Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Wideners Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winchester trapper

Boolit Master

Winchester trapper

at least 20 years ago I lucked into a couple never shot winchesters, one of them is a 1979 or 80 saddle ring 30-30 trapper just missing the box. I'm not sure if I should take it out and use it or cash in on it with the big money these guns are selling for these days.
    the other is a 26" barreled 66 centennial in the box.

Those Trappers are handy as can be. I'd keep it and sell the fancy one. Just my opinion.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I've had a Trapper since they were reintroduced By Winchester just before the Gun Division was sold off to form "USRAC". It's a great shooting little rifle. Just the thing for jumping the small coastal Mule deer out of their beds. Mine shoots into one hole at 50yrds, which is a long shot in the heavy Chaparral.
    I favor the 150gr Hornady RN. But with new regs, I've switched to the 140gr MonoFlex.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

I bought a neglected 1964 version 94 at a steal about 15 years ago and made my own SRC Trapper. It carries and points like a 30 30 Red Ryder. I love it !

.30-30 Trappers are keepers - I bought this one (bottom, below a Henry .22) about 30 years ago

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I had a trapper from the era and it shot VERY well .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Vendor Sponsor

I had two trappers about 1989 or 1990. One was in 45 Colt, the other 44 magnum. The 45 Colt kept shooting the wedge out of the rear sight on recoil, and the front band would NOT stay where I put it no matter how I tightened it. I ended up fitting a piece of square stock between the magazine and barrel, notched the bottom of the barrel and fitted the square stock very tightly into the notch, drilled the square stock for the screw to go through and that fixed it up pretty good, it never moved again after that.

The 44 was a real sweet shooter, nary an issue with it at all, but both guns were too noisy to carry in the woods for deer hunting.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

I have one each in 30-30, and .45 Colt. I shoot the 30-30 the most and love it for our thick Mi swamps. Neither will ever be sold. Luvz me some Trapperz!
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    This is just a personal opinion. In 1966, my Dad traded a very nice Winchester 32 Special 94 in for a 1966 Centennial Winchester rifle - JJRC, the Winny 66 Centennials retailed for $125.00. It sat in the gun cabinet and never got shot and of course the box was saved. He later bought a Golden Spike and a Canadian Centennial - same thing for those. Yea 0 the increased in value but so fd the dollar over the years. I'm sure there are collectors for them all but it seems like Winchester overdid the comparative thing. Over the years, I have run across used commerativies but they turn me off - again - a personal thing. I have seen prices for comparatives all over the place, but in reality, they are only worth what a willing buyer will pay for them. Will they appreciate in value? Probably - but so will the value of them in cash if invested wisely. My brother wanted the '66 when I settled my folk"s estate - solely because he "thought" it was worth a lot of money. I gave the Goldef Spike to my cousin so he could have one of his Uncle's guns - as far as I know it is probably collecting dust in a closet. I kept the Canadian - but Winchester used a lot of select straight grain walnut in their stocks and it was not dense - ie - if used normally in hunting the stocks will often dent much easier than the wood used in their older 94s. I soon traded it in on a vintage Marlin 30-30.

I don't know how many times I wished Dad had kept the nice vintage 32 special 94. I used to deer hunt with my father-in-law's 94 30-30 that he bought new in the 1930s. I wanted it in the worst way but he gave it to his idiot son who turned right around and sold it for a fraction of what it was worth because he wanted the money - his entire life he has spent his money like it was water but then he is on his 4th marriage as well and can't figure out why. Of your two rifles, it would be an easy choice for me - I would take the Trapper over any Commemorative any day. But I also learned a long time ago that if I have a firearm - it is going to be shot and enjoyed. Even used guns appreciate in value and a harder to find Trapper - even with rounds through it will always be a desirable firearm to those that love Winchesters.

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    The 44 was a real sweet shooter, nary an issue with it at all, but both guns were too noisy to carry in the woods for deer hunting.
    What did you find noisy about them?
    The noisiest rifles I have are my M1a, and my Garand. Both fitted with GI web slings. The spring clips, opposite end from the buckles, rattle like the dickens. I snap off small twigs, shove them inside the clip, and break them off. Works like a charm.
    Deplorable infidel

Duct tape that noisy saddle ring(been there, done that)......

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F2AC5D88-F18F-4078-B8E8-0AF5EC43B4AA.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	288507
    Built my own SR Trapper out of a .45colt 1894 Marlin. Handy rifle. Haven’t quite gotten my ammo right as it’s used for cas shoots and 10 rds are the minimum needed so when I cut it I made it so it will hold 10 of the shorter Schofield loads. However Schofield rims are larger than 45colt and I’m having to turn them down about .010”. Dumb thing is the CL will chamber them fine. Here it is with my 24 inch Cowboy Ltd. I’m not quite done as I want a carbine stock and rear sight on it. Need to redo the lever wrap too, been on the rifle forever.
    Last edited by Baltimoreed; 09-10-2021 at 11:19 PM.

I had a Winchester trapper, pre-safety 45 Colt. It was a great shooter, but the chamber was HUGE! The empty shell came out looking pregnant. Foolishly sold it in a moment of weakness. Had really nice wood on it too.

Boolit Master
    Bought the Canadian Centennial 20" carbine years ago. Put a Lyman globe front sight on it and a Williams rear sight on it. Call it my lever action match rifle. Few years later Cherry's Fine guns had the 26" barreled rifle and bought that. Love the way it hangs and more accurate than the carbine. Would I sell either today at the crazy prices folks are asking and getting for lever actions?. Nope enjoy shooting them too much. Frank

A little piece of rawhide cord on the saddle ring makes it quiet and also looks cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Duct tape that noisy saddle ring(been there, done that)......

No need to use ugly duct tape, just tie a loop of leather boot lace to the ring - it'll keep the ring off the receiver, and won't interfere with the lever operation unless it's cut too long.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Grand Master
    My trapper is a .357 Magnum that started life as a Winchester Ranger Compact (or something very similar), the name is almost longer than the carbine. It came with palletwood stocks, that is pretty close to an insult-- to pallets.

I put a nice set of XX Walnut stocks on it, and something was wrong; it didn't feel the same. Turns out the original stock is about an inch shorter than the standard length of pull for a Model 94.

A few minutes with a backsaw and refitting the buttplate, and all was good again.

Very handy little gun for hunting in thickets.

The Model 94 doesn't really handle the .38/.357 very well, longer cartridges work a lot smoother without wanting to pop out the top when feeding. One of these years I may buy some .360 Dan Wesson brass to try.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    I too have a 1980 SR trapper, 30/30. I traded a Remington 30-'06 auto even up back in the early 90s. The saddle ring is tight, never noisy. The gun shoots, loaded with 150 gr power points and Re7. And is one of my favorites. Won't be selling this one. Keep it.

Boolit Buddy
    Have a Winchester model 94 trapper in 357magnum and a Rossi 16" in 45 colt. Would love to find a 30-30 or 32 special if anyone would like to part with one.

Boolit Master
    ive got 357mag win trapper with the right load its very accurate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast