Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: Pictures of something long past

Boolit Master

Pictures of something long past

I posted earlier about the passing of Ronnie Milsap's wife Joyce. That was done as a way to remember her.
    But as for Ronnie,, my Dad was his first real manager,, and promoted him & booked him all over. (Dad's business was "Talent Attractions.") I've managed to salvage a few posters from that era,, and wanted to share them, highlighting Ronnie, & not take away from the notice about Joyce.
    These are from the happier times.
    My Dad had generic posters made up to be put on telephone poles & such as advertising. And when he performed at my Dad's nightclub, he'd print those as well. My Dad's nightclub,, was "The El Tango" and has a lot of history too.That was quite common back when. Here are two of them with Ronnie. The picture of him was the very first professional picture done of him as a performer. Notice the "Ray Charles" style. That was my Dad's idea. Enjoy these little pieces of history.

Another gentleman & group my Dad managed,, was Dennis Robinson & the original Atlanta Tams. Here's a poster of them.

Next, I have some of our original menu's from the El Tango. these were never folded or used. This is the cover & back of one. Top picture is the building, and the bottom picture is the dining room.

Lastly, is the inside of the menu. The prices always make me chuckle.

Boolit Man
    Dr. Feelgood & the Interns brought a smile to my face. They had a hit, sorta, when I was in high school. "Bald Headed Leena". That would be around 1963.

Boolit Master
    thanks for sharing this really great stuff, now there's a blast from the past, those were the days for sure, sorry I missed the dr feel good show, but prices on the menu got my attention, seashore combination, fish, shrimp, scallops and a crabmeat patty--- $1.00, large t bone steak $3.00, ham and eggs--one of my favorites, is $0.70. of course back then gasoline was like $0.20 a gallon.

A much better time in America......much harder, but much better! Thanks for sharing those photos and memories! memtb
    You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“LETS GO BRANDON”

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    thanks for sharing this really great stuff, now there's a blast from the past, those were the days for sure, sorry I missed the dr feel good show, but prices on the menu got my attention, seashore combination, fish, shrimp, scallops and a crabmeat patty--- $1.00, large t bone steak $3.00, ham and eggs--one of my favorites, is $0.70. of course back then gasoline was like $0.20 a gallon.
    Indeed. I'll take that $1 Seashore combo. Frog legs seem a little steep, though considering the Filet Mignon is $3
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for those pics.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy
    That is so, so great. Thank you for sharing that.

8mmFan

Boolit Master
    " Frog legs seem a little steep, though considering the Filet Mignon is $3"

Remember, this is a restaurant, and in the 60's, frog legs weren't easy to come by in most restaurants. And I know we didn't "by local or fresh" of I would have remembered the vendor. We bought off a food supplier.
    And think of this.
    Lake Lure is a tourist town, with a full time population of about 1000 or so. Find unusual food offerings like that back then anywhere outside bigger cities.
    Dad was exposed to a lot of good things in his youth, and desired to share such stuff with others.

Now for the fun piece of history.
    Look at my avatar picture. That's my Dad with his dance partner. He was a professional ballroom dancer prior to WWII. He had a "Dance & Charm" school prior to WWII. When the war broke out, at the age of 27 he enlisted, & went Airborne. 11th Airborne & served in the Pacific. He, along with 3 of the 6 brothers, enlisted. So out of 7 boys, 4 went to war. We lost 1 of my uncles on D-Day, at Normandy.
    But Dad was a VERY good dancer. He won a dance contest one time that had a few hundred entries. Top prize was $50, second was $25. Dad won, and Fred Astaire was second. Yes, Dad out danced Fred at least once. We have some of that stuff in our family records here. And even before my Dad passed at the age of 80, he was still as smooth as silk on the dance floor.
    My Mom was taught by Dad to dance with him. And with a nightclub in the family, I, along with my siblings all learned to dance. My sister, enjoys a variety of dancing, (but her husband doesn't.) My brother is a top Shag dancer. Me? I can dance to most anything,, but I excelled at clogging in my youth. I won a few clogging competitions many decades ago. But I can still dance to most stuff. Well, REAL music & dancing,, not the crap some people nowadays call dancing.

I quit Drinking Coffee in Restaurants when the price for coffee went from a Nickle to a Dime, wasn't gonna pay that ridiculous price. BTW refills then were free.