RotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RepackboxLee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: Even trade. Mulch for woodchucks. Need a recipe.

Boolit Grand Master

Even trade. Mulch for woodchucks. Need a recipe.

Was at a small garden center talking to the owner and he said he got invaded by woodchucks. They were eating all his greens like collards. Well, i can solve that for you says I so i get a few trucks of free mulch for getting them did.

Who has a good recipe for vegetable fed woodchuck.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    best I had so far was minimal pressure cooked with garlic and onion, potatoes and carrot to get it tenderized. then put wood chuck on the grill outside with oak or hickory fire to crisp the outside and give it that outdoor wood cooked flavor.
    but have had it in covered pan on top of stove with garlic and onion, started it out by stating with a little water, like you might do with frozen breakfast sausages,
    then let it cook good, sliced thin this way it tasted just about like roasted beef you find in the sliced foods dept at the grocery store.

Boolit Master
    I've quartered and cooked them in the slow cooker, can't remember the recipe or the timing.

some of my favorite eating, treat it just like a roast

Boolit Master
    My granny said remove the leg glands..

Moderator Emeritus

I slow smoke them in the pellet smoker... treat it like you would a pork butt or a brisket but I foil once it reaches stall temp to keep more moisture in the meat. Shred, add a little BBQ sauce, feed to friends without telling them what it is... until after they have eaten it!

Boolit Grand Master

Fricasseed Woodchuck

Remove all fat and glands , cut into serving pieces . Dust each part in seasoned flour and quickly fry in hot oil , brown on each side . Remove browned pieces to a plate . Add remaining seasoned flour to the hot oil and brown the flour , stir constantly (you are making a roux) untill a rich medium brown color is reached ... add chopped onion to the pan and keep stirring untill onions are soft.
    Add chicken stock or water to make a nice gravy , lower heat to low simmer add woodchuck pieces back to the pot to finish cooking covered . Adjust seasonings to taste . Cover and simmer slow & low , turn pieces over and stir gravy every 15 minutes , add water if gravy becomes too thick , cook for 1 - hour or until meat is fork tender and pulling away from the bones .
    Serve over white rice or mashed potatoes .
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 09-13-2021 at 01:15 PM. Reason: simmer on low heat with cover on pan .
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I grew up hunting and eating groundhogs. We just threw em on the grill.....the younger ones are better.
    NRA Benefactor