Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything

Thread: Mossberg MVP

Boolit Mold

Mossberg MVP

Purchase a Mossberg MVP I have been shooting factory ammo. Since is not much available I want to reload for this. 223/556 any suggestions on a little beaver bullet weight other then 55 gr. 1/9 twist. Also want to load several rounds through the winter what is a good overall brass length. Will shoot in the mvp and maybe an AR.

Your fired brass is correct length to load. Be sure to full length size them and set the overall length with bullet to fit your magazine(s)- to ensure that they fit both rifles. I can't help on the heavier bullets- I prefer 60grs and under for my 1-9" rifle and my 1-7"carbines(AR15s).

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I shoot 77gn SMK's in my 1-9 twist Savage rifles. 1/2" groups are common. 1MOA groups at 600yd are also common if the wind isn't blowing much.

The Sierra Match Kings are fairly tolerant of bullet jump as well.

And, yes, I know Sierra says to use at least 1-8 twist. All I can say is they work well with 1-9 twist at 2800fps.

The 75gn Hornady ELD Match bullets are almost as good. 69 SMK's are pretty good too.

I have a Savage model 25 with a 1 in 9 twist. I use 69 grain Sierra matchkings loaded about one grain below max using BLC2. With this rifle, I can get sub one inch groups at 200 yards on a calm day.
    I have used some 50 grain Hornady Vmax bullets that also do very well with the same powder charge.
    I never had any luck with the heavier bullets but you use what shoots well in your rifle.

Like TBG said, full length resize and load to fit in your magazines. This cartridge seems to be more forgiving of overall length than some others.

Boolit Master
    I use 69 gr Sierras and load them with 24 grs of Varget, 3000fps ish and shoots a cloverleaf 1/2" group at 100yds out of 3 Savage rifles and nearly that good out of a AR.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ironboolit View Post
    Purchase a Mossberg MVP I have been shooting factory ammo. Since is not much available I want to reload for this. 223/556 any suggestions on a little beaver bullet weight other then 55 gr. 1/9 twist. Also want to load several rounds through the winter what is a good overall brass length. Will shoot in the mvp and maybe an AR.
    With all due respect.

Try reading a reloading manual.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Bub

I ALSO HAVE AN mpv , long fluted barrel. I've tried many different loads and finally liked the nosler 55 gr orange tip with 25 grs of H335, coal at 2.255, and trimmed cases to 1.755. I've found it likes just about anything you want to put thru it out to 150 yards . The 75 gr AMAX with a COAL of 2.310 , loading as a single shot . I can get consistent hit's inside 3 inches at 200 yards .
    For woodchucks , and varmits the nosler 36 gr , or any gr ballistic tips are accurate all day long...The AR's will eat the same stuff all day long also , with the exception of anything longer than the mag length...2.260 ..it .has to be hand fed !

Boolit Grand Master
    For a little heavier bullet, try the 62g BTHP from Midsouth Shooters. IIRC, an uncataloged Hornady bullet. Inexpensive and shoots really well.

Boolit Bub
    Recently I was a RSO (range safety officer) at a rifle range and I was very surprised with the accuracy I witnessed with a Mossberg MVP 5.56 (.223) Patrol rifle with 16.5" barrel. Rifle had a Steiner P4Xi 1-4X and the owner was shooting 77 grain BTHP at 300 yards. It was just crazy accurate and I was very impressed.

My .223/5.56 MVP shoots very well and has been problem free with every 5 and 10 round magazines I have tried. Decent rifles for the $500.00 slot .

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohannon View Post
    My .223/5.56 MVP shoots very well and has been problem free with every 5 and 10 round magazines I have tried. Decent rifles for the $500.00 slot .
    Ruger American Ranch for the win! I love mine.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

I went for fast and flat with my MVP. I scored on some 50 gr. Vmax bullets and worked up a great sub MOA load for them in the MVP. I have shot some heavier ones but not worked up anything yet.

Most mags work fine in the MVP but I really like the Lancer 10 rd.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MVP bench Web.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	290037
    Last edited by Intel6; 10-10-2021 at 12:14 PM.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Mossberg , take a note ...... I'd really like to buy one of these for myself in left hand for Christmas !!

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    For a little heavier bullet, try the 62g BTHP from Midsouth Shooters. IIRC, an uncataloged Hornady bullet. Inexpensive and shoots really well.
    SHHHH!!

Haha, yes great shootin bullet for me too!!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw