WidenersInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: How the heck do I clean this?

Boolit Master

How the heck do I clean this?

I've got a roll of lead sheathed telephone cable. The wire is multi strand, each with a plastic coating. I've never recovered lead from a source like this and for whatever reason, I'm concerned that the plastic is gonna contaminate the melt. Is my head just lying to me?

Boolit Master
    Slice it length ways with a razor knife and peel the lead out. Shorter lengths of the cable will be easier to work with.

Boolit Master

I would get as much separated as possible. The plastic will float to the top but it will make a lot of fire, smoke, and garbage to clean up.
    90% professional 10% mature

Boolit Grand Master

The cable sheath I've seen (high voltage underground cable) isn't fused to the cable/wires, sorta a semi-tight sheath. Slitting and peeling is what I'd do...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    Cut it, then take all those little insulated copper wires back to the scrap yard. They are worth far more in that condition than the mess you’ll make burning it off.

Boolit Master

Those hook blade roofers knife blades for utility knives might work well for getting the lead separated from the non lead.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Grand Master

The contractors that I have gotten it from cut it into short lengths and use Linemans pliers to pull the wire out. Most of what I've seen was cut into lengths of 2 to 3 ft. It looked like they used a sawzall to cut it with.

I wouldn't put the sheathing in my pot with the wire in it. That sounds like a big mess in the works.

Boolit Master
    I agree with JimB in post #5. Cut the lead cover, remove it and recycle the inner wires just as they are. A lot less mess to deal with and the recycler knows exactly what they are getting. You will never get all the garbage off the wire, just spend a bunch of time and fuel making a mess of things. Good luck.

Boolit Master
    The recycling for the copper wire is interesting. The wire gets fed into a nibbler where it gets cut into short lengths and then to a shaker which separates the copper from the insulation.

The nibbler will also easily vaporize an adult raccoon.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    The nibbler will also easily vaporize an adult raccoon.
    Ok, I gotta know more.

Boolit Grand Master

I use metal snips ( Aviation Snips ???) to cut the lead sheathing and peel it away from the plastic coated copper wire . The lead is not fastened and pulls off easily .
    You can keep some of the copper wire for wrapping and fixing and if a lot take it to the scrap metal yard ... copper at one time brought a fairly decent price .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RydForLyf View Post
    Ok, I gotta know more.
    My 23 yo daughter was learning to operate the machine which is inside. Raccoon was in the rafters and for no apparent reason fell into the machine. It exploded, bits of hair and pink mist. Machine didn’t even think about slowing down.

Boolit Master
    Scrapyards have wire strippers, a pair of pinch rollers with a fixed axe blade that splits the cable open. If you have a lot, let them strip it for the copper, you get the lead back.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Luber View Post
    Scrapyards have wire strippers, a pair of pinch rollers with a fixed axe blade that splits the cable open. If you have a lot, let them strip it for the copper, you get the lead back.
    Yep, I bought 300# of the split sheathing from a scrap yard. Good stuff.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

What's the diameter of the whole cable? The small cables 1-1/4" dia or less can usually be cut with a utility knife, clamped on one and a hook blade work.

Larger dia, I use an air hammer with a "seam ripper" chisel. I've done up ~4" telephone cable. There are about 2 gazillion wires in a cable that size. Save it and sell it for copper. Most scrap yards around here won't touch wire that has been "burnt" out.

And you DON'T want to melt the lead without removing the wire first. It will be the nastiest melt you will ever do. Exponentially worse than the worst range scrap you will deal with.

I've done both, and melting telephone sheathing with the stuffing still in is almost as much fun as juggling skunks.

P.S. it really is great lead.

Banned

Are you still juggling skunks?

Boolit Master
    I split the lead along it's length and peel the insulated wire bundles out of the split lead sheath. Carry the insulated copper wire back to the scrapyard for more lead scrap. Your actually saving them the labor cost to do it themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    Are you still juggling skunks?
    When I can't find any porcupines.

Boolit Master

May I suggest not substituting armadillos when neither porcupines or skunks are available on account of them being the only non-human species known to carry and transmit leprosy. Just saying....
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by oley55 View Post
    May I suggest not substituting armadillos when neither porcupines or skunks are available on account of them being the only non-human species known to carry and transmit leprosy. Just saying....
    Thanks for the tip, got enough problems already, don't need to complicate things with a disease of biblical proportions.