MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: Hollywood Presses - I know nothing!

Hollywood Presses - I know nothing!

Good morning everyone! Currently I have someone who may want to trade me some gear for a scooter Im selling. Im not really in the need for a new press, but I hear good things about these Hollywood presses.

Supposedly this is a Senior Turret. From the pic its missing the swage bar and I dont see any shell holders. What else could I be missing? I have been digging around and doing some searches on the castboolit site, but I am totally new to these presses so Im curious what any of the experts here could help with. What questions to ask the guy who has the press and what am I looking at here?

I apologize for the seemingly vague post. But the help of the collective group here would get me farther along a lot quicker than I could do by myself in a short period of time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hollywood.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	288483

Boolit Grand Master

What are you asking for the scooter? May be a good deal, may not be....
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    What are you asking for the scooter? May be a good deal, may not be....
    Im asking $1700 for the scooter. Im not sure if the press would cover the asking price of the scooter. So the guy may need to sweeten the deal to get me to bite. Im seeing prices from $800-$2000 listed for hollywood turrets on the auction site we all love. Thats what is throwing me off. Is there some major differences between any of the Senior Turret presses?

Ive been looking up a bit more online as I go. But the price differences for what seem to be the same press are throwing me off because today is the first day Ive ever even looked into Hollywood presses

Banned
    Senior Turret is worth what you can get for it. All Hollywood tools have some type of cult appeal that raises the price. That said, $300/$500 on eBay. Hollywood powder measure, hard to see but looks like 1st model would be about $125/$150.
    Three Vickerman seating dies, $75/$100 each. Lee tool, not much. Assorted dies depending on caliber maybe $100 total.
    Of course the price is a SWAG. You need to collect a lot to sweeten that deal, especially if you wish to resale the tools, figure the cost of your efforts to sell.

Ken

Thanks Pressman. Seems like what you said "Senior Turret is worth what you can get for it." explains the large discrepancy in prices I see for the same press currently for sale. The differences in prices seemed to be fairly large and it didnt really click for me.

But its understandable. Its not like you can go buy one of these new off the shelf today. So if someone really wants one they have to pay whatever they feel is acceptable for one.

I received an answer from the guy, and it does not have the swaging rod and only has one shell holder (no clue what it fits). I see that you can get a shellholder adapter on ebay to use the newer style shellholders, so thats good. And Im sure I could fabricate a swage rod if I ever decided to use the press that way.

Im going to stew on it for a bit and see if the guy comes up with anything else to add to the pot and get me interested.

If anyone else has any golden nuggets of info while Im thinking it over, Im all ears. More info to file away into the brain is always welcome.

Boolit Master
    Hollywood made some good stuff, fully as good as anything you can buy new today, but that shell holder issue can be problem.

Boolit Master
    The lee press ram is a direct fit for the A series rcbs presses.

Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    Senior Turret is worth what you can get for it. All Hollywood tools have some type of cult appeal that raises the price. That said, $300/$500 on eBay. Hollywood powder measure, hard to see but looks like 1st model would be about $125/$150.
    Three Vickerman seating dies, $75/$100 each. Lee tool, not much. Assorted dies depending on caliber maybe $100 total.
    Of course the price is a SWAG. You need to collect a lot to sweeten that deal, especially if you wish to resale the tools, figure the cost of your efforts to sell.

Ken
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Boolit Buddy
    The shell holder is not a problem since a universal shell holder is available on ebay for around $25.
    The swage bar/tie down rod and nuts with your choice of knurled nuts or hex are available from Hollywood Bob. He is the owner of Hollywood and the remaining inventory. He also manufactures many of the parts that may be missing when these machines change hands. He also has primer posts and turret handles if you need those. If your deal is completed you can contact him through email at sedroc@centurytel.net
    Last edited by John Wayne; 09-12-2021 at 06:43 PM.
    HOLLYWOOD Collector Left hawg 405#, right one 315#, had my elderly neighbors granddaughter treed and why I got the call. Both charged, one from 20' and one from 40'. Thanks to the good Lord and Samuel Colt I won. May God bless our Lawmen & Soldiers!

Boolit Master

Yes, Hollywood-specific and other shell-holders are readily available on ebay. Hollywoods are made to closely fit the holes in Hollywoods, while other makes may be small and move around. I own both.

The true Hollywood in the biggest one. The others were made by RCBS, CH/4D, and ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hollywood-typeShellholders.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	288643
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Grand Master
    On the auction site, look at completed transactions for to see what folks are paying. Also, in the last few months people have been driving prices up. I would not buy a press as an investment unless I got a good deal on it. If you already have one or two good presses, do you need another one?

Makes more sense to me to buy a new RCBS RC for $180 or Co-Ax for $350 (I have both). But I am not a collector.

If your scooter is worth close to $1700, I would sell it for cash. No single stage press is worth close to $1700 IMO.
    Don Verna

Boolit Mold
    To put it nicely, the guy is trying to take advantage of you if he thinks it would be a even up trade.

Boolit Grand Master

Also ... make sure all the parts are there . Pressman would know ... and make sure there is some means for installing shell holders .
    In the worth of something ...missing parts and shell holder adapters have to be considered ... some are easy and cheap ...others are harder to find and expensive.
    Pressman looked at a press I was going to buy , Eagle Cobrs 300 , told me where to get a adapter to use snap in shell holders ... I bought the press for a cheap price and the adapter from CH4D and the press is back in service on my bench .
    If you plan on using this press and need parts CH4D might have some universal parts.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Thanks for all of the replies everyone. Got some good info here and also from reading a bit more online about this press. I like the press, but even with some other items the guy was going to toss in I didnt feel that it was a good enough deal for me to make the trade.

I sold the scooter for cash and Im happy about what I got for it. Definitely a better value than what I felt I would have got out of the trade for the press.

The best thing about this (other than cash in my pocket lol) is now if I ever come across a Hollywood press at any of the swaps or gun shows I feel a bit more comfortable determining value and knowing what Im actually looking at/for. To me, that knowledge has a lot of value.

not a good deal for you, run away.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1308 (2).jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	289447 i bought these two universal hollywood presses for under 100 dollars, i just need the find the time to clean them up. they both work and i have loaded shells on them with a rcbs shell holder adapter.

Boolit Buddy
    You won't find Hollywood presses for $100 anywhere now.
    I paid $350 for my Universal years ago and will never part with it!!