RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataWideners
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What does my scope turret adjusts down when tightening down turret cap.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

What does my scope turret adjusts down when tightening down turret cap.

I picked up a Nikon monarch last winter amd just went to sight it in. I have it on a brand new DNZ medium scope mount. It’s mounted on a 30-06 Remington 7600. Ive owned the gun since new that was bought in 1984. I removed the see through mounts and mounted the DNZ for a cleaner and more stable look. I have a DNZ mount on another 7600 and it seems to work descent. I zeroed in my 7600 the other day at 100 yards. When I spun the up and down scope cap cover back in place I felt and heard clicks. I removed the cap cover and sure enough it moved to “7” from the “zero” mark I adjusted the cap to. I screwed the cap back in place with out adjusting it and it moved again. I removed the cap, put it back to zero, tested the POA which was perfect and then screwed the cap back on lightly. It seemed not to turn the turret this time. I called Nikon to see if they had longer turret covers. Seems they use to make them but don’t offer parts anymore. I could send the scope back in but will just get a suggested retail refund after months of waiting. I also thought maybe the new DNZ mount was pointing to far down? DNZ told me I could send it in for inspection. Any suggestions if it’s the scope or mount? I do have extra monarch scope caps and they seem to be the same height.

I’m thinking of removing the optic and trying it on my 35 whelen 7600 that I have the exact same style DNZ medium mount to rule out the variables?…Or I could switch the two DNZ mounts on the rifles and retry the optic back on my 30-06?

Boolit Master
    Sounds like the cap is grabbing the turret? A rubber "O" ring over the male side should allow more space.
    Last edited by cwtebay; 09-10-2021 at 01:21 PM.

The turret screw is 2 piece. It's stripped where it mates together. It won't tighten down so it sits proud. Scope was bought new so it was stripped from factory. If I send it in they will just refund me since Nikon has zero parts for them. Anyone know where I can buy a replacement turret screw?

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 09-10-2021 at 05:40 PM.

Boolit Buddy

Cut bait and run.......while Nikon made decent rifle scopes......optically, it's only a matter of time before it fails in some other way. Who knows if they honor the refund when that happens. Get your money back and purchase another scope from a current manufacturer that has a strong, long reputation. I see you possibly have a custom or "7mm" turret from the pic. MUCH easier to not hamstring yourself with custom turrets and run MOA/MIL dials and know your dope at the ranges you will be shooting. Then dial...........or hold with the reticle.

Boolit Grand Master

It might be able to be fixed, You would need access to a lathe, but it wouldnt need to be a big one.

Drill and tap the lower piece to just above the flats. I would recommend a national extra fine version.

Pick up a set screw This size and plenty long. You want to be able to remove the socket when the first end is inserted.

Drill and tap the second (top) Just below the depth of the socket. It will take a split sleeve to hold it in the chuck.

Very lightly face both ends

Red Loctite solid end into the top piece and let cure. clean well.

fit to depth and loctite the two together. Make sure you dont have to assemble them after assembly before locktiting.

If you have to remove to much when facing add a this shim between them

That is the turret it came with. Never noticed till now it said 7mm. Just looked 7mm per click at 100 meters or 1/4” click at 100 yards. I’m sure Nikon won’t have the part. I emailed them and was told they would let me know in one to two business days if the part is available. I bought it as a refurb from Natchez shooters supply. Now I know why it was a refurb. Nikon said they would warranty out the optic and refund me the suggested retail price. I’d rather get the replacement screw from them. I have 4 of the same optics and the glass is better then my leupold Mark 4’s. I own probably a dozen and a half Nikon’s. Only had one fail due to abuse. One I blamed a loose barrel on, and this one. Someone stripped the screw when assembling it apparently. The glass is deliciously bright and clear. It also tracks perfectly. It would be a shame to get a refund over a 2 second install, $2 part. I still have a 2.5-10 vx7 NIB I’d mount up but need 30 mm rings. I did experiment and found my scope turret still will turn the adjustment back and forth without the screw in place. I could get the same length screw and tighten it up. I just won’t be able to lift it back to zero on my turret without loosening the screw and retightening. If Nikon has a replacement screw I will end up keeping it.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 09-10-2021 at 10:17 PM.

One of my Nikon's had the quick target knobs on it where you can free wheel the knobs if you lift them up while turning. I had written down the number of clicks to bottom out each turret from zero. Walking out to my stand My orange vest snagged on the elevation turret and reset it. My hunt wasn't ruined for the day because I'd written down the clicks to zero, but I was ticked off. Hunted with the knobs taped up and called Nikon. They didn't offer a solid turret or screw. So I took the turrets apartment and removed the springs and replaced them with spacers. The screws looked the same as yours. One part is right hand threads and the other is left. I'd bet the suggestion to loctite the two parts together should work, if Nikon doesn't have spare screws.

I might red lol tite them together over the weekend while I wait to hear back. They sit proud of each other so the threads from the male end only seat about half way in. It looked like there was some white or grey glue where they came part that someone previously glued. Almost looked like JB weld.

It’s part number 3…

Mine also looked like they had rocksett or loctite on them. Heated them up with a soldering iron which made getting the small little screws apart much easier. I tried to find the pics, but they looked just like yours. Just took the springs off and replaced them with spacers so the caps can't lift up. I still tape the turrets when hunting with it though.

I’m not not a fan of open turrets myself. Leupold replaced an optic under warranty a few months back. They replaced it with an exposed turret scope. I sent it back to exchange it for a 2.5-8 vx I 3. Just a plain Jane cross hair with turret caps. Unfortunately it came with a big chunk of something stuck to the cross hairs. I sent it back 2 weeks ago. I received it 2 days ago. They replaced the original crosshairs with some extremely thick crosshairs. I sent it back in to have them replace the Crosshairs again with the original thin ones that came with it. Leupold tried to send me the upgraded 2.5-8 with an exposed turret and screw in thumb assist. Apparently the scope they sent me is discontinued already and has been charged to a tactical style. I passed and asked to have my crosshairs exchanged. I think leupold just removed themselves from the classic and vintage gun owner market. Leupold currently doesn’t offer an optic with closed turret caps ACCEPT for 3 of their entry level prove leader optics now! I just started liking leupold again because of their new customer service changes but won’t be buying any of their optics because I don’t like exposed caps.

Boolit Master
    IF it's necessary to back the adjustment screw out so far the cap is hitting it fix the problem by putting a shim under the front base mounting screws. An old credit card should be sufficent.

The problem is the turret isn’t snug down enough so the cap contacts the top of the turret and both turn down together on the last 1/4 to 1/2 turn.

Since I don’t own a tap and die set small enough I drilled the female end out so my male screw would seat into it flush. I then JB welded the halves together and put it in a vice to dry. Ill give it 24 hours and test.
    F

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 09-11-2021 at 02:41 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    IF it's necessary to back the adjustment screw out so far the cap is hitting it fix the problem by putting a shim under the front base mounting screws. An old credit card should be sufficent.
    I would be careful doing so. Almost a sure way to bend a scope.
    Rick

I'm not a fan of target turret knobs or thumb knobs for magnification adjustment OR bigger than 32mm ocular bells. Those features aren't hunter friendly.. But that's all that seems to be popular these days. I miss the simple fixed power scopes from Leupold, Burris, Redfield, and the K series Weavers

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Neither am I. This optic has covers...

Never made it over to where my screw is to test it. I'll give it a go tomorrow. I'd be shocked if it doesn't work.

JB weld did the trick…so far. I screwed the turret back on till it was tight. Sighted my gun in today and the turret was snug tightly so it did not turn when I tightened my scope cap down. It also lifts up so I can move my caps to the zero mark after adjustment. Nikon emailed me and said if the screw was available they would send it to me in 8 to 10 days. If not they will put one on order.

Nikon sent me a tracking number so apparently the scope screw is available.

Good news. The spring loaded turrets are a nice feature on scopes with caps, but on their non locking target turrets it is not.

I’m going to guess my couple of the original monarch 2 1/2 by 10’s I can unscrew the screw to set them at zero and screw them back down? The reason I ask is I went out and recited my muzzleloader the other day with the one I have on it and of course tried to lift it up on the original Monarch and they would not do it. I think I have three of the original monarchs and 2 1/2 x 10 if I remember right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast