WidenersReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading

Thread: Casting AR uppers in recycled Iron?

Casting AR lowers/uppers in recycled Iron?

I suppose people make AR uppers and lowers out of anything these days, but do you think making an AR upper out of scrap iron would be possible? I've heard of ductile iron and its many uses in things like decorative drainage grates, car parts, and pipes. Obviously, it would lack the light weight and corrosion resistance of Aluminum, and would probably begin rusting the moment it's pulled out of a mold. But, I suppose it would be durable enough to be machined but I think it would be an interesting project for someone with the gumption and the metal casting equipment.

While I suppose that Aluminum has a lower melting point, I'm unsure how well a home-cast aluminum upper would turn out.

I could imagine someone also touting the rifles as "Green" since they would be using recycled iron that would otherwise be going to waste somewhere else.
    Last edited by VariableRecall; 09-10-2021 at 11:55 AM.

Boolit Master

Do a search for "Bill Holmes Vol. 5 Home Workshop Guns"
    An old Cherokee was teaching his grandson about life. "Inside me two wolves fight," he told the boy.
    "One is evil - he is anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity, resentment, lies, false pride, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, generosity, truth and faith. The same fight is inside you - and every other person, too."
    The grandson thought for a minute and asked,"Which wolf will win?"
    The old Cherokee replied, "The one you feed."

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by VariableRecall View Post
    I suppose people make AR uppers and lowers out of anything these days, but do you think making an AR upper out of scrap iron would be possible? I've heard of ductile iron and its many uses in things like decorative drainage grates, car parts, and pipes. Obviously, it would lack the light weight and corrosion resistance of Aluminum, and would probably begin rusting the moment it's pulled out of a mold. But, I suppose it would be durable enough to be machined but I think it would be an interesting project for someone with the gumption and the metal casting equipment.

While I suppose that Aluminum has a lower melting point, I'm unsure how well a home-cast aluminum upper would turn out.

I could imagine someone also touting the rifles as "Green" since they would be using recycled iron that would otherwise be going to waste somewhere else.
    Iron is great for machine tools, but not so good for guns. Ever dropped a cast iron skillet? They can shatter like glass. You need manganese and some other additives to turn the iron into steel, and they have to be in the correct proportions.

Bill

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Scrounge is right. Cast iron is way to brittle for that type of use.

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Scrounge is right. Cast iron is way to brittle for that type of use.
    I would prefer my potential AR not to shatter when dropped, come to think of it.
    Then again, cast iron was how people made many iron parts for centuries.
    When alumninum is easily machined and accessible, might as well upgrade to that if you're talking serious use.

I'm surprised no one is selling a SS flat top upper. I've seen SS lowers and a couple SS A2 uppers, but no flat tops. I'd be worried that the relatively thin snout would crack off if made out of cast iron similar to how the cast aluminum uppers were cracking as well as the early carbon fiber ones.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    If you are into casting parts, perhaps a bronze alloy could work.

Boolit Grand Master
    In my opinion, making uppers and lowers for an AR type rifle in anything heavier than aluminum makes no sense. It is supposed to be a light handy gun.

I like the weight and handling of an A1 over an A2 although the brass deflector and easily adjustable sights are nice.

The only place for an AR/M16 heavier than about 7½ pounds is long range match shooting, at least to me.

Robert

Boolit Master
    my piston operated ar is heavy enough compared to a normal ar, can't imagine wanting to add more weight to any gun if its not necessary

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    If you are into casting parts, perhaps a bronze alloy could work.
    Like the Henry Rifle of old, living again in shiny brass in .223! Now that's an idea...