MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: 300 savage 99 reloading update

Boolit Mold

300 savage 99 reloading update

Hi guys sorry for the long (very long)delay.
    Was out of the country for work for a few months then winter time visiting parents and then another deployment.i thought i had posted results and realized i forgot.

Have not had much time to shoot as during my short time back in the states I have had my time taken up by my daughter and girlfriends visit.

Anyway just going to say I was able to get ahold of the savage 99 in 300 savage at my brothers and was able to make a few rounds for it

Made one using a flat based 150grain interlocks and 125 grain tnt bullets(got some cheaper and figured I try it.)
    Followed the advice here and the reloading manual for OAL. Fed a few to make sure they cycled fine.

Then loaded them up starting low and in .5 grain increments. The day i was able to shoot was rainy and only had about 50 yds to shoot

Fired 3 shots at 50 yds at the starting loads for the 150s and the 125s. Both were way off(scope is old an needs to be zeroed) but both bullet weights seemed to group reasonably well and cycled fine.

Hopefully down the road I'll have more time to shoot more and see which loads for both weights shoot the best and then test the best out to 200 yds or so and see.

I have a few bags of bullets I left there with cards saying bullet weight, powder type and grains, bullet type and grains. So maybe he will give it a go of he has time.

Loads were used with varget which is extinct around here and i don't have much left. So might have to start over anyway with different powder .

hopefully places will start to get supplies in and when that happens I plan to buy a lot of primers and keep it to like 3 versatile powders I can buy a lot of thst will work in a good selection of guns.

Mine likes 150 and 165gr SBT's and RL12, RL15, and AA2520 powder. I too, expected the flat base bullets to be more accurate (one never knows). I don't have a scope mounted on it, but have a "period" Redfield aperture sight that keeps it light, handy and plenty accurate for the are areas I hunt.

Boolit Mold
    The only powder I had was varget. Only a little left and sadly it was hard to get before and been impossible now.

I have lil gun for my 450 bushy, red dot(1lb) and shooters world precision rifle. None of which have loads for the 300 savage. So i used varget which did. Precision is supposed to be close to varget but they never responded when i emailed them about the 300 savage. Since I don't shoot much I figure just use varget and later maybe buy a pound of some other powder that has loads for it.

Im hoping once things get back to reasonable I can see what is regularly in stock and see what is good and stock up or at least buy a few without paying hazmat and find what works.

If I know what I will use and works then buying in bulk is worth the hazmat. Though id love to find some powders I can easily get in 8lb jugs locally and not have to screw with ordering.

Boolit Master
    My 99 does best with a 150 gr Hornady SST and 40 gr of IMR 4064.

Boolit Master
    I use 44 gr Varget with 150 Hornady InterLock or 150 Nosler Partition in one rifle Savage 99 .300 with 2.6 OAL magazine. A tang safety Savage 99 .300 Featherweight uses 180 Nosler Partition with 42 gr Reloder 15 with OAL at 2.75 for 2500 and 2" groups at 200 yards. I also load 42-43 grs BL-C2(temperature dependent) with a 125 Sierra for practice with the older rifle. Also excellent results with the old 180 gr Speer Mag-Tip and 37 gr Accurate 2520 at 2.75 OAL. A Speer 180 Hot Core showed higher pressure and allowed only 42 gr Reloder 15 in 2 other top tang Savage 99 .300's. The Hornady 150 Interlock works just fine on pronghorn or deer, the 150 Partition is my 'back-up' for elk. The 180's are for elk, have used the 125 Nosler Ballistic on pronghorn antelope with good results. Before Varget and Reloder 15, I had excellent results with IMR 4064 with 150gr and 180gr jacketed. I use 18 gr 4227 or 18 gr 5744 under a 190 gr spitzer GC at 310 for boolits. All cases - W-W Super, all federal 210M primers. The 300 Savage can be very accurate with the right load in the Savage 99, 1-1.5 MOA(maybe less) in some rifles. I do use the Redding Competition shellholders to allow full-length sizing with minimum case stretch/cartridge headspace. +.006 works on 3 rifles, .008 on 1, with other 99's in different calibers ranging from .004 to .010.