it is, alignment should not be an issue.
    Unfortunately, I have no way to measure all this.
    All I can do is check the accuracy the next trip to the range.
    From this link... https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads...2018-06-13.pdf
    SAAMI Z299.1 – 2015 (R2018)Voluntary Industry Performance Standards forPressure and Velocity of Rimfire Sporting Ammunitionfor the Use of Commercial Manufacturers

I get the following drawings, there's quite a difference in a match and sporting chamber. Think of all the differences we would see between all the manufacturers and them taking advantage of the tolerances in the drawings.
    It should give you an idea about that 'leade area' and length of chamber...

a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Interesting.
    I also note that these standards appear to be voluntary. I also doubt they were in effect back when my old rifles were built either.
    Someone posted a list of chamber dimensions for different manufacturers who had either named their chamber style or were just using what they thought worked better. IIRC those dimensions varied substantially also.
    That freebore area I noticed could easily be made to fit inside some of these dimensions.

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    Interesting.
    I also note that these standards appear to be voluntary. I also doubt they were in effect back when my old rifles were built either.
    Someone posted a list of chamber dimensions for different manufacturers who had either named their chamber style or were just using what they thought worked better. IIRC those dimensions varied substantially also.
    That freebore area I noticed could easily be made to fit inside some of these dimensions.
    I remember us talking about this some time back in one of the other threads I've posted but couldn't remember which. I thought that this publication here might be the minimum & maximum numbers and then they (the manufacturers) would choose between them what exactly they want to cut in their rifles.
    Wouldn't it be nice if there was an easy way to have our vintage rifle chambers shortened up so the rounds would engrave in the lands! If that were possible I recon it'd cost more than the old'Girls are worth?
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456